Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: The George Best award for LOI player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

The George Best award for LOI player

I was going to comment on this in the transfer rumour section but thought it worth a thread of its own.
    I noticed Mark Quigley on the bohs transfer list and wondered had anyone got a better nominee for most talented with least delivered ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    If you named it the Historical George Best award you could give it to Best for not delivering during his spell in Cork 40 years ago!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Brandon Miele( for the past 2 seasons anyway)
    I'm sure he'll flourish at dundalk
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Has Miele not been Rovers best player for the last 2 seasons? (Although that’s probably not saying much)

Treacy has been a complete waster since coming home but he did ok in England for a while and got a few international caps so you can’t he didn’t deliver on his talent I suppose
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I was going to comment on this in the transfer rumour section but thought it worth a thread of its own.
    I noticed Mark Quigley on the bohs transfer list and wondered had anyone got a better nominee for most talented with least delivered ?
    Quigley was brilliant with Pats, Dundalk and Sligo. Was still insanely talented but he did OK for most of his LOI career until injures killed him
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Has Miele not been Rovers best player for the last 2 seasons? (Although that’s probably not saying much)

Treacy has been a complete waster since coming home but he did ok in England for a while and got a few international caps so you can’t he didn’t deliver on his talent I suppose
    I wouldn't say our best player but def far from worst,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Sadloserkid is complaining about being older than current players on the PFAI transfer list. I can remember Best's goal for Cork Celtic against Shelbourne in a packed Harold's Cross. It's not 40 years ago, is it? Free kick taken by Best from the far side of a jammed stadium (about 15-20 times the usual crowd, seriously) and aimed towards the far post, it went in directly across a forest of heads. I think they awarded it to someone else but it was Best's goal.

Since I'm reminiscing (or hallucinating), Sadloserkid may be interested to know that I also remember pretty well the Limerick - Real Madrid game in Lansdowne Road in the early 80s, I think. I was at the Havelock Square end and not many there. Cross came over from Limerick's right and Johnny Matthews glided past the first Madrid defender and buried a header into the net. When the ball hit the net, the linesman put up his flag for offside. This was in the era when linesmen adjudicated immediately for offside - no active/inactive sh1te. I can still remember thinking there's something fishy going on here.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

There are few current players who fit into the football genius category - but Mark Quigley, on his day was one of the most talented and entertaining footballers I have ever seen in LoI.

He was brilliant for most of his time at St Pats, and played incredible football at both Dundalk and Sligo. Bohs, Rovers and Derry fans did not see the best of him in their colours, but Quigley delivered some fantastic football over his career

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I agree completely but it's such a pity he finished so early

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    He was young player of the year for the entire league last year...

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaForth View Post
    Sadloserkid is complaining about being older than current players on the PFAI transfer list. I can remember Best's goal for Cork Celtic against Shelbourne in a packed Harold's Cross. It's not 40 years ago, is it? Free kick taken by Best from the far side of a jammed stadium (about 15-20 times the usual crowd, seriously) and aimed towards the far post, it went in directly across a forest of heads. I think they awarded it to someone else but it was Best's goal.

Since I'm reminiscing (or hallucinating), Sadloserkid may be interested to know that I also remember pretty well the Limerick - Real Madrid game in Lansdowne Road in the early 80s, I think. I was at the Havelock Square end and not many there. Cross came over from Limerick's right and Johnny Matthews glided past the first Madrid defender and buried a header into the net. When the ball hit the net, the linesman put up his flag for offside. This was in the era when linesmen adjudicated immediately for offside - no active/inactive sh1te. I can still remember thinking there's something fishy going on here.
    I do feel slightly better now. Thanks. I still feel my handle here is less accurate than I'd like (the last part anyway)!
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He was young player of the year for the entire league last year...
    The question raised related to talent Vs apllication.
    He is the most skilful player in the league, not as quick as Horgan but better ball control and more skilfull.
    he just hasn't bothered his hole for a long time CD.
    if you cant see that you havent really been paying attention
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Brando is a talented player but the idea he's so talented he can win awards without trying a tap is ridiculous. But I'll leave it at that anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    That's George Best, English league title winner (x 2) European cup winner, European player of the year....

Just saying...
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Ah come on I'm one of his biggest fans but I don't think many people would think he achieved everything he should have. I saw him playing for an ireland 11 once in dalymount best player on the pitch and could barely run

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Ok, it' probably arguable that he under achieved with the talent he had, but he still achieved a lot, the fact that he was more or less finished at the very top by his mid twenties doesn't take away from that. I forgot to add player of the year in England too. Given that he was always unlikely to play in a World Cup, given the era and playing for Northern Ireland, he won everything he could have. The only thing more he could have done is do it more often.

To have him down as some sort of poster boy for under acheivers is just a little bit out I think
    Last edited by TonyD; 09/11/2016 at 6:13 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    I agree on this for the most part, but Treacy gave an absolute masterclass in the home match against Dinamo Minsk this year. He was the best player on the pitch by a mile, even against a few internationals on the Minsk team. He really stepped up to the plate that night, and he was still about 2 stone overweight.

But, almost every other match I saw him in he under-performed. Maybe he just isn't motivated to play to his potential for a hum-drum domestic games. Saying that, i think Buckley is wasting him by playing him in deep midfield. He should be a wide attacker or a number 10 behind Fagan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    I agree on this for the most part, but Treacy gave an absolute masterclass in the home match against Dinamo Minsk this year. He was the best player on the pitch by a mile, even against a few internationals on the Minsk team. He really stepped up to the plate that night, and he was still about 2 stone overweight.

But, almost every other match I saw him in he under-performed. Maybe he just isn't motivated to play to his potential for a hum-drum domestic games. Saying that, i think Buckley is wasting him by playing him in deep midfield. He should be a wide attacker or a number 10 behind Fagan.
    Would be surprised to see him still with us next year.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    He really stepped up to the plate that night, and he was still about 2 stone overweight.
    This.

What a waste of talent