Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Fixtures

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Im not going to get too worked up about this change in structure.
    As you said, its basically rearranging deck chairs so the fai can give the appearance of trying to improve the league without actually doing anything drastic.
    The underage leagues have been a big success the fai have improved other things like introducing the wage rules, but a blind man can see that the main issues affecting the LOi are that the facilities need improving, clubs need more money, and the league needs to be promoted and marketed better, WAY better.
    Basically, the FAI is only interested in implementing change to the LOI that doesn't cost them money. Their Number 1, 2 and 3 concerns as an organisation are clearly paying down the debt on Lansdowne Road. Until that's done they won't be 'wasting'any money on less important issues like the League. I just hope that by the time they accomplish that objective that a) There s something of a league left for them to consider supporting, and b) that they haven't got wedded to a culture of not funding the LOI.

Changing to a 10 team premier has some benefits though. The premier will become more competitive,
    Will it ? Surely it'll only be more competitive at the bottom, as it's not going to magically make mid and lower table teams any better. And will fans not tire of playing the same old teams all the time ?

and the 1st div can now become a proper division. In fairness, an 8 team division is a complete joke.
    Maybe if the FAI made entry into the LOI more attractive and less financially punishing, they would've been able to get a 10 team First Division without having to plunder the Prem to do so.

The austrian premier has been 10 teams for yrs and they seem to get along ok.
    There is no genuine comparison between the LOI and the Austrian League. Not on attendances, stadiums, popular appeal etc. Leaving aside Dundalk and Rovers' Europa League exploits, our peer group in terms of how the LOI is set up, funded and attended is much closer to the likes of the Irish and Welsh Leagues. Sad but true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    The meeting was last night no official word anywhere on what happened and no Fixtures. FAI only interested in change if its costs them nothing rather than actually spending money and doing their Jobs.

it
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    The meeting was last night no official word anywhere on what happened and no Fixtures.
    Which actually begs the questions, is there something going on in the background that nobody is aware of? Could there be some sort of legal challenge from a club / group of clubs about the change? Or, it is a case that they just haven't even bothered to draw up the fixture list yet?
    Up the Harps!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    The fixture list should be the same regardless of how many are going down surely?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The fixture list should be the same regardless of how many are going down surely?
    You would think so. But it usually includes dates for play-offs, etc. so if it's reducing to 10 they're won't be any play-offs.
    Up the Harps!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    This is mad Lads. we are all LOI supporters who want to start thinking about next season and it looks like we will be waiting until early January before we know who the hell we are playing in Feb.
    Half the craic is planning and thinking about trips and easy or hard starts etc etc....whats keeping them GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Will it ? Surely it'll only be more competitive at the bottom, as it's not going to magically make mid and lower table teams any better. And will fans not tire of playing the same old teams all the time ?
    What i meant is that the prem div would be minus 2 weaker sides, which means the standard of the div as a whole will be higher, provided there are no major changes in other variables like prize money etc.
    Teams already play each other at least 3 (and sometimes as often as 6) times a year. Changing from a minimum of 3 meetings a year to a minimum of 4 meetings a year isn't enormous. For me it's a price worth paying to make the 1st div a 10 team league.

Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Maybe if the FAI made entry into the LOI more attractive and less financially punishing, they would've been able to get a 10 team First Division without having to plunder the Prem to do so.
    That would be the perfect scenario wouldn't it, but as you said yourself, the FAI will be spending sweet F all on the league until the Aviva is paid off so i won't be holding my breath for them to make it less financially challenging for newcomers any time soon. In the meantime, we need to make the best possible structure we can from the current 20 clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    What i meant is that the prem div would be minus 2 weaker sides, which means the standard of the div as a whole will be higher, provided there are no major changes in other variables like prize money etc.
    Teams already play each other at least 3 (and sometimes as often as 6) times a year. Changing from a minimum of 3 meetings a year to a minimum of 4 meetings a year isn't enormous. For me it's a price worth paying to make the 1st div a 10 team league.

That would be the perfect scenario wouldn't it, but as you said yourself, the FAI will be spending sweet F all on the league until the Aviva is paid off so i won't be holding my breath for them to make it less financially challenging for newcomers any time soon. In the meantime, we need to make the best possible structure we can from the current 20 clubs.
    So, you're agreeing that this change actually provides no benefit at all other than making the First Division look marginally better off?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    So, you're agreeing that this change actually provides no benefit at all other than making the First Division look marginally better off?
    Making the prem a higher standard is another benefit imho.
    Given we have 20 teams and the fai seem set on having 2 divisions it only makes sense to have 2 10-team divisions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I do actually think it could improve the first division if they keep the play offs better clubs and better standard of player will have to drop down there. First wasn't half as dire when at one stage there was the likes of us Waterford Shels Monaghan with decent teams and the times Derry and Cork were there. I know there won't be a play off this year due to the change like but if it was brought back once it was 10 and 10 then could have some really competitive years in the first.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Any word on the Athlone Town situation ? The silence has been very worrying.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    I'm already looking forward to the expanded 12 team Premier Division in 2021 after the last two failed attempts at a 10 team division lasted for 3 seasons
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    For those sating it may improve the first division, I have a question

Did it improve the first the division the last couple of times they tried this?

I don't remember any significant improvement

I also ask how to the smaller and regional clubs improve with the money, big games, tv exposure etc all concentrated with the 10 Premier team
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post

Definitely no improvement previously, but it may improve the division marginally this time round. Not for good reasons though, at least the last two occasions the First Division, was well.... First Division standard, now in 2016 most of the top Intermediate & Junior sides are of higher standard than the horrifying crap on show in Ireland's so-called second tier.

What's going to happen now we're adding two Premier Division clubs and many Premier Division standard players unavoidably to the worst First Division ever with awful football, awful attendances and poor commercial opportunities, that is not progression and is not improving anything for anybody. It's dragging two clubs and some decent part-time standard footballers into the gutter of the First Division, any improvement will be very marginal and the lack of money in the First Division will just drag two clubs unnecessarily downward.

Domestic football in this country needs a proper pyramid system and this is another 3 years whatever wasted on the re-arranging to the same failed LOI structure for the sake of absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by total hoofball; 21/12/2016 at 9:29 PM.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post

I also ask how to the smaller and regional clubs improve with the money, big games, tv exposure etc all concentrated with the 10 Premier team
    There's a higher percentage of Dublin clubs in the first division than the premier. Not sure why you bring regional into it when Dundalk and Cork have dominated the past 3 years

Anyway the biggest difference between the first division now and the last time is that it's going from 8 to 10. An 8 team league is an abomination

I don't think it really matters one way or the other for the Premier Division whether it's 10 or 12. Can see pros and cons for both but it's just tinkering

I am enjoying people losing the ref here though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    There's a higher percentage of Dublin clubs in the first division than the premier. Not sure why you bring regional into it when Dundalk and Cork have dominated the past 3 years

Anyway the biggest difference between the first division now and the last time is that it's going from 8 to 10. An 8 team league is an abomination

I don't think it really matters one way or the other for the Premier Division whether it's 10 or 12. Can see pros and cons for both but it's just tinkering

I am enjoying people losing the ref here though
    This is my main reasoning behind it improving the first 8 is a farce.

I am praying they don't implement this ridiculous split in the league thing from Conroy though.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Fixtures are out at 1 o'clock today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Fixtures are out at 1 o'clock today.
    Its like Christmas morning .....
    Please Santa give me bohs for first home match

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Hoping for limerick away..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Harps v Cork
    Bohs v Derry
    Galway v Drogheda
    Pats v Bray
    Limerick v Sligo
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast