Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: SSE Airtricity League Transfers 2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    We are in real trouble again next season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    We are in real trouble again next season.
    Why? The lack of signings or quality of them?
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Both. We have made 3 signings the best of them was in a position we were already strong I dont know much about David O'Connor but not hearing great things and the fact we have had Turner already and the happiest fans about that signing are Cork fans says it all. Russell has a very good budget too which makes it a lot worse he either has no idea how to get players in or is afraid to spend the money.There is nothing in this country of any quality left and we still need a left back a centre mid a winger a striker at the very least.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Who's signed up/still signed up with UCD? Because the way we are going I wouldn't be surprised if we are trying to pick up a few more UCD players

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Both. We have made 3 signings the best of them was in a position we were already strong I dont know much about David O'Connor but not hearing great things and the fact we have had Turner already and the happiest fans about that signing are Cork fans says it all. Russell has a very good budget too which makes it a lot worse he either has no idea how to get players in or is afraid to spend the money.There is nothing in this country of any quality left and we still need a left back a centre mid a winger a striker at the very least.
    Don't understand that negativity to be honest. DOC a very good addition - good on the ball, very quick. Turner was excellent for ye in 2015 was he not? Who have ye missed out on that you would have liked to have signed?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Well ye've got Doc anyway.

There's few enough Martin Russell students left at this stage.

I think we've released the outsiders - Byrne, Waters, Brady. Boyle has retired. I've heard Bohs are sniffing around a few, and I've heard most are staying on - so lots of completely contradictory rumours, as is standard at this time of year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well ye've got Doc anyway.

There's few enough Martin Russell students left at this stage.

I think we've released the outsiders - Byrne, Waters, Brady. Boyle has retired. I've heard Bohs are sniffing around a few, and I've heard most are staying on - so lots of completely contradictory rumours, as is standard at this time of year
    Isn't Boyle only in his mid 20's yet? Injury forcing retirement or something?

Waters is a strange one. He looked like he'd be one of the leagues big stars a couple of years ago. Did he not really impress at UCD?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Boyle is 25. Been injured a lot over the years though!

Waters did ok; maybe not as well as expected. But we're a strange club when it comes to outsiders, and I reckon Devo moving on won't help that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I'd take Marty Waters no problem but then Martin doesn't sign players he hasn't worked with already it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Wouldn't mind seeing Waters at Harps, unlikely to happen though.

Shame about Boyle. Loyal sort of a fella over the last few years at UCD. Decent player too.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I don't know why our fans are so happy about Turner going. He was never given a chance with us. He probably made a handful of substitute appearances and maybe a start at the beginning of the season. He's clearly a good guy to have around the squad and his record with Limerick the previous season was very good. Our noisy fans were never known for their football knowledge anyway. I wouldn't beep too unhappy with that signing.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    I don't know why our fans are so happy about Turner going. He was never given a chance with us. He probably made a handful of substitute appearances and maybe a start at the beginning of the season. He's clearly a good guy to have around the squad and his record with Limerick the previous season was very good. Our noisy fans were never known for their football knowledge anyway. I wouldn't beep too unhappy with that signing.
    If you consider 6 or 7 good games in a season very good then I suppose it was. Turner has the potential to be very good he has all the physical tools and has a great delivery but he hasn't delivered nearly enough in his time with us. While Cork fans may not have seen enough of him to judge we have seen loads of him and I have spoken to no-one that is too enthusiastic about his return. I'm personally not as upset about him coming back as others I am willing to see if he can get back to how he was in the run in during our near escape but if we get the Turner from before then it just isn't any improvement on what we had last year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    If you consider 6 or 7 good games in a season very good then I suppose it was. Turner has the potential to be very good he has all the physical tools and has a great delivery but he hasn't delivered nearly enough in his time with us. While Cork fans may not have seen enough of him to judge we have seen loads of him and I have spoken to no-one that is too enthusiastic about his return. I'm personally not as upset about him coming back as others I am willing to see if he can get back to how he was in the run in during our near escape but if we get the Turner from before then it just isn't any improvement on what we had last year.
    Wasn't it 9/10 goals he got for you from the wing? That's a serious return, provided I've got it right.....
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    Wasn't it 9/10 goals he got for you from the wing? That's a serious return, provided I've got it right.....
    I'm not sure on exact numbers but like I say all his production came in 6/7 games thats not enough to be excited about.No denying he was great for a spell at the end of his last season with us but also can't be denied he was nowhere near those levels for the majority of his time with us before that. A year without playing won't help either.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I dont know much about David O'Connor but not hearing great things
    You're being judged by a different standard now. O'Connor is better than any defender Limerick have had for the last few years. The only one with the potential to be better is Paudie O'Connor but your fans don't seem to rate him either for some mad reason. It seems like Limerick fans are expecting to be competing with Dundalk for players.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing Waters at Harps, unlikely to happen though.

Shame about Boyle. Loyal sort of a fella over the last few years at UCD. Decent player too.
    Waters won't leave Dublin afaik and he won't play for Bohs so he'll be at Shels, Cabo or Longford realistically. Which is a shame because he's a Premier Division player, but can't blame a lad for not wanting to play for the Bozos.

That said, Croly and Long both being at Bohs might change his mind. And he'd be right to change his mind because it's a short career and he shouldn't be wasting it below his level.

Turner was immense during Limerick's push to stay in the Premier last time. He's a quality player and you'd imagine a year in that Cork environment would have pushed him up a level, but you saw him a lot more than me for Limerick so I can't really comment.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 14/12/2016 at 4:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Boyle is 25. Been injured a lot over the years though!

Waters did ok; maybe not as well as expected. But we're a strange club when it comes to outsiders, and I reckon Devo moving on won't help that.
    Boyle has missed 3 league games in the last 4 seasons, so whatever injury history he has seems to be well behind him, hopefully.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    On Turner, in mitigation, I would say that nobody played well in the first half of that relegation season, If he can be 75% as effective as he was in the run in he'll do fine. It's the lack of signings that has me nervous.

Like, living in Cork I see a fair few of their games, I'm comfortable enough on some level with us not signing the likes of Danny Morrissey and Holohan. Having too many average players has been a big part of the Cork problem the last few seasons. They're decent players at best but they're not team changers and there are other comparable players around.

The problem for me isn't that Limerick fans expect to compete with Dundalk (bar the odd crackpot), it's that somebody in the club (and it can only be our benign dictator) seems to believe this. Handing the manager of a newly promoted team the brief to go out and sign a team of players who'll challenge for Europe/the title/the Superbowl/global domination is unrealistic. If, and I stress IF as I'm about as far from the pulse as is possible, we're passing over B and C list players while looking longingly at the Daryl Horgans and Christy Fagans of this world we are sleepwalking into a situation where we will be just as exposed as we were the season we got relegated (but with the added bonus of having two actual goalkeepers to call upon rather than a blind, crippled puppet built from twine, plasticine and false hope).

Ambition is great but you still have to walk before you can run, you can't skip to the end.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The only one with the potential to be better is Paudie O'Connor but your fans don't seem to rate him either for some mad reason.
    For my own part I don't rate Paudie because he has the touch and poise of a hi-ace van. As a nuts and bolts league of Ireland jaysus there's the ball kick it really hard the other way centre half he is fine and mediocre. For Martin Russell's purposes he is actually damaging.

seems like Limerick fans are expecting to be competing with Dundalk for players.
    Only coco the chairman expects this.

Turner was immense during Limerick's push to stay in the Premier last time. He's a quality player and you'd imagine a year in that Cork environment would have pushed him up a level, but you saw him a lot more than me for Limerick so I can't really comment.
    Dear Lord!

Would you have him starting at shamrock??

As I said somewhere else Turner played probably fifty games for us and was poison in forty of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Waters won't leave Dublin afaik and he won't play for Bohs so he'll be at Shels, Cabo or Longford realistically. Which is a shame because he's a Premier Division player, but can't blame a lad for not wanting to play for the Bozos.

That said, Croly and Long both being at Bohs might change his mind. And he'd be right to change his mind because it's a short career and he shouldn't be wasting it below his level.

t.
    He's a Rovers fan from what I heard so that's why he won't go to Bohs. He had a chance to go back to Bray last year but turned it down. The longer he stays out of the Premier the harder it will be to get back.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast