Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 309

Thread: SSE Airtricity League Transfers 2017

  1. #61
    Seasoned Pro bluewhitearmy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    4,369
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 603 Times in 392 Posts
    We are in real trouble again next season.

  2. #62
    First Team
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Turners Cross, Cork.
    Posts
    1,049
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 95 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    We are in real trouble again next season.
    Why? The lack of signings or quality of them?
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

  3. #63
    Seasoned Pro bluewhitearmy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    4,369
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 603 Times in 392 Posts
    Both. We have made 3 signings the best of them was in a position we were already strong I dont know much about David O'Connor but not hearing great things and the fact we have had Turner already and the happiest fans about that signing are Cork fans says it all. Russell has a very good budget too which makes it a lot worse he either has no idea how to get players in or is afraid to spend the money.There is nothing in this country of any quality left and we still need a left back a centre mid a winger a striker at the very least.

  4. #64
    International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limerick City
    Posts
    6,454
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 545 Times in 392 Posts
    Who's signed up/still signed up with UCD? Because the way we are going I wouldn't be surprised if we are trying to pick up a few more UCD players

  5. #65
    New Signing
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Both. We have made 3 signings the best of them was in a position we were already strong I dont know much about David O'Connor but not hearing great things and the fact we have had Turner already and the happiest fans about that signing are Cork fans says it all. Russell has a very good budget too which makes it a lot worse he either has no idea how to get players in or is afraid to spend the money.There is nothing in this country of any quality left and we still need a left back a centre mid a winger a striker at the very least.
    Don't understand that negativity to be honest. DOC a very good addition - good on the ball, very quick. Turner was excellent for ye in 2015 was he not? Who have ye missed out on that you would have liked to have signed?

  6. #66
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    27,785
    Thanks
    1,082
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Well ye've got Doc anyway.

    There's few enough Martin Russell students left at this stage.

    I think we've released the outsiders - Byrne, Waters, Brady. Boyle has retired. I've heard Bohs are sniffing around a few, and I've heard most are staying on - so lots of completely contradictory rumours, as is standard at this time of year

  7. #67
    Not Entirely Sure nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    8,827
    Thanks
    2,893
    Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well ye've got Doc anyway.

    There's few enough Martin Russell students left at this stage.

    I think we've released the outsiders - Byrne, Waters, Brady. Boyle has retired. I've heard Bohs are sniffing around a few, and I've heard most are staying on - so lots of completely contradictory rumours, as is standard at this time of year
    Isn't Boyle only in his mid 20's yet? Injury forcing retirement or something?

    Waters is a strange one. He looked like he'd be one of the leagues big stars a couple of years ago. Did he not really impress at UCD?

  8. #68
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    27,785
    Thanks
    1,082
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Boyle is 25. Been injured a lot over the years though!

    Waters did ok; maybe not as well as expected. But we're a strange club when it comes to outsiders, and I reckon Devo moving on won't help that.

  9. #69
    Seasoned Pro bluewhitearmy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    4,369
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 603 Times in 392 Posts
    I'd take Marty Waters no problem but then Martin doesn't sign players he hasn't worked with already it seems.

  10. #70
    Not Entirely Sure nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    8,827
    Thanks
    2,893
    Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,381 Posts
    Wouldn't mind seeing Waters at Harps, unlikely to happen though.

    Shame about Boyle. Loyal sort of a fella over the last few years at UCD. Decent player too.

  11. #71
    First Team
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Turners Cross, Cork.
    Posts
    1,049
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 95 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Both. We have made 3 signings the best of them was in a position we were already strong I dont know much about David O'Connor but not hearing great things and the fact we have had Turner already and the happiest fans about that signing are Cork fans says it all. Russell has a very good budget too which makes it a lot worse he either has no idea how to get players in or is afraid to spend the money.There is nothing in this country of any quality left and we still need a left back a centre mid a winger a striker at the very least.
    I don't know why our fans are so happy about Turner going. He was never given a chance with us. He probably made a handful of substitute appearances and maybe a start at the beginning of the season. He's clearly a good guy to have around the squad and his record with Limerick the previous season was very good. Our noisy fans were never known for their football knowledge anyway. I wouldn't beep too unhappy with that signing.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

  12. #72
    Seasoned Pro bluewhitearmy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    4,369
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 603 Times in 392 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    I don't know why our fans are so happy about Turner going. He was never given a chance with us. He probably made a handful of substitute appearances and maybe a start at the beginning of the season. He's clearly a good guy to have around the squad and his record with Limerick the previous season was very good. Our noisy fans were never known for their football knowledge anyway. I wouldn't beep too unhappy with that signing.
    If you consider 6 or 7 good games in a season very good then I suppose it was. Turner has the potential to be very good he has all the physical tools and has a great delivery but he hasn't delivered nearly enough in his time with us. While Cork fans may not have seen enough of him to judge we have seen loads of him and I have spoken to no-one that is too enthusiastic about his return. I'm personally not as upset about him coming back as others I am willing to see if he can get back to how he was in the run in during our near escape but if we get the Turner from before then it just isn't any improvement on what we had last year.

  13. #73
    First Team
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Turners Cross, Cork.
    Posts
    1,049
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 95 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    If you consider 6 or 7 good games in a season very good then I suppose it was. Turner has the potential to be very good he has all the physical tools and has a great delivery but he hasn't delivered nearly enough in his time with us. While Cork fans may not have seen enough of him to judge we have seen loads of him and I have spoken to no-one that is too enthusiastic about his return. I'm personally not as upset about him coming back as others I am willing to see if he can get back to how he was in the run in during our near escape but if we get the Turner from before then it just isn't any improvement on what we had last year.
    Wasn't it 9/10 goals he got for you from the wing? That's a serious return, provided I've got it right.....
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

  14. #74
    Seasoned Pro bluewhitearmy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    4,369
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 603 Times in 392 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    Wasn't it 9/10 goals he got for you from the wing? That's a serious return, provided I've got it right.....
    I'm not sure on exact numbers but like I say all his production came in 6/7 games thats not enough to be excited about.No denying he was great for a spell at the end of his last season with us but also can't be denied he was nowhere near those levels for the majority of his time with us before that. A year without playing won't help either.

  15. #75
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,584
    Thanks
    3,323
    Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,891 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    I dont know much about David O'Connor but not hearing great things
    You're being judged by a different standard now. O'Connor is better than any defender Limerick have had for the last few years. The only one with the potential to be better is Paudie O'Connor but your fans don't seem to rate him either for some mad reason. It seems like Limerick fans are expecting to be competing with Dundalk for players.

  16. #76
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,584
    Thanks
    3,323
    Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,891 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing Waters at Harps, unlikely to happen though.

    Shame about Boyle. Loyal sort of a fella over the last few years at UCD. Decent player too.
    Waters won't leave Dublin afaik and he won't play for Bohs so he'll be at Shels, Cabo or Longford realistically. Which is a shame because he's a Premier Division player, but can't blame a lad for not wanting to play for the Bozos.

    That said, Croly and Long both being at Bohs might change his mind. And he'd be right to change his mind because it's a short career and he shouldn't be wasting it below his level.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    If you consider 6 or 7 good games in a season very good then I suppose it was. Turner has the potential to be very good he has all the physical tools and has a great delivery but he hasn't delivered nearly enough in his time with us. While Cork fans may not have seen enough of him to judge we have seen loads of him and I have spoken to no-one that is too enthusiastic about his return. I'm personally not as upset about him coming back as others I am willing to see if he can get back to how he was in the run in during our near escape but if we get the Turner from before then it just isn't any improvement on what we had last year.
    Turner was immense during Limerick's push to stay in the Premier last time. He's a quality player and you'd imagine a year in that Cork environment would have pushed him up a level, but you saw him a lot more than me for Limerick so I can't really comment.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 14/12/2016 at 4:21 AM.

  17. #77
    First Team seand's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Maynooth
    Posts
    1,137
    Thanks
    278
    Thanked 343 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Boyle is 25. Been injured a lot over the years though!

    Waters did ok; maybe not as well as expected. But we're a strange club when it comes to outsiders, and I reckon Devo moving on won't help that.
    Boyle has missed 3 league games in the last 4 seasons, so whatever injury history he has seems to be well behind him, hopefully.

  18. #78
    International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    5,479
    Thanks
    818
    Thanked 198 Times in 121 Posts
    On Turner, in mitigation, I would say that nobody played well in the first half of that relegation season, If he can be 75% as effective as he was in the run in he'll do fine. It's the lack of signings that has me nervous.

    Like, living in Cork I see a fair few of their games, I'm comfortable enough on some level with us not signing the likes of Danny Morrissey and Holohan. Having too many average players has been a big part of the Cork problem the last few seasons. They're decent players at best but they're not team changers and there are other comparable players around.

    The problem for me isn't that Limerick fans expect to compete with Dundalk (bar the odd crackpot), it's that somebody in the club (and it can only be our benign dictator) seems to believe this. Handing the manager of a newly promoted team the brief to go out and sign a team of players who'll challenge for Europe/the title/the Superbowl/global domination is unrealistic. If, and I stress IF as I'm about as far from the pulse as is possible, we're passing over B and C list players while looking longingly at the Daryl Horgans and Christy Fagans of this world we are sleepwalking into a situation where we will be just as exposed as we were the season we got relegated (but with the added bonus of having two actual goalkeepers to call upon rather than a blind, crippled puppet built from twine, plasticine and false hope).

    Ambition is great but you still have to walk before you can run, you can't skip to the end.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

  19. #79
    International Prospect Lim till i die's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    7,738
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 565 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The only one with the potential to be better is Paudie O'Connor but your fans don't seem to rate him either for some mad reason.
    For my own part I don't rate Paudie because he has the touch and poise of a hi-ace van. As a nuts and bolts league of Ireland jaysus there's the ball kick it really hard the other way centre half he is fine and mediocre. For Martin Russell's purposes he is actually damaging.

    seems like Limerick fans are expecting to be competing with Dundalk for players.
    Only coco the chairman expects this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Turner was immense during Limerick's push to stay in the Premier last time. He's a quality player and you'd imagine a year in that Cork environment would have pushed him up a level, but you saw him a lot more than me for Limerick so I can't really comment.
    Dear Lord!

    Would you have him starting at shamrock??

    As I said somewhere else Turner played probably fifty games for us and was poison in forty of them.

  20. #80
    Reserves Bray Head's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bray
    Posts
    419
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Waters won't leave Dublin afaik and he won't play for Bohs so he'll be at Shels, Cabo or Longford realistically. Which is a shame because he's a Premier Division player, but can't blame a lad for not wanting to play for the Bozos.

    That said, Croly and Long both being at Bohs might change his mind. And he'd be right to change his mind because it's a short career and he shouldn't be wasting it below his level.

    t.
    He's a Rovers fan from what I heard so that's why he won't go to Bohs. He had a chance to go back to Bray last year but turned it down. The longer he stays out of the Premier the harder it will be to get back.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SSE Airtricity League Transfers 2016
    By Aaron in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 402
    Last Post: 22/02/2017, 7:19 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22/12/2016, 3:20 PM
  3. SSE Airtricity League Transfers 2016
    By TheOneWhoKnocks in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15/11/2016, 10:49 PM
  4. SSE Airtricity League Transfers 2016
    By Dunny in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15/12/2015, 11:01 PM
  5. ET: The Airtricity League Summer Transfers 2013
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/07/2013, 7:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •