Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: League of Ireland brand review.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    If nothing else JD will certainly not be enjoying the open ridicule from those journalists present. We know how *****ly he gets when he's personally linked with anything approaching a failure. I wonder if your man got paid up front?
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    That report from what I've read so far is a complete shambles. If I produced that for a client, I'd expect not to get paid. The Report basically insults the consumers of the product, while absolving a key stakeholder of any wrong doing in the management of the product. Where else would you see such madness?!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Again have not read the report, but people should give the guy a hearing. Maybe the soccer national/Dublin media feel a certain custodian/gatekeeper role towards the LoI, and that is fair enough, but some of them have come up with what some would consider ridiculous ideas in the past.
    I was at the latest Dublin derby at Dalymount 2 months back, and as a neutral you could say there was something "cool" about being there that night. Good number of foreign soccer fans there that night for example, who unlike most Irish fans apparently didn't see anything strange in doing so. We got to expand the supporter/spectator base, everything else in secondary.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    If I produced that for a client, I'd expect not to get paid. The Report basically insults the consumers of the product, while absolving a key stakeholder of any wrong doing in the management of the product. Where else would you see such madness?!
    You're assuming the entire point of the report wasn't to absolve the key stakeholder of any wrongdoing. If the FAI were to write their own report it would be identical to that one.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Again have not read the report, but people should give the guy a hearing. Maybe the soccer national/Dublin media feel a certain custodian/gatekeeper role towards the LoI, and that is fair enough, but some of them have come up with what some would consider ridiculous ideas in the past.
    I was at the latest Dublin derby at Dalymount 2 months back, and as a neutral you could say there was something "cool" about being there that night. Good number of foreign soccer fans there that night for example, who unlike most Irish fans apparently didn't see anything strange in doing so. We got to expand the supporter/spectator base, everything else in secondary.
    Ah come off it. In one slide he referred to "Saint Pats", "St. Pat's" and "St Pats".
    This shows he hasn't even revised the work himself.
    The similarities between the FAI's thinking regarding John Delaney and fans suggest he can't have independently arrived at those thoughts.
    Apparently he suggests clubs have a big screen to show instant replays of goals! I'd love to see that alright but the cost seems to have been completely ignored.

To be fair I haven't read it but even the above suggests it was a complete waste. When I heard a few months ago that this guy had never been to a game and knew nothing about the league I thought that was a good thing. Not if he was just going to spoof his way through the whole thing though.
    I really hope there is more content in there in terms of branding.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    You should really give it a read/watch first before you say give him a chance. I think you will quickly change your mind.

In short it's the fans fault that the league is struggling. John Delaney and the FAI have done a fantastic job (no joke he said that).

He said they should get EA to show EA competitions (whatever they are) at half time on the big screens at matches. As in he seems to think there are big screens at LOI grounds.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Change the name to "The League of Ireland sponsored by the SSE". Ok then that's fine I'm sure SSE Airtricity will be grand with that.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I read the report , it's embarrassing full of unprofessional coloquilisims and lacking any substantive ideas. The fai should refuse to pay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    I’d sit down a read a report Tom The Gom had put together quicker then wasting my time reading what that fool tried to present yesterday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    You're assuming the entire point of the report wasn't to absolve the key stakeholder of any wrongdoing. If the FAI were to write their own report it would be identical to that one.
    I'm not assuming that at all. I know it was. What I'm saying, is what other Organisation would produce a report that more or less shifts the blame onto the Customer and away from themselves. It would be marketing suicide but to the FAI, it's par for the course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I don't know, ye are being awfully harsh. I've no time for your negativity this morning, too busy researching how to get Youths away to Chicago Fire and Harps away to Fort Lauderdale on July 4th next

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Hogwash anyone ?
    Large supplies of the above are freely available at the FAI offices out in Muppetstown.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    While the vast majority of this report seems to be a complete and utter shambles, (it honestly reminds me of a Powerpoint presentation put together at the back of a classroom 10 mins before it was presented), he actually touched upon 1 point that i agree with... Camera angles and the position of the TV gantry.

This might sound like a trivial thing, but when I see LOI on TV I’m frequently frustrated by how poor the product looks, mainly due to the poor positioning of the gantry.

Most casual soccer fans in Ireland are used to watching CL and PL soccer from the perfect viewing angle on TV. If LOI grounds look better on TV, it might convince viewers to actually attend the games in person and it could even encourage TV networks to show more matches.

LOI games get little TV coverage as it is, so the clubs should really make sure that the product looks as good as possible on camera. Derry are probably the worst culprits. They’ve a brilliant curved stand, but the gantry sits inside it, facing the other side, which is extremely unsightly. Whenever Setanta/Eir are there for a live game they must erect a scaffold or something because they always have the camera pointed at the curved stand and it looks great. Luckily this should be fixed with the creation of the new stand but they should have erected a permanent gantry on that side years ago.

Sligo’s gantry is too close to the side-line and too low, as is the case with many grounds, like Longford, Bray, Drogheda, Wexford and Dundalk.

Richmond park look’s half decent on TV, but the floodlight poles are frequently in the way of the play. This looks awful when matches are broadcast live, as was the case with the cup semi-final vs Cork this yr.

Athlone have some scrub land behind one of the goals and it looks dreadful.

Luckily it’s not all bad. Cork, Sham rovers, Bohs, Galway, Shels and Limerick all have their gantry placement at a decent height and distance from the pitch, and the cameras point towards their best stands.

Perimeter walls around the pitch and stadium are another thing. Leaving walls unpainted looks really bad on TV. It only takes 1 guy and a bucket of paint. Galway thankfully have painted the big wall behind one of their goals and it looks way better with the football murals on it.

But just to reiterate, this report is still a complete joke!

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    OTB - mostly Richie McCormack to be fair - gave a pretty hilarious breakdown of it last night. They slaughtered the analyst that produced the report. They mentioned this guy gets paid €7k an hour at speaking events, so it is worrying how much money the FAI spent on the Report.
    It got me thinking, surely the league clubs could commission their own report to balance things out slightly?

These reports in my mind are useless. We've seen it long enough, the vast majority of Irish sports "fans" are event junkies. Consistent effort is not part of the equation. Getting the kids in the door and trying to hold on to them as long as possible. I'd love to think that the FAI could invest time and money on behalf of the clubs with Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann, Luas and Irish Rail, to make it easier for fans to get to home and away games, and commit to it for 3/5 years and then if it's not producing an increase in attendances, dropping that form of investment.
    Similar for the grounds. I couldn't understand why the FAI bought United Park for Drogheda? I could understand if they worked alongside the Dept of Local Govt, Dept of Sport, and the individual county councils to try and work out practical solutions that would benefit all sides, similar to what will happen with Dalymount.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Camera angles and the position of the TV gantry.

This might sound like a trivial thing, but when I see LOI on TV I’m frequently frustrated by how poor the product looks, mainly due to the poor positioning of the gantry.

Most casual soccer fans in Ireland are used to watching CL and PL soccer from the perfect viewing angle on TV. If LOI grounds look better on TV, it might convince viewers to actually attend the games in person and it could even encourage TV networks to show more matches.

LOI games get little TV coverage as it is, so the clubs should really make sure that the product looks as good as possible on camera. Derry are probably the worst culprits. They’ve a brilliant curved stand, but the gantry sits inside it, facing the other side, which is extremely unsightly. Whenever Setanta/Eir are there for a live game they must erect a scaffold or something because they always have the camera pointed at the curved stand and it looks great. Luckily this should be fixed with the creation of the new stand but they should have erected a permanent gantry on that side years ago.

Sligo’s gantry is too close to the side-line and too low, as is the case with many grounds, like Longford, Bray, Drogheda, Wexford and Dundalk.

Richmond park look’s half decent on TV, but the floodlight poles are frequently in the way of the play. This looks awful when matches are broadcast live, as was the case with the cup semi-final vs Cork this yr.

Athlone have some scrub land behind one of the goals and it looks dreadful.

Luckily it’s not all bad. Cork, Sham rovers, Bohs, Galway, Shels and Limerick all have their gantry placement at a decent height and distance from the pitch, and the cameras point towards their best stands.

Perimeter walls around the pitch and stadium are another thing. Leaving walls unpainted looks really bad on TV. It only takes 1 guy and a bucket of paint. Galway thankfully have painted the big wall behind one of their goals and it looks way better with the football murals on it.

But just to reiterate, this report is still a complete joke!
    As someone not really associated with the league, I'd agree with everything you've said. I can understand why it might not really matter to anyone who's been involved with a team or a club for a considerable time though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    The bigger issue though is how this report ever saw the light of day. Someone or some committee in the FAI commissioned this. They must have seen the author's previous work, or interviewed him, and still went ahead. Let's assume he has done good work in the past, and was convincing in his pitch, so you can see how it *might* get to the point of the report being produced. But then the report was presented to the Board and the CEO, and they still decided to publish it. This is what astonishes me.
    Last edited by gormacha; 17/12/2016 at 10:36 AM.

21. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    He's ex Saatchi apparently (says Google), so he has some decent background in the area. (Or else he has the same name as someone with a good background in the area...)

I've only seen what's here, but there's nothing here that would lead you to think the report is in any way useful.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Neil O'Riordan reckons the FAI are already distancing themselves from the report -

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...offers-little/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    The link with Saatchi jogged my memory , does anyone here old enough to remember the time when the league spent a considerable sum at the time on marketing the league? Late 80's? The company? Saatchi and Saatchi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gormacha View Post
    The bigger issue though is how this report ever saw the light of day. Someone or some committee in the FAI commissioned this. They must have seen the author's previous work, or interviewed him, and still went ahead. Let's assume he has done good work in the past, and was convincing in his pitch, so you can see how it *might* get to the point of the report being produced. But then the report was presented to the Board and the CEO, and they still decided to publish it. This is what astonishes me.
    That's the first thing I took from the article by Dan McDonnell this morning. He says specifically that Delaney himself said that the report seen by the FAI was very good.
    Dan McDonnell's article, if you can get it for free, is very good and worth a read.
    Last edited by Kingdom; 16/12/2016 at 11:45 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast