Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FIFA disciplinary proceedings over 1916 Easter Rising logo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I'm inclined to think that if Argentina put out a shirt with an outline of the country embossed into the fabric that included the Falkland/Malvinas Isles, that the Brits would lose their minds.
    They're already bringing that up.
    Daily Mail Outraged

Scroll to the bottom to see some Rugby team's specially designed jersey

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    So what's the problem? They got permission off the wrong governing body maybe? It looks to me like they tried to do everything above board and if UEFA gave them permission then maybe they're the ones FIFA need to slap down. There's no way the FAI should just take it on the chin if that's the case.
    I've been looking for a quote but can't find much. A few articles mention the FAI have been granted permission but it doesn't say from who.
    Did the FAI need to get permission from the government to use the 1916 logo on the shirt too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Me too. It's borderline impossible now because most logical searches just throw up the developments over the past 24 hours. I did find this but it's more like a Waterford Whisperers News article rather than something in a newspaper. I guess the date of the article has a lot to do with that but they did mention UEFA regarding the clearance, whether that's based on fact or fiction I don't know.

Uefa had given Ireland the all-clear to wear the one-off badge but it seems some Swiss officials at the game raised the matter with Uefa in recent days as they felt it broke the regulations regarding ‘political messages’ in the game.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Me too. It's borderline impossible now because most logical searches just throw up the developments over the past 24 hours. I did find this but it's more like a Waterford Whisperers News article rather than something in a newspaper. I guess the date of the article has a lot to do with that but they did mention UEFA regarding the clearance, whether that's based on fact or fiction I don't know.
    Classic Sunday World headline.

I did my own searching and found some articles about the FAI in negotiations with the Irish government, but not FIFA - it read like FIFA's approval was only needed for competitive games, but I don't know what the story is there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Did the FAI need to get permission from the government to use the 1916 logo on the shirt too?
    A little bit about that here.

7. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    England were able to put it on armbands before in a friendly. I thought this was more a problem cos its not a friendly. the Ireland was a friendly though so therein lies the distinction.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    All official A level friendlies fall under Fifa's jurisdiction.
    There is no charge yet, I wouldn't sweat over it. The UK press furore and faux outrage over Fifa's position on the poppy is just magnifying the enormity of the FAI's alleged crime by a factor of a thousand. You'd think the FAI had burned an effigy of Infantino in the centre circle.
    Even if found guilty, the FAI at worst would just have to pay a petty cash fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I was sure that the friendlies were under jurisdiction of the FAI and that qualifiers were under the jurisdiction of FIFA, making the issue of the Easter Rising commemoration nothing to do with FIFA.

Here is a debate I took part in yesterday on BBC World Service about the poppy jersey debate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04d8k19
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I was sure that the friendlies were under jurisdiction of the FAI and that qualifiers were under the jurisdiction of FIFA, making the issue of the Easter Rising commemoration nothing to do with FIFA.

Here is a debate I took part in yesterday on BBC World Service about the poppy jersey debate

FIFA statute 70
    The Council shall compile an international match calendar that shall be binding
    upon the confederations, member associations and leagues, after conferring
    with the confederations.

Statute 71.
    International matches and competitions

1. The Council shall be responsible for issuing regulations for organising international matches and competitions between representative teams and between leagues, club and/or scratch teams. No such match or competition shall take place without the prior permission of FIFA, the confederations and/ or the member associations in accordance with the Regulations Governing International Matches.

The Council may issue further provisions for such matches and competitions.

The Council shall determine any criteria for authorising line-ups that are not covered by the Regulations Governing International Matches.

Notwithstanding the authorisation competences as set forth in the Regulations Governing International Matches, FIFA may take the final decision on the authorisation of any international match or competition.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post

There's nothing like referring to Londonderry in relation to McClean to completely ruin your point. [First Caller]

"It's a tradition like going to your mother's for Sunday dinner." Sap. [Second Caller]

Ah there ya are. [Third Caller]

He redeemed himself. [First Caller]

---

Spoke well. Well done.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 04/11/2016 at 10:54 PM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    It's a sensible rule designed to keep a lid on a can of worms. The reaction to the poppy thing is moderate enough in comparison to what else is potentially out there.

If this is allowed it is inevitable that Armenia will want to put a Forget-Me-Not on their shirt for the April matches to mark the genocide there, at which point Turkey will freak. The Balkans are very tricky as well

Why would football want to put itself through that?
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    It was a 100 year event completely unrelated to football. I take your point on the poppy thing. It's gotten way out of hand and now we (the grand 'we' ...the FAI) have just facilitated it getting worse.
    Poppy day is not related to football either, I guess the FAI can take a small fine and do the same thing in 2116. it is a bigger issue for the English FA.

How long before the German team are turning out in Nazi armbands?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    If the USA team all got Donald Trump hair cuts, would FIFA allow that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Poppy day is not related to football either, I guess the FAI can take a small fine and do the same thing in 2116. it is a bigger issue for the English FA.

I agree Poppy day isn't related to football and made the point in previous that as recently as 1999 the English and Scots playing out the exact same fixture in November didn't think so either.

I'd like to know is there a scale or schedule of punishments that FIFA could seek to put on us because what I initially thought might be a small fine might turn out to be something more substantial if they decide to make an example of us so as to deter others.

Whatever about German teams and Nazi armbands -How long before Russia decide to put, I dunno, a blank headstone motif on their shirts? -which they'll say is merely decorative and has nothing to do with commemorating the unmarked graves of anyones comrades who were killed while getting up to allsorts in Eastern Ukraine this last while?

It's a good rule. We broke it.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Actually just as a measure of how absurd this is getting I earlier read a comment in the indo by someone giving out about FIFA sanctioning UNICEF awareness and charity fixtures and then daring not allow us stick 1916 stuff on our togs.

Yeah -way to stick it to those malnourished, homeless, bombed out kids. If we can't beat our chests to express our pride at events we actually had nothing to do with -well then screw them.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The big irony is that the laws around player dress code were formulated by the 4 UK associations, acting as FIFA's lawmakers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I tend to blame John Delaney for everything. Certainly for everything that's wrong with the FAI and most definitely for this fiasco. Then RTE go and dig up his predecessor Fran Rooney for his tuppenceworth and he says FIFA have to get with the times. How do we end up with this class of gombeen running the whole show? Surely in their roles they've done a bit of travel, met a few counterparts and maybe learned exactly why it's better to find a formula that unites rather than emphasises difference.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    I tend to blame John Delaney for everything. Certainly for everything that's wrong with the FAI and most definitely for this fiasco. Then RTE go and dig up his predecessor Fran Rooney for his tuppenceworth and he says FIFA have to get with the times. How do we end up with this class of gombeen running the whole show? Surely in their roles they've done a bit of travel, met a few counterparts and maybe learned exactly why it's better to find a formula that unites rather than emphasises difference.
    What fiasco?
    get a grip on reality.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I watched Sky News yesterday as Damian Collins "ratted" the FAI out. They are comparable, but as TC says we have to put up with this poppycock every year; our celebration of failure was a once-off.

Roll on 2022...

I hope the FAI though as you say, take it on the chin and just go "oops". Watching Theresa May getting worked up about this in the Commons was the most unbelievable thing when you consider the absolute state of the country she is in charge of at present both politically and economically.

"Let's stir the masses against this perfidious foreign denial of our rights as Britons to wear the Poppy with pride. And let's all ignore the sh1it-show that I haven't a clue what I'm doing with, that is Brexit."

Squirming establishment Brits are my favourite. Watching the HC judgement filter through yesterday was the best. Let it continue.
    my kids' Irish passports arrived today. Nothing like a surge towards fascism to motivate me to stop prevaricating.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post

i reckon England will beat them to it.

26. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast