Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Fixtures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    If relegation could kill finn harps it doesn't say much for the people running finn harps, even with one down and one playoff they're kind of rolling the dice.

As to the "big five" why in the name of jaysus would bohs want three relegated this year. I know as a club they employ admitted sex offenders and sell bits of land more than once but voting to relegate yourself would be extra dumb.

For my own part, I'm in favour of ten teams provided Limerick finish in the top ten. If they don't I think it's a ridiculous idea.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Where are you getting this information from. Who are the "big 5". Why are they considered "Big", is it because they have finished near the top? Is it because they are pushing for this?

Not a single source has been quoted here, people are taking rumour as fact. If we have a ten team league it will be because the FAI want it.
    I'm just using the term 'Big 5' - I don't know the 5 clubs. However, the teams who finished 1-10 in the Premier Division have been meeting about this. Some of those 10 wanted all 20 clubs considered. Five of the 10 want a 10 team top flight. The other 5 don't. That's before the remaining 10 clubs are even asked for their opinion. I don't know if it is the FAI who have asked these 10 clubs for their opinion, or if it is the 10 clubs being brought together. However, the FAI are using the Conroy report and the findings of these 10 Premier clubs in the meeting today in Abbotstown and all indications are that this will be the outcome. And, it has been reported in a number of sources last week (Irish Times on Friday/Saturday) that FAI were meeting on this today.

Whether you want to believe it or not these meetings have happened and it's a split decision of 5 for and 5 against as to a 10 Team League in 2018. However, that's all it it at present - a discussion between the 10 teams that I mentioned. However, the FAI are well aware of the discussions and this is being used today in their meeting. It will be announced that this is one of the findings of the Conroy Report (which it is) but it's the only finding that is being implemented. Remember Conroy also proposed a mid-season split. This is not going to happen.

What I can't understand is that the likes of Cork and Dundalk this season complained about fixture congestion and too many midweek fixtures. Assuming they are two of the 5 that want to decrease from 12 to 10 (nothing to say they are 2 of the 5 though) but they can't then complain about fixture congestion and too many midweek fixtures when they have backed a proposal to increase the number of games from 33 to 36.

And remember, Conroy came out with the 10 team idea based on discussions with clubs / sponsors / key stakeholders. I wonder did the FAI / Conroy consult with the major stakeholder before today's vote - THE SUPPORTERS.
    Up the Harps!!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954 View Post

What I can't understand is that the likes of Cork and Dundalk this season complained about fixture congestion and too many midweek fixtures. Assuming they are two of the 5 that want to decrease from 12 to 10 (nothing to say they are 2 of the 5 though) but they can't then complain about fixture congestion and too many midweek fixtures when they have backed a proposal to increase the number of games from 33 to 36.
    So, you don't know if Cork and Dundalk are in favour of this change or not?

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    He still hasn't said where hes getting this information.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    I wonder did the FAI / Conroy consult with the major stakeholder before today's vote - THE SUPPORTERS.
    We prefer the term 'tribes' now.

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    He still hasn't said where hes getting this information.
    I know someone that was involved in the 'process' over the last couple of months.

Here's a bit from today's Irish Times on it: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...main-1.2912897
    Up the Harps!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I know someone that was involved in the 'process' over the last couple of months.

Here's a bit from today's Irish Times on it: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...main-1.2912897
    You know someone involved and yet you don't remember that the Conroy report did seek input from fans through online surveys? You also know that its "5 teams" but you don't know which 5? That sounds odd to me.

Forgive me if I don't take this as gospel. I don't doubt that we may well go to a 10 team league, but there is no evidence to say that any clubs are driving that. The only clubs mentioned in that article are Pats and Rovers but without any quotes.
    Several clubs have been key players in the PCA.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I know it's five clubs, but don't know who they are. A lot of what I have said in this thread is in that report by Emmet Malone who has his ear very much to the ground in all things LOI.

The jist of what I was saying is that a select few clubs want a 10 team league and that a lot of club aren't even been afforded the opportunity to be involved in these discussions - 1st Division clubs in particular.

The 20 clubs in the League should be of equal standing - isn't that what being involved in a League is all about. But they're not. The 10 team league is something that is driven from a handful of clubs who feel they shouldn't have to be playing games against the likes of Harps, Longford, Waterford, Wexford etc. as they see it as bringing the standard of the league down. They think that all games should involve big Dublin derbies with a select few from outside the pale like Cork, Derry and Sligo.

And, just because the Conroy Report suggests a 10 team league doesn't make it the right decision. Why in this country do we constantly change things, realise they are wrong but go and do the same thing again in a few years time. The 10 team league didn't work in the past and all it will do is send more clubs to the graveyard that is the First Division.
    Up the Harps!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I didn't day it was a good idea. I said it was a terrible idea. But the FAI are bought into it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    10 Team League confirmed for 2018 season. FAI will make official announce shortly.
    Up the Harps!!

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    The FAI have given up on getting new clubs into the league with this. They're just moving pieces around to make it seem better. At least it's not bleak!

A real dogfight in the bottom half next year. Limerick, Galway, Harps, Bohs, Drogs could all be scrambling for 9th depending on how things turn out.

No play-offs in the First could also turn that division into a real bore if one team pulls away.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    10 Team League confirmed for 2018 season. FAI will make official announce shortly.
    Hmmmm.. the last time they had 10 the decision was taken to revert back to 12.

I hope it doesn't pull up the drawbridge on any teams progressing in the underage leagues who might look to join at senior level.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Is there anything to be said for a good DVD?
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Not good ....diversity is what is good about the league.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    If relegation could kill finn harps it doesn't say much for the people running finn harps, even with one down and one playoff they're kind of rolling the dice.
    Harps didn't have a Pat O’Sullivan over the past 6-7 years to bring in loads of money or don't a city full of local companies in which to source sponsors, most of the big companies in Donegal are foreign owned and conduct their business outside of Ireland so have little to zero interest in sponsoring a Irish football team. The Harps board and day to day staff(outside of playing staff and team management) are all volunteers who do the work in their free time many after working full time jobs.

They have done tremendous work to keep the club ticking over for past 10 years or so, getting promoted in 2015 and staying up in 2016 on a fraction of the budget the team around them were spending was nothing shorty of miraculous
    Last edited by Neish; 20/12/2016 at 9:27 PM.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Harps didn't have a Pat O’Sullivan over the past 6-7 years to bring in loads of money or don't a city full of local companies in which to source sponsors, most of the big companies in Donegal are foreign owned and conduct their business outside of Ireland so have little to zero interest in sponsoring a Irish football team. The Harps board and day to day staff(outside of playing staff and team management) are all volunteers who do the work in their free time many after working full time jobs.

They have done tremendous work to keep the club ticking over for past 10 years or so, getting promoted in 2015 and staying up in 2016 on a fraction of the budget the team around them were spending was nothing shorty of miraculous
    None of that changes his point though. If the club were banking on staying up even if leagues stayed the same it doesn't say much and they were in trouble anyway.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If 10 years in the First Division didn't kill Harps how would relegation after two years do the same? From what I've seen, Harps aren't overspending and they have a good core of local players who can be relied upon to stay unless Derry come calling, plus they have the capability to be one of the top 7 or 8 supported teams in the country. That seems a pretty stable base for a club in either division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Instead of actually looking at real change where the league would be marketed and financed properly the Fai decide to change the deckchairs on the titanic. 10 team premier didn't work before Won't work now.

We have teams already spending crazy money to ensure survival or of whom Bray has probably the smallest support in the league . The last 2 reports that the fai have published have done nothing bar saying that JD and the fai are brilliant in the way they administer the league and it's all the clubs and supporters fault that the league is struggling.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    10 team premier didn't work before Won't work now.
    Im not going to get too worked up about this change in structure.
    As you said, its basically rearranging deck chairs so the fai can give the appearance of trying to improve the league without actually doing anything drastic.
    The underage leagues have been a big success the fai have improved other things like introducing the wage rules, but a blind man can see that the main issues affecting the LOi are that the facilities need improving, clubs need more money, and the league needs to be promoted and marketed better, WAY better.
    Changing to a 10 team premier has some benefits though. The premier will become more competitive, and the 1st div can now become a proper division. In fairness, an 8 team division is a complete joke.
    The austrian premier has been 10 teams for yrs and they seem to get along ok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Any word on the fixtures?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast