Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Next years first division

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I don't want more Cabinteely's in the league either. No offence to them, but we all know they aren't going anywhere fast.
    Are they that different from where Wexford Youths would have been at their outset ? Happy to be corrected if so.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    In all fairness, I think Cabinteely have been a grand addition to the league.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    In all fairness, I think Cabinteely have been a grand addition to the league.
    The attitude they have towards the league is the important thing.

Imagine the horror show some of the clubs that moaned about not being let in would be if they have LOI teams. Fielding teams in a league in which teams that actually want to be there find it difficult and this other lot then almost doing it under protest. No thanks.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Talking about potential LOI clubs has always been a exercise in futility of course, but you still wonder about the urban centres in Ireland bigger than, say Longford or Wexford or Cobh, that could support a LOI club if the locals were arsed or if it wasn't such a financial dead-end. Places like Navan, Ennis or Kilkenny.
    A team in Navan would find it very tough to draw any type of meaningful supporter base. In Meath, gaelic football is king and always will be, even if the county team has gone to sh!te recently. Navan has a decent population (around 30k i think) and a big catchment area, but there's a bunch of v well established and successful GAA clubs in and around the town (O'Mahoney's, Simonstown, Senchalstown, Wolfe Tones, Rathkenny, Skryne etc) and Navan rugby club has been very prominent in the town for years too. Navan Cosmos and Park Villa are decent football teams but it's a gaelic football town, with rugby and football battling it out for a distant 2nd place. Same applies for other urban centres like Ashbourne.

Also, Colm O'Rourke still has a big influence in Navan. He's the principal in the main boys secondary school in the town (which has about 1000 pupils listed at any time). He's involved with the school's gaelic football teams and they are usually v good. I don't think the school has ever even had a soccer team. which further entrenches the GAA dominance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Also, Colm O'Rourke still has a big influence in Navan. He's the principal in the main boys secondary school in the town (which has about 1000 pupils listed at any time). He's involved with the school's gaelic football teams and they are usually v good. I don't think the school has ever even had a soccer team. which further entrenches the GAA dominance.
    GAA dominance hasn't stopped Kerry teams being part of the old U21 league, defunct A Championship and recent U17 league.

The upcoming U15 league and existing LoI underage leagues are a suitable platform for soccer people in Meath or any area.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    GAA dominance hasn't stopped Kerry teams being part of the old U21 league, defunct A Championship and recent U17 league.

The upcoming U15 league and existing LOI underage leagues are a suitable platform for soccer people in Meath or any area.
    I'm not saying it can't be done - simply explaining that Navan (and Meath in general) is not, and never has never been a hotbed for soccer so a LOI club would find it hard to survive. I heard recently that we've never had anyone from the county earn a cap for the ROI team. There's very little tradition of soccer in Meath, even less than Kerry i'd say. At least you have Tralee Dynamos who've been interested in joining the LOI in the past.
    Our proximity to Dublin probably hasn't helped though. The best kids in the meath leagues are quickly spotted and brought to a Dublin club or Drogheda boys if they're good enough so our underage (club and representative) teams tend to be quite weak too. It's a cycle which perpetuates itself. The biggest club in the county would be Parkvilla in Navan. They're a middling LSL team and have never shown any interest in becoming a LOI club. Maybe they know that it would be too much of a struggle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I'm not saying it can't be done - simply explaining that Navan (and Meath in general) is not, and never has never been a hotbed for soccer so a LOI club would find it hard to survive.
    If that's the lie of the land, it's the way it is. Hopefully as the underage leagues become established, more areas will join.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    With non-LoI entities from non-LoI areas being allowed join the underage leagues, it's unknown if that will lead to more clubs joining the league? With the U17 league having started in 2015 and the U15 league set to start in 2017, the U13 league will possibly start in 2019?

As much as I'm an advocate for an intermediary league, the focus is correctly on the underage setup. When the underage leagues are in place, clubs should have a better idea on whether an intermediary league is feasible and a necessary step between underage to senior level. A decision might need to be made in how non-LoI entities in the underage league join the LoI at senior level?
    I just don't see what's in it for 99%+ of current non-LOI teams to want to enter the senior ranks to be honest.

Beyond Board room ego or ill-defined ideas of 'ambition', why would they ? It's a huge step-up in costs with little additional income generated, and they'll have seen the likes of strong clubs like Monaghan, Kilkenny, St Francis etc give it a go and get their fingers burned. Much simpler and strategically beneficial for clubs to instead focus on their own facilities, their underage set up etc, rather than roll the financial dice on joining a League that most of them look down on anyway.

Until the FAI pumps significantly more money into the prize funds available for finishing at every rung of the senior ladder, I just don't see what's in it for anyone new to join. The lack of clubs knocking on the FAI's door for entry would seem to support that view as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I just don't see what's in it for 99%+ of current non-LOI teams to want to enter the senior ranks to be honest.

Beyond Board room ego or ill-defined ideas of 'ambition', why would they ? It's a huge step-up in costs with little additional income generated, and they'll have seen the likes of strong clubs like Monaghan, Kilkenny, St Francis etc give it a go and get their fingers burned. Much simpler and strategically beneficial for clubs to instead focus on their own facilities, their underage set up etc, rather than roll the financial dice on joining a League that most of them look down on anyway.

Until the FAI pumps significantly more money into the prize funds available for finishing at every rung of the senior ladder, I just don't see what's in it for anyone new to join. The lack of clubs knocking on the FAI's door for entry would seem to support that view as well.
    The reason the DDSL clubs want to join is to prevent their players leaving to join the Dublin LOI underage setups from 14 years old.
    They could run an amateur team of their 18 and 19 year olds in the LOI first division...finish bottom every year and still get the transfer fees to the UK for the kids they send over at 15.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Your post seems to suggest that there is a movement amongst DDS clubs to want to game the LOI First Division to take advantage of overseas transfer fees.

Is there any evidence of this ? Which DDSL clubs are genuinely trying to join the LOI ? Have any of them expressed a firm interest (St Kevin's was mentioned above, but it seemed to be more rumour than fact) ? I can't see the FAI wanting more Dublin clubs in the League anyway, so what clubs want and what they may be able to get could be too very different things.

Even if there was a few looking to join - I still can't see the economics of it working out. How much in transfer fees do these clubs genuinely pocket in the average year ? And how would that compare to the cost of having to run a senior club in a national league ? And how much would the underage development etc suffer (and thereby the pot f gold at the end of the rainbow) if the same small pool of volunteers were having to run a senior club as well as their usual underage set up ? They'd attract very little if any additional help by being a senior club, so someone has to cover the additional workload involved
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 14/11/2016 at 3:29 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Is there any evidence of this ? Which DDSL clubs are genuinely trying to join the LOI ? Have any of them expressed a firm interest (St Kevin's was mentioned above, but it seemed to be more rumour than fact) ?
    St Kevin's def were in contact with the FAI about joining the 1st Div. more info here - http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-31518488.html

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Thanks - an interesting read.

It's probably unfair to assume the FAI refused entry to them just because they didn't want too many Dublin clubs. Surely it was that, combined with the fact that they thought there were other Dublin Clubs who's involvement was preferable ? In which case I can't see how they would get into a First Division that currently contains 3 Dublin clubs out of 8 already ? In otherwords, a) Already contains too many Dublin clubs, and b) Has others that are in a stronger position to make a claim on a place than St Levin's ? Cabinteely were 'right time, right place' lucky to get in when the FAI were desperate to not have a ridiculous 7 team league, but I can't see that being repeated unless something unexpected happens.

Also - is it just me or is there something grubby about a boy's team wanting to join the senior set-up entirely to pursue player sell-on fees?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    We'll see over the next few years. There is support in some quarters for an intermediary league. Again I can't see it being given consideration until the U13 league is in place.

If non-LoI teams are in the underage leagues and an intermediary/U23 league is formed, it would seem fair to invite them as well.How that might lead to any joining senior ranks will be up to the powers that be.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Heard a ridiculous rumour Mullingar town are looking to join the league. Didn't one of the Mullingar teams make a big push years back to try get in and it went tits up? Would be great for ourselves and athlone to have another Derby but wouldn't see them having any support or facilities.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    That was about 15 years ago alright; maybe even longer.

Had a team full of foreigners too - Nigerians and Poles and all sorts. This was in the days before that kind of stuff of course! Was a weird one.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Heard a ridiculous rumour Mullingar town are looking to join the league. Didn't one of the Mullingar teams make a big push years back to try get in and it went tits up? Would be great for ourselves and athlone to have another Derby but wouldn't see them having any support or facilities.
    Yep, a Mullingar bloke who had gone to England and made a bit of money had hoped to create a LOI club in his home town. Not sure why he chose Mullingar Town, because they've always been the v poor neighbour of Mullingar Athletic - the big club in town. Athletic have always been very well run and have outstanding facilities and big membership. They won an FAI award for best junior club in the country a few yrs back. They have 5/6 pitches that are like billiard tables and a few astros, one of them full size, lovely big clubhouse - they'd put a lot of LOI clubs to shame.

Anyway, i think the deal was that Mullingar Town and their new investor were allowed to enter a team into the u21 (as it was then) league and if they showed enough progress and won the u21 league they'd be considered for entry into the senior league. They brought a coach and a whole squad over from England - all lads from in and around London who had been trialists at football league teams but hadn't made the grade. I think they were all getting between 100-200 quid a week. They did ok for a few yrs in their u21 leinster group - think they finished 2nd or 3rd, but then the team was pulled out. Not sure if their investor lost interest/money or if they were eventually denied entry to the senior division or what, but the dream died after a few yrs and they went back to being a v ordinary junior club. They had an ok little pitch with a small shed on one side and a small astro but nothing else. And they were located in a less than desirable part of the town.

Funnily enough, around that same time (early to mid noughties), Mullingar Athletic were considering becoming a LOI club one day too, so they also entered a team into the u21 league. So, for a few yrs i think there were 2 LOI u21 teams in the town, but they played in different groups (Leinster had double the amount of teams to every other province so they split it into 2). Unlike Town, Athletic had a squad full local lads, only a couple of whom got any money. They finished mid table for about 2/3 yrs in a row but then i think they pulled out too. I think they realised that there would never have been enough support in the town to keep a senior LOI club afloat. I think Athletic are back playing in the midlands league now, where they're one of the top teams along with a couple of good junior clubs from Athlone.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    found an old article explaining the Mullingar Town set-up from that period - http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-26078551.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    They seem to get mentioned from time to time because of the year they applied to join. Like everyone else, they'll link up with the underage leagues first if they are genuinely interested.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Yep, a Mullingar bloke who had gone to England and made a bit of money had hoped to create a LOI club in his home town. Not sure why he chose Mullingar Town, because they've always been the v poor neighbour of Mullingar Athletic - the big club in town. Athletic have always been very well run and have outstanding facilities and big membership. They won an FAI award for best junior club in the country a few yrs back. They have 5/6 pitches that are like billiard tables and a few astros, one of them full size, lovely big clubhouse - they'd put a lot of LOI clubs to shame.

Anyway, i think the deal was that Mullingar Town and their new investor were allowed to enter a team into the u21 (as it was then) league and if they showed enough progress and won the u21 league they'd be considered for entry into the senior league. They brought a coach and a whole squad over from England - all lads from in and around London who had been trialists at football league teams but hadn't made the grade. I think they were all getting between 100-200 quid a week. They did ok for a few yrs in their u21 leinster group - think they finished 2nd or 3rd, but then the team was pulled out. Not sure if their investor lost interest/money or if they were eventually denied entry to the senior division or what, but the dream died after a few yrs and they went back to being a v ordinary junior club. They had an ok little pitch with a small shed on one side and a small astro but nothing else. And they were located in a less than desirable part of the town.

Funnily enough, around that same time (early to mid noughties), Mullingar Athletic were considering becoming a LOI club one day too, so they also entered a team into the u21 league. So, for a few yrs i think there were 2 LOI u21 teams in the town, but they played in different groups (Leinster had double the amount of teams to every other province so they split it into 2). Unlike Town, Athletic had a squad full local lads, only a couple of whom got any money. They finished mid table for about 2/3 yrs in a row but then i think they pulled out too. I think they realised that there would never have been enough support in the town to keep a senior LOI club afloat. I think Athletic are back playing in the midlands league now, where they're one of the top teams along with a couple of good junior clubs from Athlone.
    Yeah I've seen the facilities out at Athletic, absolutely unreal. If they could build a stand like in Feerycarrig it would be more than suitable as a LOI ground apart from the distance it is outside the town. The ground would need to be bang centre if Mullingar if they were to ever attract anyone to games.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I recall being told some years back that there was such bad blood between the two Mullingar teams that the fans/members of one would rather support Longford than the other lot if they were in the LOI. They didn't like Athlone either apparently.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

22. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast