Page 44 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 1158

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2017

  1. #861
    First Team Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Drogheda (shhhhh!!)
    Posts
    2,225
    Thanks
    622
    Thanked 490 Times in 311 Posts
    Right! So if Dundalk had made the group stages they'd have been earning more as league champions than an Arsenal if they went out same stage with no wins. Dmn that referee and the Boyle penalty decision anyway!! But yeah that figures that the clubs with clout preserve their over inflated cut regardless of perfromance. But then they would be generating the majority of market interest I suppose. Whether it would be fairer to pay them a cut proportionate to specific club's marketability or whether this is sharing the wealth so to speak (excluding us minnows) would be interesting. If the revenue lost in Scotland with the lack of interest due to the loss of the Old Firm is a kind of example, thats what i am getting at - the rest of the SPL clubs would have earned on the back of market interest in just the matches between a couple of clubs.

  2. #862
    Coach Poor Student's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,884
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 64 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Yes playing in the Aviva with 90% support for Celtic would be a sickener, Dundalk supporters would be completely passionately cheering for Dundalk and listening to Irish people cheer for a foreign team is sickening.
    You wouldn't last long supporting UCD in the Premier Division.

  3. #863
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    898
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 62 Times in 49 Posts
    Ah now south siders cheering for rovers over ucd isn't as bad 😀

  4. #864
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    10,904
    Thanks
    3,150
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Derry were still going from reports right to the end, I'd put it down to naivety and inexperience in Europe, not setting up correctly and not being tight enough rather than a lack of what I mentioned in the earlier post.
    Fair enough. Set-piece defending was poor which led to the concession of sloppy goals early on in the first leg and it was an up-hill struggle from then on. Definitely could have managed a more respectable result with a more intelligent and tailored game-plan though. It was far too open.

  5. #865
    Reserves AlanOB's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    626
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
    An analysis piece, comparing the European efforts of Cork City and Dundalk; Cork sorely lack a McEleney: http://bit.ly/2v4j0Cj

  6. #866
    Seasoned Pro El-Pietro's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    2,632
    Thanks
    928
    Thanked 410 Times in 278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Right! So if Dundalk had made the group stages they'd have been earning more as league champions than an Arsenal if they went out same stage with no wins. Dmn that referee and the Boyle penalty decision anyway!! But yeah that figures that the clubs with clout preserve their over inflated cut regardless of perfromance. But then they would be generating the majority of market interest I suppose. Whether it would be fairer to pay them a cut proportionate to specific club's marketability or whether this is sharing the wealth so to speak (excluding us minnows) would be interesting. If the revenue lost in Scotland with the lack of interest due to the loss of the Old Firm is a kind of example, thats what i am getting at - the rest of the SPL clubs would have earned on the back of market interest in just the matches between a couple of clubs.
    No. The prize money was based on the tv money contributed by each country. So English clubs were always gonna get more than Irish clubs.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanOB View Post
    An analysis piece, comparing the European efforts of Cork City and Dundalk; Cork sorely lack a McEleney: http://bit.ly/2v4j0Cj
    People love this guy but hes never performed against us.

  7. #867
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    28,244
    Thanks
    1,111
    Thanked 2,059 Times in 1,277 Posts
    Can anyone explain the Irish Times' match report headline on Cork v AEK for me?


  8. #868
    Seasoned Pro outspoken's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Longford, Ireland
    Posts
    4,551
    Thanks
    1,691
    Thanked 756 Times in 658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    Last night we got a throw in, and like dunleavy did against dundalk recently, it was thrown off one our guys back, not sure who it was. Play carried on against dundalk, but last night a throw was given the other way. Is it frowned upon by foreign refs?
    It's a foul throw simple as. Should be a yellow card too by right. LOI refs haven't a clue

  9. #869
    Seasoned Pro micls's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,286
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 125 Times in 79 Posts
    That's interesting. What makes it a foul throw?

  10. #870
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,697
    Thanks
    691
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Can anyone explain the Irish Times' match report headline on Cork v AEK for me?
    In a bit of a tight spot. A bit like being snookered.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

  11. #871
    Reserves rooster's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
    The Throw-in Law 15
    A throw-in is awarded to the opponents of the player who last touched the ball when the whole of the ball passes over the touchline, on the ground or in the air.A goal cannot be scored directly from a throw-in:• if the ball enters the opponents’ goal – a goal kick is awarded• if the ball enters the thrower’s goal – a corner kick is awarded 1. Procedure At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:• face the field of play• have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touch line• throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play All opponents must stand at least 2 m (2 yds) from the point at which the throw-in is taken.The ball is in play when it enters the field of play. If the ball touches the ground before entering, the throw-in is retaken by the same team from the same position. If the throw-in is not taken correctly it is retaken by the opposing team.If a player, while correctly taking a throw-in, intentionally throws the ball at an opponent in order to play the ball again but neither in a careless nor a reckless manner nor using excessive force, the referee allows play to continue.The thrower must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player

  12. #872
    Seasoned Pro CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,221
    Thanks
    787
    Thanked 507 Times in 328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Can anyone explain the Irish Times' match report headline on Cork v AEK for me?
    Nine ball pool reference possibly.

  13. #873
    Seasoned Pro micls's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,286
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 125 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rooster View Post
    The Throw-in Law 15
    A throw-in is awarded to the opponents of the player who last touched the ball when the whole of the ball passes over the touchline, on the ground or in the air.A goal cannot be scored directly from a throw-in:• if the ball enters the opponents’ goal – a goal kick is awarded• if the ball enters the thrower’s goal – a corner kick is awarded 1. Procedure At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:• face the field of play• have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touch line• throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play All opponents must stand at least 2 m (2 yds) from the point at which the throw-in is taken.The ball is in play when it enters the field of play. If the ball touches the ground before entering, the throw-in is retaken by the same team from the same position. If the throw-in is not taken correctly it is retaken by the opposing team.If a player, while correctly taking a throw-in, intentionally throws the ball at an opponent in order to play the ball again but neither in a careless nor a reckless manner nor using excessive force, the referee allows play to continue.The thrower must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player
    I may be missing something but I don't see how this shows it as being a foul throw? It only mentions throwing the ball at an opponent, not your own player.

  14. #874
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    898
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 62 Times in 49 Posts
    Might be covered under unsporting behaviour ......don't see much wrong myself tbh

  15. #875
    Reserves Calcio Jack's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    650
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 40 Times in 25 Posts
    I assumed when watching it that the ref awarded a 'foul throw' because the player throwing it didn't throw it correctly ... in other words I didn't think it was anything to do with him throwing it off his own player he simply executed the throw badly

  16. #876
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    28,244
    Thanks
    1,111
    Thanked 2,059 Times in 1,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    In a bit of a tight spot. A bit like being snookered.
    Hm. Never heard the term before. Could they not have said "snookered"? Or used a normal term?

    Cheers anyway.

    On the foul throw argument, just throwing (boom boom!) this goal up here.


  17. Thanks From:


  18. #877
    International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Basel (Allschwil)
    Posts
    5,474
    Thanks
    3,897
    Thanked 399 Times in 304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Hm. Never heard the term before. Could they not have said "snookered"? Or used a normal term?

    Cheers anyway.

    On the foul throw argument, just throwing (boom boom!) this goal up here.

    Feck ya P Stu, just got there with the Saunder's goal before me..............

  19. #878
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,003
    Thanks
    3,458
    Thanked 4,757 Times in 3,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Can anyone explain the Irish Times' match report headline on Cork v AEK for me?
    I thought you were querying the 'conceding away goal.' Which of course is irrelevant as it finished 1-0.

  20. #879
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    2,627
    Thanks
    403
    Thanked 263 Times in 198 Posts
    Huge week ahead for all 3 clubs, all obviously need to score away, but all in contention. 1 goal might do it for Dundalk, but I can't see Rosenborg not scoring, Cork need 2 to go through or 1-0 and AET and pens, while Rovers must score 2 and hope to keep a clean sheet. Not easy for any of the teams, Rovers definitely have the hardest task but you just never know, anything can happen.

    For Dundalk, the prize money is probably more important than the actual potential Celtic match as this will rise from current 570k or so to 1.2 M minimum. Just the 'small' matter of getting past Rosenborg first !
    #Dundalk FC 3-in-a-row 2014-2016

  21. #880
    Reserves
    Joined
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Can the European highlights be checked somewhere?

Page 44 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ET: League of Ireland Attendances 2017 - Gameweek 2
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05/03/2017, 4:20 PM
  2. League of Ireland Previews 2017
    By nigel-harps1954 in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03/03/2017, 10:19 PM
  3. ET: League of Ireland Attendances 2017 - Gameweek 1
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26/02/2017, 9:50 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24/02/2017, 8:50 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16/11/2016, 5:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •