Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rugby 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Just go.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Only another 16 odd years until dependents become independant, but on the countdown!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Fine margins again in the Lions. First try for NZ was from a forward pass (freeze frame it from where the pass was made and then caught). O'Mahoney asked the ref to review and he ignored him. Couple infringements in the scrum also led to other tries. Scrum far from the dominant set piece the Sky commentators thought it would be - hasn't been all tour. Not optimistic as it is usually the first game that NZ are caught cold. Sky commentators thought NZ place kicking would be weak and Lions (Farrell) stronger. Of course it went the other way - suffering from George Hamiltonitis.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Fine margins again in the Lions. First try for NZ was from a forward pass (freeze frame it from where the pass was made and then caught). O'Mahoney asked the ref to review and he ignored him.
    That's not the rule though.

The rule is based on the passing motion itself, not the location of the pass compared to the catch.

'Backwards out of the hands' is the term commonly used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    That's not the rule though.

The rule is based on the passing motion itself, not the location of the pass compared to the catch.

'Backwards out of the hands' is the term commonly used.
    I often wondered why there was a focus on the passing motion (which can be a bit more difficult to gauge objectively) as opposed to the final destination of the pass relative to its point of origin (which would be much easier to measure), but then it was pointed out to me that not all passes will of course be caught. For example, a passer may throw the ball back to a team-mate, who may fail to catch it, resulting in the ball bouncing on the ground and potentially forward to a point on the pitch that is ahead of the line from where the pass was originally thrown.

If the rule prevented a team-mate receiving or collecting a pass that has gone forward from the point of the pass, then that would prohibit players in that team from picking up that loose ball, which would presumably have detrimental repercussions for the fluidity and flow of the game. It would also potentially punish teams for something (the bounce of an egg-shaped ball) that could be reasonably deemed beyond their control. So, it made much better sense then once those possible undesirable consequences were highlighted to me.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I often wondered why there was a focus on the passing motion (which can be a bit more difficult to gauge objectively) as opposed to the final destination of the pass relative to its point of origin (which would be much easier to measure), but then it was pointed out to me that not all passes will of course be caught. For example, a passer may throw the ball back to a team-mate, who may fail to catch it, resulting in the ball bouncing on the ground and potentially forward to a point on the pitch that is ahead of the line from where the pass was originally thrown.
    Well, that's not it. If the ball hits the ground then the pass is finished so where it bounces is irrelevant.

The reason they use the 'passing motion' rather than destination is because of momentum. If I'm running and I throw the ball behind me but with less velocity than I'm currently travelling, the ball with end up in front of where I threw it. So, in practice, a lot of the time when a rugby player throws the ball behind him it still ends up at a point in front of where he threw it.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well, that's not it. If the ball hits the ground then the pass is finished so where it bounces is irrelevant.
    Ah, I see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Remember lads Rugby has laws not rules - laws that are open to interpretation!

Anyway - a cracking game this am - Hurricanes 31-31 Lions. The midweek teams games have been entertaining.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    Anyone got any views on the tackling on Murray complaints? One gif I saw looked like a blatant attempt to chop him down on his standing leg, an utter disgrace in my opinion. My instinct was to think it was just Gatland whingeing when I read about it, but then I saw a clip and it horrified me. No way was it an attempt at a block. Barbaric.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Anyone got any views on the tackling on Murray complaints? One gif I saw looked like a blatant attempt to chop him down on his standing leg, an utter disgrace in my opinion. My instinct was to think it was just Gatland whingeing when I read about it, but then I saw a clip and it horrified me. No way was it an attempt at a block. Barbaric.
    Same thing happened to him against Glasgow this year and there was a bit of back and forth over that as well.

It looks worse slowed down and I don't think it was malicious - but it's still clumsy and VERY dangerous and was a pen / Yellow card for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    keep an eye on murray for a second or two after he kicks each time. usually barged, pushed or similar after almost every kick. should be a pen every time

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    NZ are filth and get away with murder at every turn. It's easy to win a hape of matches when you've got he ref with ye. If they were refereed as hard as everyone else you'd see a different approach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    NZ are filth and get away with murder at every turn. It's easy to win a hape of matches when you've got he ref with ye. If they were refereed as hard as everyone else you'd see a different approach.
    The ref must have been reading your comment, Bonnie. It was interesting that the two linesmen (identical twins?) were very reluctant to agree with the ref when he said that it a sending off offence.

Much and all as I am interested in the Lions, was the game worth 6 (yes 6) pages in the Sunday Times sport supplement? I know there isn't a huge amount of other sport on at the moment but that's a bit ott.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Listen to Gavin Cummiskey here.

http://www.newstalk.com/Gavin-Cummis...ks-game-again-

The world and its mother knows that NZ get away with murder. Maybe Garces will finally be the ref to show the rest how it's done. Or... he'll never get an AB game again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    The ref must have been reading your comment, Bonnie. It was interesting that the two linesmen (identical twins?) were very reluctant to agree with the ref when he said that it a sending off offence.
    apparently 50 years since the last all black was sent off. says it all really.

while we are on the topic of ABs getting away with murder...... how long will the professional rugby world tolerate one team getting an extended warm up (the haka) just before KO while the other team has to stand still in the piddling cold rain??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    The excuse that's always thrown out about the haka is that the rules pertaining to it are the same rules that allow Ireland to have 2 anthems played. Albeit that only happens when we play in Dublin. They get teh poxy haka in EVERY match!

The thing is though, NZ are World Rugby's crown jewels so anything that approaches

The problem with criticizing the All Blacks (which reminds me of when one criticizes Kerry) is that the skin is so thin that you're shouted down about being a sore loser. Look at the NZ Herald anytime they play a NH team.

8 months on and I'm still annoyed at Peyper's "performance" in Lansdowne [See Kieran Read here: https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/...6268961787904]. It was a disgrace. And all we were told to do was to "carry-on" and not be sore losers. It's a jip.

Still can't find the forward [QB style pass] that they had for the final try that day. Must root it out when I have time.

EDIT: and I forgot about Barrett's "try" when no grounding could be seen.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 03/07/2017 at 3:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    The excuse that's always thrown out about the haka is that the rules pertaining to it are the same rules that allow Ireland to have 2 anthems played. Albeit that only happens when we play in Dublin. They get teh poxy haka in EVERY match!
    but both teams have to endure Irelands Call before the match under the same conditions. there's no advantage to us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    The haka and Ireland's Call - wrist cutting stuff.

And what sort of substances was Vunipola on? He gets a clear warning from the ref "to be careful" after one of his infringements and within 2 minutes he commits another one and gets a yellow.I would check for betting irregularities around that time. He's not even a great scrummager by all accounts.

As ever, when a team gives away penalties, we hear after the game "this is something we're going to have to work on". Next game arrives: loads of penalties given away. "We're going to have to work on this". Rugby has some many technical rules, most apparently unknown by the players, and played at such a physical and frantic pace, that I wish them good luck with that.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast