International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    what? lol
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-26854499.html

As punishment, Mick brought the boy to watch during Euro 2012... to be fair, the punishment may not have fit the crime.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Would anyone notice if we allowed this lot drift away on their garbage barge?
    Part of the problem with the First Division is that there are no sporting consequences for being ****e, other than being stuck in the division of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Any talk of any clubs wanting to make the step up? I remember there being talk of St Kevin's doing a Cabo in order to gain access to the national underage leagues. Hopefully it won't be too long before Monaghan return, the Monaghan/Cavan underage side is hopefully a blueprint for that.

As for talk above of restoring the A Championship, surely there's no appetite or need for this. Even the Premier League has largely disbanded its reserve system in favor of underage leagues. Increased costs for clubs that would be better spent on youth development. A better avenue for senior teams to gradually join the LOI if they're not ready to step right in than the A Championship would be to first enter the u17 league then work your way up and join the First Division. There's not exactly excess demand keeping clubs down the queue.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    No way will the fai allow that. We don't need another loi club in dublin. Plus the likes of kevins will still only have an interest in the child slave trade to the UK

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Clonmel are applying for a licence i was told
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ATFC-1887 View Post
    Town/Celtic?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I'm sure the usual rumours will float around this winter. Tralee, Carlow, somewhere in Meath. In the end it just isn't worth it for new clubs. That latest report didn't even broach the topic.

I don't want more Cabinteely's in the league either. No offence to them, but we all know they aren't going anywhere fast.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    As for talk above of restoring the A Championship, surely there's no appetite or need for this. Even the Premier League has largely disbanded its reserve system in favor of underage leagues. Increased costs for clubs that would be better spent on youth development. A better avenue for senior teams to gradually join the LOI if they're not ready to step right in than the A Championship would be to first enter the u17 league then work your way up and join the First Division. There's not exactly excess demand keeping clubs down the queue.
    There's a Premier League 2 across the water. It replaced their U21 league with age limit raised to U23. The priority is rightly on the structures from U13 to U19. Once those structures are in place, if an intermediary league is feasible and seen as a necessary step, the A Championship could be restored. It could be U23 for LoI teams with no age limit for non-LoI entities.

Quote Originally Posted by ATFC-1887 View Post
    Is that for the underage leagues?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I'm sure the usual rumours will float around this winter. Tralee, Carlow, somewhere in Meath. In the end it just isn't worth it for new clubs. That latest report didn't even broach the topic.

I don't want more Cabinteely's in the league either. No offence to them, but we all know they aren't going anywhere fast.
    I'd be happier wit more Cabos than a one tier system tbh.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Talking about potential LOI clubs has always been a exercise in futility of course, but you still wonder about the urban centres in Ireland bigger than, say Longford or Wexford or Cobh, that could support a LOI club if the locals were arsed or if it wasn't such a financial dead-end. Places like Navan, Ennis or Kilkenny.

I mean, Clonmel would be interesting, for sure, No idea how competitive you could reasonably expect them to be,
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Talking about potential LOI clubs has always been a exercise in futility of course, but you still wonder about the urban centres in Ireland bigger than, say Longford or Wexford or Cobh, that could support a LOI club if the locals were arsed or if it wasn't such a financial dead-end. Places like Navan, Ennis or Kilkenny.

I mean, Clonmel would be interesting, for sure, No idea how competitive you could reasonably expect them to be,
    Were they to join I'd say they'd be able to hold their own within a year or two, one of the advantages that they have is that Clonmel is a decent sized town, their ground also is pretty close to the town centre which is a big help imo (e.g Kilkenny were always at a disadvantage given their ground was a few miles outside the city). Less travelling for us too
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    It amazes me how the north has a 4 tier system and then a link from the amateur leagues into this "senior" system. how we can't establish something like this is a joke.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quayman View Post
    It amazes me how the north has a 4 tier system and then a link from the amateur leagues into this "senior" system. how we can't establish something like this is a joke.
    Where's it getting them though gauging by crowds and European results?
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Also don't forget all football in the north plays winter season.

It would be good to have a link from LOI FD to say the Leinster or Munster leagues, both would prob have the strongest junior teams, but they all play winter compared to summer for LOI.

A massive challenge for the Irish league is playing in Europe a full month before they play a competitive domestic match, but next years FD is going to be a massive challenge for the LOI. It's probably the weakest standard in its 30 year existence.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quayman View Post
    afaik, the IFA has a proper structure, unlike the FAI. Too many equally weighted sections in the FAI to have any coherent overall plan.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Where's it getting them though gauging by crowds and European results?
    Don't you tirelessly rail for the restoration of the A Championship and a senior team in every village, hamlet and crossroads in the country? I would have expected you to be all over this tbh.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Don't you tirelessly rail for the restoration of the A Championship and a senior team in every village, hamlet and crossroads in the country? I would have expected you to be all over this tbh.
    I see merits in an intermediary league where it's optional for LoI clubs and clubs from mainly non-LoI are allowed join if they are part of the underage leagues. I can't see one being put in place until after the U13 league is in place.

I thought the Munster Senior League is full of Cork teams? Linked to the First Division will that lead a repeat of the Galway situation of too many LoI clubs for the area?If there's a need for another LoI club in a LoI area, I'm sure they can apply to join the underage leagues and First Division if more expressions of interest are sought?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I thought the Munster Senior League is full of Cork teams?
    It is. There's not one team in any of the MSL divisions from outside of Cork. It's just one of our many league systems at this stage, but it is the highest quality. We love our factions down here.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There's a Premier League 2 across the water. It replaced their U21 league with age limit raised to U23. The priority is rightly on the structures from U13 to U19. Once those structures are in place, if an intermediary league is feasible and seen as a necessary step, the A Championship could be restored. It could be U23 for LoI teams with no age limit for non-LoI entities.

Is that for the underage leagues?
    This is a viable starting option - problem with the under age development to senior level are the gaps, grated the u/15's will start however it should bring in u/13 next - the gap from u/19 to senior is too great for some that need a bit more time - having an u/23 with a option to play two overage players for loi teams would be sensible. i think the key will to keep it competitive so it is a part of the player development.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    It is. There's not one team in any of the MSL divisions from outside of Cork. It's just one of our many league systems at this stage, but it is the highest quality. We love our factions down here.
    Cork City had their bid to enter a B team rejected then as well.

Kerry and Monaghan-Cavan have shown the way for other non-LoI areas. Talk of Clonmel must be regards the U15 league and/or U17 league.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast