Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 League/Cup format

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    The Scottish League Cup final was played today. First trophy of the season given out in the first half of the season.

Only asking the question - is it something to consider here? Some group games in February pre-season and final in May after a few knockout rounds..
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Think there is a need for mid season break if only to give players (and fans) with children a few days to get away or even just have some time with them. Would disagree with the taking away of cup replay, for a 1st division or lower league club to get a replay with a big club, the gate receipts alone could keep them ticking over a few months

Agree with the rest of the ideas great to see and national under 15 league which will only help in the development of younger players, but there also needs to be a step at the other end of the ladder to bridge the gap between under 19's and senior level. A under 22 or 23 with a 2 or 3 of senior player allowed in the match day squad to offer younger players experience
    Last edited by Neish; 28/11/2016 at 8:55 AM.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    The Scottish League Cup final was played today. First trophy of the season given out in the first half of the season.

Only asking the question - is it something to consider here? Some group games in February pre-season and final in May after a few knockout rounds..
    Definitely. We should be down to the semi-finals before the start of the season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    fwiw, the league cup was traditionally played in the first half of the season here. The group stages were pre-season with the final usually played in November/December

No reason why it can't be played that way now with a final in May (maybe the old Setanta Cup final spot, or May bank holiday)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    I think a bigger issue is that the FAI Cup is so late. The third round is in September, which is what - two-thirds of the way through the league season?

A team in Europe and on any sort of FAI Cup run has very little space to catch up on matches, which seems to have been what hit Dundalk so badly this year in particular.

Obviously the daft divide between league and non-league football here is a problem, so you can't schedule matches for non-league pre-season, but even if they could fit one more round in before the summer, it'd be a help.

Get rid of the LSC/MSC (waste of time), and the League Cup early in the season as suggested would be good too. But I think the FAI Cup schedule is the biggest issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    The LSC/MSC is a complete red herring. Teams play reserve teams or don't bother at all. Event he finalists in the LSC only play 4 times. The MSC is pre-season. Removing won't help any fixture issues
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Sorry, yep - two separate points I guess.

Agree it's not an issue for fixture congestion if clubs are happy playing reserve teams, etc.

Still reckon it should just be scrapped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Definitely. We should be down to the semi-finals before the start of the season
    Though half the reason we start the season in March (or late February now) is because pitches are often waterlogged/frozen before then. I don't think starting early than that is a great idea.
    Keep an eye on IL cancellations this February as a comparison.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Still reckon it should just be scrapped.
    Feck off with your "scrapped"!
    Don't know what the general consensus in Leinster is, but we love the MSC down here. It's brilliant to have a competition that not everyone can be in, that's considerably older than the league itself, and just wildly different to everything else. Also doesn't hurt that it's been the only realistic shot at silverware for a club like ours over the last few years.
    Also, as Dodge says, the first couple of rounds are usually part of pre-season or very early in the season, and if you get through them you've a final to look forward to in June - not too taxing for even the sides that don't play the reserves.

The League Cup is the one I wouldn't miss if it came to it, and probably there is a good case for playing bulk of those games early in the season, in the first few weeks, even if it meant the dreaded Mon/Tues slots.

I think a bigger issue is that the FAI Cup is so late. The third round is in September, which is what - two-thirds of the way through the league season?
    This also ^^
    Last edited by stann; 29/11/2016 at 8:07 AM. Reason: checked up on the Cup!
    more bass

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Yeah always thought it a bit odd that there is like 10 or more weeks between 2nd and 3rd rounds. Have 2nd round of FAI cup just after mid season break and play a round or two extra of the league cup and get it finished with before the break
    Last edited by Neish; 29/11/2016 at 8:31 AM.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The FAI cup is arranged to accommodate the intermediates and juniors in their winter leagues. You could pull some rounds forward but the gap would remain.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    Feck off with your "scrapped"!
    Don't know what the general consensus in Leinster is, but we love the MSC down here. It's brilliant to have a competition that not everyone can be in, that's considerably older than the league itself, and just wildly different to everything else. Also doesn't hurt that it's been the only realistic shot at silverware for a club like ours over the last few years.
    Bit of a surprise!

The age of the competition doesn't really count for anything for me. Or the restricted entry - it's just like the early stages of the regionalised League Cup to be honest. The LSC was gone for almost ten years, and I don't know why it was brought back.

Anyways, opinions, yadda yadda yadda.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Fully agree with the Wateford view on the MSC down here. It's a great little competition that lets Senior League clubs play the League of Ireland four on a regular enough basis. Only the final isn't in pre-season so it has a very small effect on fixtures. Stephen Henderson has said constantly this year how winning it was a huge boost for Cobh, just to have something as a reward for their efforts.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Bit of a surprise!

The age of the competition doesn't really count for anything for me. Or the restricted entry - it's just like the early stages of the regionalised League Cup to be honest. The LSC was gone for almost ten years, and I don't know why it was brought back.

Anyways, opinions, yadda yadda yadda.
    I personally would like the LSC to continue. Its allowed me to go to grounds that I would never have been- eg a few years back we played Shamrock Rovers(Enniscorthy) in an earlier round of it in Enniscorthy. It was my first time being properly in the place. I know the LSC is not what its used to be but continue it but maybe schedule it better.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    That was the year we played Shamrock Rovers Enniscorthy, Shamrock Rovers B, and Shamrock Rovers all in the one season in competitive games. A nice little stat.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Munster Senior Cup is only three games for senior clubs anyway. To support the Cobh and Waterford opinions above I'd like to keep it, especially when two-thirds of it is pre-season for us.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I would love to see Harps play in the Northwest Cup. There were previous competitions like the Irish News Cup but currently it's only an Irish League competition.

And I'd fecking love if we could get in the County Antrim Shield. That would be class.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I would love to see Harps play in the Northwest Cup.
    Really? To play the likes of Tobermore, Strabane and Portstewart, or the reserves of Institute, Coleraine and Limavady?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Really? To play the likes of Tobermore, Strabane and Portstewart, or the reserves of Institute, Coleraine and Limavady?
    Places we'd otherwise not be visiting? Yeah, I'd love to see a Harps team in it too.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I'd love to see the Malone Cup extended to other Louth clubs - Termonfeckin and Hackballscross would be novelty places to visit for a football match

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast