Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 League/Cup format

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

2017 League/Cup format

Few announcements on the 2017 season there.

• League to start a week earlier, 24th February
    • Premier fixtures to be released mid-December
    • FAI Cup only to have replays at the quarter/semi-final stage
    • Mid-season break to be reduced to one week
    • Full-time league marketing manager to be appointed (job advertisement on FAI site at present)
    • New U15 league to start in August
    • International marketing expert compiling report on league

It would be nice to see a reduction in mid-week matches, but can't say I'm happy about the shorter break.
    Worse still is the changes to the Cup, which I feel will now lose some of its worth, especially for smaller clubs.
    Have you ever won the treble?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Do we even need a mid-season break at all? i understand having a break in a year when there is a World Cup or Euros, especially if we qualify, but in a summer where there is no international tournament could we not just play right through. that would reduce that amount of midweek matches...

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Is it not usually just a one week break but was extended this year because Ireland were in the Euros?
    It would be ironic if Dundalk get out of the group in the Europa League and the first match is postponed because of the next round!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Is it not usually just a one week break but was extended this year because Ireland were in the Euros?
    It would be ironic if Dundalk get out of the group in the Europa League and the first match is postponed because of the next round!
    If Dundalk are playing on back-to-back Thursdays, they should be able to play on the Sunday. It's only in cases that teams play in Europe on a Wednesday and the following Tuesday that postponements should be required.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Some decent stuff in that list - maybe the FAI is being jolted into a modicum of action at last.

Though does the LOI really need another report ? And LOL at the "international marketing expert". It'll be some numpty who produces a report exactly on the lines that Delaney himself wants.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    I know a few people who have talked said expert and all reckoned he was absolutely the real deal.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post

It would be nice to see a reduction in mid-week matches, but can't say I'm happy about the shorter break.
    So you want a longer break AND fewer midweek games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I don't think there should be a mid season break at all. We've already one of the longest off-seasons in Europe, what's the need for a break during the season?

As said above, during a summer where there's a European Championship or World Cup, I can see sense in it then, but otherwise there's no need for a mid-season break.

A lot of positive news for once. I've also heard the new marketing man is fantastic. It'll be interesting to see what impact that has over the course of the next year or so. Can't imagine him having any sort of immediate impact, but long term, it could be one of the most positive steps for LOI football in years.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    The mid season break came in, in part, because the players wanted it. The PFAI stated the obvious that schools were off from June to September and players with young families wanted a week, at least, free for holidays, or what McGuinness referred to at one point as 'sun holidays'.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Short break is a nightmare for pitch renovations as it's the only time in the growing season to get work done but the pitches don't really matter 🤔

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The mid season break came in, in part, because the players wanted it. The PFAI stated the obvious that schools were off from June to September and players with young families wanted a week, at least, free for holidays, or what McGuinness referred to at one point as 'sun holidays'.
    Spot on. Recently Euro teams have played friendlies in the week off do the players time off effectively became a few days at most
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I'm not a big fan of the mid season break, however I can see the point where players have young families, and can take time off when they are on school holidays. In recent seasons having it for 2 weeks or more was just ridiculous and would only add pressure on clubs financially and perhaps have a negative effect on players fitness.

A lot of clubs, I'd say most actually and including Dundalk, were very challenged for cash flow in previous seasons with no home match revenue for 3 weeks or more in some instances.

Hopefully next season there will be better thinking in fixture lists, I always thought not having derby matches on BH weekends is a missed opportunity, likes of Harps/Derry, Dlk/Drogs, Rovers/Bohs etc, mid week games will still probably be required, hopefully these will be limited to as little as possible, and to consider long distance trips for the away club. It won't always work, but you got the impression that very little consideration was given to this in previous seasons.

I like the idea of an earlier start, the reduction of cup replays too will help. The full time marketing resource is long overdue and that will hopefully make a big difference.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Last season's mid season break ran into the start of the European campaign which resulted in the total fiasco of us having no home game from June 3rd until July 22nd, hopefully such an occurrence is avoided this time around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufc2000 View Post
    Last season's mid season break ran into the start of the European campaign which resulted in the total fiasco of us having no home game from June 3rd until July 22nd, hopefully such an occurrence is avoided this time around.
    Did the European campaign affect ye because ye're opponents had less than 7 days between two European games?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Starting a week earlier is a bit silly. Why not end it 2 weeks later? The fixture congestion happens at the end of the year, not the start

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I'm afraid to reply in case you're on the windup

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    So you want a longer break AND fewer midweek games?
    Only two scheduled midweek league games are required now. As mentioned, these should on Monday bank holidays.
    On the break, it's a purely personal thing. I usually take a long-haul holiday during it. Bizarrely, the FAI haven't seemed to take this into account.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    On the break, it's a purely personal thing. I usually take a long-haul holiday during it.
    Trabolgan is it?

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    Trabolgan is it?
    Nothing wrong with Trabolgan. A holiday whatever the weather.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the mid season break, however I can see the point where players have young families, and can take time off when they are on school holidays. In recent seasons having it for 2 weeks or more was just ridiculous and would only add pressure on clubs financially and perhaps have a negative effect on players fitness.

A lot of clubs, I'd say most actually and including Dundalk, were very challenged for cash flow in previous seasons with no home match revenue for 3 weeks or more in some instances.

Hopefully next season there will be better thinking in fixture lists, I always thought not having derby matches on BH weekends is a missed opportunity, likes of Harps/Derry, Dlk/Drogs, Rovers/Bohs etc, mid week games will still probably be required, hopefully these will be limited to as little as possible, and to consider long distance trips for the away club. It won't always work, but you got the impression that very little consideration was given to this in previous seasons.

I like the idea of an earlier start, the reduction of cup replays too will help. The full time marketing resource is long overdue and that will hopefully make a big difference.
    Some very good points - the Bank Hol's for derby games is an excellent idea and sure to draw out the crowds, cup replays are potential disasters new approach will rule out negative approaches for clubs playing for draws to get a midweek replay at home. Your underlying point is spot on - i.e. better planning by the league!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast