Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby 2016

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Healy is second choice for Leinster behind Jack McGrath - Furlong plays on the opposite side. He's probably unlucky not to travel as Marler isn't great but the way things go with injuries he will need to keep his boots laced anyway. Can't believe I'm actually saying that - the younger me would never have willingly expressed any interest in rugby.

Anyway, looks like a fairly solid if unspectacular selection to be beaten 3-0 by New Zealand. Can't say any Irish players can be hugely aggrieved at not getting in as for the most part the players selected ahead of them warrant their place on merit.

11 Irish players travel. You can probably assume at least two will pick up medium-term injuries that keep them out into next season and the fatigue will probably hamper Irish teams next year. Still, the players seem to see it as the pinnacle so good luck to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Oh for gods sake, I totally meant to say Jack McGrath. My mistake! That said, He does have more appearances and minutes than McGrath this season and last game I seen Leinster he was starting.

Anyway, I agree fully with the rest of the post and that it was possibly a coin flip re Healy going v Marler. That said, I always like to see Irish lads get the nod in those situations and will find a way to feel (a little) aggrieved!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Cian Healy? Barely first choice for Leinster!

We are off to USA and Japan Bonnie. The Japan series will be interesting, not Gimmies at all.
    MY tour to the USA. Japan ain't happening til 2019 for me.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Oh for gods sake, I totally meant to say Jack McGrath. My mistake! That said, He does have more appearances and minutes than McGrath this season and last game I seen Leinster he was starting.

Anyway, I agree fully with the rest of the post and that it was possibly a coin flip re Healy going v Marler. That said, I always like to see Irish lads get the nod in those situations and will find a way to feel (a little) aggrieved!
    Healy or Marler? A conversation that literally nobody had in the past few weeks. Dave Kilcoyne is having a far better and more effective season than Cian Healy - and should be Ireland's back up to McGrath, not Healy. Healy like a few of his counterparts in the Irish squad these days are in because of reputation rather than what he has achieved in the past year or two. A weakness in the scrum these days, his discipline leaves a lot to be desired also.

Anyway I'd rather we had less than 11 - id rather bring 6/7 and have them in and around the test team. We have a big year ahead of us next year, all 3 winnable Autumn tests , six nations and a tour to Australia. What's the point of our lads getting bashed around NZ this summer - its a great honour for them but the luster is gone from the Lions for me. If we selected a squad to go down there and play nice rugby, good to watch then we could get behind it but Gatland would have no issue going down there and win the first 2 tests 3-0 and 3-0 and head home with his test series. Win at all costs. Rubbish!
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 20/04/2017 at 9:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Stop being so cocky and arrogant. It has been mentioned in many media pieces before and after the announcement. I have selected a few for your reference. "literally nobody"

Alan Quinlan: https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/...quinlan-lions/

Cian Healy is someone who can feel disappointed, a little unlucky.

When you look at the English situation, they have Mako Vunipola and Joe Marler, we have Jack McGrath and Cian Healy as looseheads."
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/li...and-all-blacks
    Props look very good, thought Cian Healy might go but Marler edges him
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-uni...arler-england/
    Joe Marler.

Sneaks in ahead of Cian Healy, but could easily assert pole position for the tests..."
    http://www.planetrugby.com/news/lion...ft-at-home-xv/

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union...ky-to-miss-out

Shane Byrne: http://www.newstalk.com/shane-byrne-on-2017-lions-squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Stop being so touchy and sensitive Stu FFS.

Every single one of those articles you reference is after the event (i.e the selection) - realistically Healy was never in the running for a spot. Most of those articles are fluff pieces anyway, and most of them concede that he has lost his place in the Irish team to McGrath.

The quote in the Guardian is just from some random punter - again after the event.

The Great (Former St.Pats Programme contributor) Gerry Thornley Esq. for example even had McGrath in his squad prediction, not Healy.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...land-1.3049270

I'm not sure what Quinlan was getting at in his article on RTE, he definitely doesn't say why Healy was unlucky or why he suddenly is ahead of McGrath in the pecking order either - just rolls off a few names - a nonsense piece.

Healy is just a big name people like to reference after the event.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 20/04/2017 at 2:49 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The IRFU require that players' game time is managed over the season so the main guys all play similar amounts of rugby. As McGrath plays more for Ireland, he plays less for Leinster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Stop being so touchy and sensitive Stu FFS.

Every single one of those articles you reference is after the event (i.e the selection) - realistically Healy was never in the running for a spot. Most of those articles are fluff pieces anyway, and most of them concede that he has lost his place in the Irish team to McGrath.

The quote in the Guardian is just from some random punter - again after the event.

The Great (Former St.Pats Programme contributor) Gerry Thornley Esq. for example even had McGrath in his squad prediction, not Healy.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...land-1.3049270

I'm not sure what Quinlan was getting at in his article on RTE, he definitely doesn't say why Healy was unlucky or why he suddenly is ahead of McGrath in the pecking order either - just rolls off a few names - a nonsense piece.

Healy is just a big name people like to reference after the event.
    If it was brought up after, it would have been brought up before. I can really go and scour some of the older articles I read if you want. You can't just assert that my statement that Healy was unlucky not to make the cut was preposterous and then ignore multiple, various sources that make the same claim I made just because you think you know better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    If it was brought up after, it would have been brought up before. I can really go and scour some of the older articles I read if you want. You can't just assert that my statement that Healy was unlucky not to make the cut was preposterous and then ignore multiple, various sources that make the same claim I made just because you think you know better.
    Jees Stu take a chill - 'tis only the internet.

Lets just agree that McGrath should have possibly made the plane , Kilcoyne & Cronin should fight for the No. 1 spot in Japan if and when he does get a call and DJ Proper Church should remain on the decks for the summer hols.

I do concede that Healy would have been in the conversation with some pundits but realistically for reason's I've mentioned previously he was never really in a position to win a spot imo. OTT to say he wasn't touted alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Cronin is the greatest Irish name!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Meh, maybe so but it is still pretty frustrating to have those sources swatted away as not good enough to prove a fairly passive comment about Healy. Plus I think you are taking a more aggressive tone from the comment you highlighted than was intended.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

Lets just agree that McGrath should have possibly made the plane , Kilcoyne & Cronin should fight for the No. 1 spot in Japan if and when he does get a call and DJ Proper Church should remain on the decks for the summer hols.

I do concede that Healy would have been in the conversation with some pundits but realistically for reason's I've mentioned previously he was never really in a position to win a spot imo. OTT to say he wasn't touted alright.
    You'd imagine Healy, and a few others like Earls and Zebo, will go to Japan because they'll need to be ready in case they're called in as injury cover in NZ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Munster truly outclassed in that second half. however I felt Sarries were lucky to get away with not having another man in the bin for a variety of reasons. Poite let them go a lot closer to the edge.

Bleyendaal's miss was the moment the game was lost. The difference that Murray makes is incalculable.

Hopefully Leinster do the business tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Brutal first half in Lyon.

Hopefully that last few minutes of the first half is a sign of things to come for the second half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Leinster doing the hard part and giving it away. Second half was a classic though...

Hopefully Lopez misses this though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Probably a good time as any to just call this "The Rugby Thread"?

---

RWC2019 draw tomorrow.

I'm hoping for Argentina in the group and whatever means we don't meet NZ until the SF at least. After that I couldn't give a monkeys.

Still don't get why people don't want NZ in their group. That game is a freebie. You can't play them again until the final if it comes to that. I'd take 5th in the seedings and NZ in my group tbh.

Anyone planning on a trip over?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Probably a good time as any to just call this "The Rugby Thread"?

---

RWC2019 draw tomorrow.

I'm hoping for Argentina in the group and whatever means we don't meet NZ until the SF at least. After that I couldn't give a monkeys.

Still don't get why people don't want NZ in their group. That game is a freebie. You can't play them again until the final if it comes to that. I'd take 5th in the seedings and NZ in my group tbh.

Anyone planning on a trip over?
    Irish rugby fans talking about the RWC in the context of the final is pretty laughable given we have never won a RWC knock-out game......EVER!

I'd love Ireland to be involved in the first match against Japan, but I just hope the draw is even sided and not lopsided like last time with Eng / Wal / Aus in same group, which, while great craic to see England knocked out, took from the tournament slightly imo. Even worse to have the 4 Southern Hemisphere teams in the SF, although its hard to see SA recover their form in time to make an impression in 2019.

Best Case scenario - Ireland , Scotland, Goergia
    Worst Case scenario - Ireland, Wales, Argentina.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Irish rugby fans talking about the RWC in the context of the final is pretty laughable given we have never won a RWC knock-out game......EVER!

I'd love Ireland to be involved in the first match against Japan, but I just hope the draw is even sided and not lopsided like last time with Eng / Wal / Aus in same group, which, while great craic to see England knocked out, took from the tournament slightly imo. Even worse to have the 4 Southern Hemisphere teams in the SF, although its hard to see SA recover their form in time to make an impression in 2019.

Best Case scenario - Ireland , Scotland, Goergia
    Worst Case scenario - Ireland, Wales, Argentina.
    I wasn't talking about us getting to a final. I was just talking about how people seem to think that getting NZ in their group is a bad thing. I beg to differ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I love me a live draw. And here it is:

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/pooldraw

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    There is a touch of the Sepp Blatter about Bill Beaumount isn't there.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast