Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: SSE Airtricity League Transfers 2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldofmarkets View Post
    Turner does have ability, can be fantastic with a superb delivery, but mentally seems to drift. He will be much more suited to Pats' football than to the muck we have unfortunately adopted. Buckley's style might be better at bringing his ability out as well.
    He played in the exact same type of football as Pats play for most of his time here and was crap 90% of the time tbh

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Pats don't play exactly the same type of football as Russell, to be fair. Pats are a lot more methodical and system-based whereas Russell is about giving players autonomy. Given what people have said about Turner, he may be the sort who struggles under Russell's style but can work under Bucko's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    I'm just going to LOL & PMSL and say i'm glad that MCELENEY won that PFAI POTM award in June just so i can read your reaction to it here tonight

My 'reaction' is that I think Seani deserved it more but McEleney had a good month too. Certainly don't find these awards something to get as excited about as you seem to though. Fair point on the name misspelling, I've spelt it wrong so many times now that my phone autocorrects to the wrong spelling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I like Ian Turner, he did a lot for us when we were struggling in the first division and he's a lovely lad. That said, I can't understand why Pat's would want him. He's very athletic but not much of a footballer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The Dublin media shot Michael Collins, you really think they'd give player of the month to a Corkman?
    That's it exactly, the Cork boys still almost demanding respect and perish the thought of anyone else winning the POTM award apart from a Cork, or sorry 'City' player.

Dreadful really of the Irish journalists not to award this to Maguire, but fear not, he just might get it as a late leaving present for July.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    That's it exactly, the Cork boys still almost demanding respect and perish the thought of anyone else winning the POTM award apart from a Cork, or sorry 'City' player.

Dreadful really of the Irish journalists not to award this to Maguire, but fear not, he just might get it as a late leaving present for July.
    The writing off any comment by a City fan rather than actually discussing it is tedious. It really stops any actual discussion from happening. I'm happy to discuss why I disagree with the journalists choice. I also think the fact that we had won four in a row previously likely impacted the decision. No one likes to see one team dominate things like this. If a journo didn't think there was too much between Seani and McEleney I can see that helping with the decision. It's fair enough, although harsh on Seani but I doubt he cares.

You might be right on the July one, the hatrick in Europe does stand out. I don't think he was our standout player in July, relatively, but he was still fantastic in most games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Galway United In:

Charlie Burns (MK Dons) http://galwayunitedfc.ie/charlie-burns-signs-united/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Sorry but Graham Burke is pencilled for July award.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    The writing off any comment by a City fan rather than actually discussing it is tedious. It really stops any actual discussion from happening. I'm happy to discuss why I disagree with the journalists choice. I also think the fact that we had won four in a row previously likely impacted the decision. No one likes to see one team dominate things like this. If a journo didn't think there was too much between Seani and McEleney I can see that helping with the decision. It's fair enough, although harsh on Seani but I doubt he cares.

You might be right on the July one, the hatrick in Europe does stand out. I don't think he was our standout player in July, relatively, but he was still fantastic in most games.
    Really ? I don't get that on here, but I do get a lot of Cork fans almost demanding extra respect. Cork are a very good team, there is absolutely no question about that, but the fact remains under Caulfield, they have currently won one trophy, soon to be two, a great team backs all of that up by retaining leagues while performing to a high standard in Europe, so there is a lot of work to do, next season will be interesting in that regard.

Graham Burke, forgot about him, maybe 'Seanie' won't have it his own way after all for July.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Really ? I don't get that on here, but I do get a lot of Cork fans almost demanding extra respect. Cork are a very good team, there is absolutely no question about that, but the fact remains under Caulfield, they have currently won one trophy, soon to be two, a great team backs all of that up by retaining leagues while performing to a high standard in Europe, so there is a lot of work to do, next season will be interesting in that regard.

Graham Burke, forgot about him, maybe 'Seanie' won't have it his own way after all for July.
    Apart from Dundalk's year in Europe last year - which could be considered a bit of an outlier - Dundalk only won through 1 tie in the other 3 years Kenny has been at the club ; against Jeunese Esch - the rest were aggregate defeats to Split, BATE and Rosenborg. Dundalk were magnificent last year but they haven't been performing to a high standard in Europe year on year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    You're completely missing the point, I didn't mention results, I mentioned performances, plus on one of the teams you mention (Hajduk Split) Dundalk won away.

The measure of any successful team is to perform consistently in Europe and to win consecutive trophies. I've no doubt winning the league in 2016 while playing in the group stages until Dec was one of the best achievements by any previous league winning side. That's the standard of great team.

Cork are a very good side and have potential to improve, but they need to back it up year on year, i wouldn't be surprised to see them starting next season as second favourites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Finn Harps in:

Mark Timlin (Derry City)

http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/fo...arps-1-8074727
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Finn Harps in:

Mark Timlin (Derry City)

http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/fo...arps-1-8074727
    He was decent enough for us last season especially because I thought he was played out of position a fair bit ( I had him down as a winger but he seemed to play behind the striker a lot) and was slightly disappointed when he left but he hasn't really played at all for Derry this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kksaints View Post
    ,...he hasn't really played at all for Derry this season.
    Played a bit just, but didn't impress at all really. Disappointing after he did so well the first time with us.
    Hopefully he'll get more game time and arrange improvement at Finn Park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The measure of any successful team is to perform consistently in Europe and to win consecutive trophies. I've no doubt winning the league in 2016 while playing in the group stages until Dec was one of the best achievements by any previous league winning side. That's the standard of great team.

Cork are a very good side and have potential to improve, but they need to back it up year on year, i wouldn't be surprised to see them starting next season as second favourites.
    Dundalks achievement last year was essentially a repeat of what Rovers achieved in 2011, both went on to not retain their league title, I suspect largely due to the extended european campaigns for both sides & the impact it had on their close season dealings. This is a barrier that will be hard for teams to overcome IMO, mostly due to the clubs simply not being set up for such a compacted close season & having to sign players to replace ones that have left. Signing players on longer term contracts will help but to do that you need the european prize money as domestically it simply isn't there, so there's a chicken & egg situation to be dealt with. Hopefully over time clubs will develop to deal with this, but for now its looking like a tough situation to handle. Though to be fair we only have Rovers & Dundalk to look at really.

However, to say Cork could start next season as second favourites is a tad sensationalist. If they go on to win the league comfortably as we all expect them to, unless there's a huge clear out of core players there's no other team in the league likely to make the bookies see them as anything but strong favourites to retain the league. Europe has little to do with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kksaints View Post
    He was decent enough for us last season especially because I thought he was played out of position a fair bit ( I had him down as a winger but he seemed to play behind the striker a lot) and was slightly disappointed when he left but he hasn't really played at all for Derry this season.
    I thought he was a disappointment last season, but then so were most of the Pats squad.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Look back at the previous replies. Every comment from a city fan trying to discuss whether McEleney deserved it or not is shot down immediately with a facetious comment about us expecting extra respect or some other nonsense. I've never made any sort of comment thinking we deserve that but it happens constantly. People aren't engaging with the point made, just making petty comments about the club.

We are an excellent team this year, and it's a very exciting year to be a City fan, but I don't see anyone making any claims beyond that, or claiming we're going to dominate long term or anything. We've a great opportunity to do something special this year, still being unbeaten is fantastic. Winning the league comfortably for the first time in our history will be an an amazing achievement. But no one is making any claims beyond that.

Even your last comment there about Seani having it his own way is nonsense. As if that happens regularly. He's won the award once in his time with City. No one's demanding he get extra respect, but he's deserved to win it more than once, in my opinion.

It'l probably be Burke this month alright. Seani definitely had a better June than July.

Anyway, this has dragged the thread way off topic, apologies for that.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Look back at the previous replies. Every comment from a city fan trying to discuss whether McEleney deserved it or not is shot down immediately with a facetious comment about us expecting extra respect or some other nonsense. I've never made any sort of comment thinking we deserve that but it happens constantly. People aren't engaging with the point made, just making petty comments about the club.
    It is unreasonable to label all supporters of any club as having identical characteristics - either positive or negative. Nevertheless there appears to be a persecution complex among some Cork supporters that is alluded to by Oriel in his point about demands for "more respect"

Your post is clearly stating your impatience or irritation with people not engaging with a particular point, which was raised by El Pietro in the midst of a discussion about the merits or otherwise or Ian Turner

It is almost bizarre about how a comment on Turner winning a POTM award was turned into a negative swipe at Patrick McEleney and a dismissal of the POTM awards on the basis that Sean Maguire only got one award.

Do you think he would have been better off "engaging with the point made", instead of making "petty comments"?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Sean Maguire has only won that award once. I take it with a grain of salt. They gave it to McEleney last month because he scored a couple of nice goals on tv. He vanished in the only important game they had. Anyone can play well for 2 or 3 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    It is unreasonable to label all supporters of any club as having identical characteristics - either positive or negative. Nevertheless there appears to be a persecution complex among some Cork supporters that is alluded to by Oriel in his point about demands for "more respect"

Your post is clearly stating your impatience or irritation with people not engaging with a particular point, which was raised by El Pietro in the midst of a discussion about the merits or otherwise or Ian Turner

It is almost bizarre about how a comment on Turner winning a POTM award was turned into a negative swipe at Patrick McEleney and a dismissal of the POTM awards on the basis that Sean Maguire only got one award.

Do you think he would have been better off "engaging with the point made", instead of making "petty comments"?
    It definitely got way off topic, and this wasn't the right thread to be discussing it in. I replied to a Dundalk fan because i felt their claim that McEleney was a run away winner hands down was rubbish. To be honest, I didn't even realise which thread we were in at that point. My point was written off because I was a City fan. But, this certainly hadn't added anything to this thread and is probably best deleted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Robbie Williams will be picking up a league winners medal this season. I'm stunned.

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast