Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 LOI Champions

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

2016 LOI Champions

Not as close as last season but just as hard earned in very different circumstances.
    3 in a row is special, a very special achievement for Dundalk.
    As most everybody is aware this team was not bankrolled, rose from the gutter to being the best team in the land in no time, playing good football and an inspiration for other clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Don't tell Cork till after tomorrow lads ,cheers!!!!!!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Congrats Dundork.

Easily the best team in LOI for the last few years.

Probably the best LOI team ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Well done Dundalk - well deserved!

I think with out doubt their are the best ever LOI team!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Second all that.

Congrats Dundalk
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

6. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Well done Dundalk. Unbelievable the way they kept going.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Not as close as last season but just as hard earned in very different circumstances.
    3 in a row is special, a very special achievement for Dundalk.
    As most everybody is aware this team was not bankrolled, rose from the gutter to being the best team in the land in no time, playing good football and an inspiration for other clubs.
    are you taking the pi$$, or just not very well informed.
    They are the 3 in a row champions precisely because they were bankrolled..
    do you think the likes of horgan, finn et al went to dundalk because of their wonderful playing surface? they went because of good contracts.
    i've no issue with that whatsoeve by the way, but its folly to think otherwise

fair play to dundalk on their sucess- its well deserved.
    they have redefined the way to win the league , with fitness, nutrition and professional attitude being uppermost in their players mindset.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    do you think the likes of horgan, finn et al went to dundalk because of their wonderful playing surface? they went because of good contracts.

Agree with this. And that's not to diminish Dundalks achievement in any way.The simple fact is no team wins the league without being bankrolled, even in our cash strapped league. What Dundalk have done well is push on after the first title win and strengthen the squad, something Pats failed to do after we won it, sadly. We can only look on jealously now and hope that our turn will come again. What Dundalk are achieving in Europe though is genuinely unprecedented and could be a real game changer for the league. The rest of us will just have to try harder to compete, on and off the pitch.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    What Dundalk are achieving in Europe though is genuinely unprecedented and could be a real game changer for the league. The rest of us will just have to try harder to compete, on and off the pitch.
    While the knockout format of Europa League qualifying is difficult, is it beyond Cork City to beat the likes of Genk to make the playoffs in the next few years? It seems if Stephen Kenny was starting out in ELQ1, he'd set a clear target of making the group stage.

Back on topic: Congratulations Dundalk! Absolutely fantastic and fully deserved. League champions for the league to be proud of!
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Congrats to Dundalk. Their achievement is all the more remarkable given the fixture congestion they've had to deal with over the last number of weeks. I've been following the League of Ireland for 25 years and for me they are the best team I've ever seen. What is incredible, is they look like they aren't done yet. Who would bet against them setting the bar even higher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    No point in having a few quid if you're not going to spend it and spend it wisely which is what we've done
    Just A wee break from the celebrations here in OP to let everyone know we're CHAMPIONS AGAIN and we'll be back next year to go for 4 in a row! up da town & fu*k the begrudgers.
    Town Town Town

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    While the knockout format of Europa League qualifying is difficult, is it beyond Cork City to beat the likes of Genk to make the playoffs in the next few years? It seems if Stephen Kenny was starting out in ELQ1, he'd set a clear target of making the group stage.

Back on topic: Congratulations Dundalk! Absolutely fantastic and fully deserved. League champions for the league to be proud of!
    I really don't know what you have against current loi sides in European competitonbut it is folly to think even at ELQ1 stage that you can path your way to the groups. Even at CLQ3 level where of you lose you fall into EL playoff stage.

In relation to placid casuals comment i would prefer to say we got "value for money" rather than bankrolled.

3 in a row really can't believe it. This team just keeps giving us great memories after memories and each time you think back to 4 years ago and helping friends organise table quizzes or poker classic satellites to get a couple of hundred quid to pay someone's wages and realise how far we have come.

I have stopped having any expectations in this team because they keep exceeding it freely and with a cherry on top.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Fantastic achievement by Dundalk and are without doubt for me the best Loi team ever.

What Dundalk must do now is invest in the infrastructure of the club ,starting with the ground,because I personally believe that they will be victims of their own success,I can see Horgan,Gannon and Stephen Kenny himself ending up cross channel before too long and maybe a couple more,no Irish team has ever been recognized in the British media as much as this Dundalk team and with it will come more interest in the players and manager.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post

fair play to dundalk on their sucess- its well deserved.
    they have redefined the way to win the league , with fitness, nutrition and professional attitude being uppermost in their players mindset.
    Do you know what contracts the likes of Horgan have got at Dundalk, above and beyond what they would have gotten at Pats, Cork, Sligo or Shamrock Rovers?
    if you do know then inform us, otherwise I'd assume the players like Horgan have contracts, normal enough top LOI player contracts, but ultimately are players who want to achieve, win stuff and make that extra effort. Have Dundalk spent more than they earned in the last 3 seasons?
    Dundalk are historically parsimonious with players' wages.
    Also what did Dundalk spend on player /manager wages in their first Kenny season where they finished 2nd to Pats? was that season bankrolled by "extra" income? if so then inform.
    Last edited by geysir; 23/10/2016 at 11:51 PM.

17. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well done Dundalk. I thought Cork would finally do it this year but can't really argue the best team didn't win in the end.

19. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Have Dundalk spent more than they earned in the last 3 seasons?
    With the exception of Dundalk this season on account of the Euro windfall, I'd say every LOI club spends more than it earns, significantly so in many cases. There is a benefactor or members fund or bank loan in use at every club, including Dundalk.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well done Dundalk. I thought Cork would finally do it this year but can't really argue the best team didn't win in the end.
    I never felt we would win it tbh.

Congrats Dundalk on yet another league win.

They're fans come on and often have a go at us and Caulfield, but IMO that does their team a huge injustice. We've put up a massive points total again, and they've still cantered to a win.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    It's a great feeling to support a team that have won a third title in a row.

There were so many obstacles to overcome this season and yet the lads have won the title with two games to spare.

The mental strenth of the team was evident once again, not even Doyle gifting a penalty to Bohs was going to stop them last night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    It's a great feeling to support a team that have won a third title in a row.

There were so many obstacles to overcome this season and yet the lads have won the title with two games to spare.

The mental strenth of the team was evident once again, not even Doyle gifting a penalty to Bohs was going to stop them last night.
    Congrats to Dundalk, best team all year. Can't wait for next season now. Withdrawal symptoms setting in already, hopefully the league will start earlier next year and we won't have as long to wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Withdrawal symptoms setting in already, hopefully the league will start earlier next year and we won't have as long to wait.
    Im delighted that our season will run until December and then starts again in mid February. It'll be the shortest off season since we moved to the summer season.

It's a fantastic achievement to win it with 2 games to spare despite the fixture congestion and pressure of all these huge games. The success is all down to Stephen Kenny and I'm going to savour every moment of this and any more success we may get, as we all know how fleeting it is in this league.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast