Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2017

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    That was very disappointing. I wasn't that impressed by them really. We weren't good enough tonight but I didn't think we would concede either. McCormack was my man of the match tonight thought he was exceptional. It's an uphill struggle now going over there next week but we live in hope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    If Cork score first, its game on again, I would think they still have a chance, but Larnaca definitely odds on now, also got the impression they can up the gears too, but its only 1 goal.

Sloppy one to concede in saying that.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Bitterly disappointing night. Absolutely gutted. They were a willy outfit and we gifted them the goal. I expect us to do better next week but we have too much to do I think.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    A draw probably would have been a fair result. The ref didn't fancy Maguire, I thought. Constantly decided against him. Did he give any free at all for a foul on Maguire? Don't think so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Was at the Rovers game as a neutral.

I thought Shams played well. Just lacked the bit of European experience to see out a result. They played good football and Burke's goal was a gem.

The Czech outfit's 1st and 2nd goals were well worked although overall they weren't that good.

Definitely can see Rovers scoring out there but it's pretty much over as a contest.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    File 13-07-2017, 23 35 39.jpg

If and a big if, Rovers could turn it around, they'd be the seeded side in the 3rd Qualifying Round. They'll be very disappointed now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    to be honest I wouldn't bet against either side progressing, I wouldn't bet on them progressing either, its all still fairly up in the air is what im saying

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Ah lads I think a few of yous were looking at rovers through rose tinted glasses tonight. Don't get me wrong I think they probably played as well as they could have played, scored two good goals and did themselves proud, but the Czechs had that extra bit of quality. Their 2nd goal was an outstanding move. A couple of times during the match they put together moves that you just don't usually see in our league. Burke and Shaw were outstanding, but Matejevski the number 8 for them was excellent. No surprise he played internationally for years.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Thought Maguire could've got himself a penalty around the 90th minute there. Larnaca defender went in for a challenge and Seani could've easily gone down but he rode the challenge and ended up with a corner. He's an honest player but it was definitely an opportunity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Ah lads I think a few of yous were looking at rovers through rose tinted glasses tonight. Don't get me wrong I think they probably played as well as they could have played, scored two good goals and did themselves proud, but the Czechs had that extra bit of quality. Their 2nd goal was an outstanding move. A couple of times during the match they put together moves that you just don't usually see in our league. Burke and Shaw were outstanding, but Matejevski the number 8 for them was excellent. No surprise he played internationally for years.
    They were good but finn and Byrne were through and shot straight at the keeper..if we create chances and actually take them next time we can do it.
    They are favourites obviously but it's still on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    3 teams out of Europe now. Not great.
    It was a disappointing night for the league, but I wouldn't say Cork are out just yet. It wasn't Cork's best performance and AEK defended well, but they didn't look invincible either and if Cork were to snatch the first goal in the away leg, things might get nervy for AEK. Even then, Cork could take the game to penalties if they were only to score one and keep it tight at the back. The ref was a bit frustrating tonight and AEK's goal was an annoying one to concede. There was definitely a penalty there for the taking too if Maguire had gone down at the very end.

Looks like a very tough ask for Rovers, on the other hand, with Mladá Boleslav getting three away goals in Tallaght. I believe Rovers were doing very well though until they conceded. Rovers pretty much have to score two without reply over there or they're out (unless they can win by a goal and outscore the Czechs' away goals tally, which probably isn't very likely either).

Is the third team you're referring to Dundalk or Derry? If it's Dundalk, I'd say Dundalk are still very much in their tie. They definitely have enough in them to score a goal in Norway.

What's good to see at least now is the speed, athleticism, fitness and physicality is no longer missing and therefore ye dont see 3 or 4 0s anymore.
    If Derry's results passed you by, maybe it's best to leave it that way...

Edit: Rovers could also win the second leg 3-2, of course, and go through on penalties, but that's surely an improbability too.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's effectively game over for Rovers with the three goals conceded. Even 2-1 wouldn't have been a disaster but I can't see Rovers scoring three over there, which we'd need assuming they score (which they almost certainly will).

Frustrating as I thought their goal came right when we were looking like we'd taken control of it. Third goal was a sickener, although the first two were just very well worked.

Burke's goal was sensational. If he can keep his head in the right place we won't have him for long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Ref was brutal.

Cork are not as good as dundalk in Europe. Not as savvy or street smart.
    Going down easy and conning the referee is something I thought we had gotten to grips with, with all our experience against Dundalk. But they played that side of it very well. The sneaky nudges and pulls were all well timed too.

They also pressed us well. We looked uncomfortable in possession (unusually) and they forced us long which didn't suit us.

Apart from that, I didn't think they were head and shoulders above us and I wouldn't rule us out. Heat will be our biggest opponent next week. We will have to adapt.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    They were good but finn and Byrne were through and shot straight at the keeper..if we create chances and actually take them next time we can do it.
    They are favourites obviously but it's still on.
    If someone is through that usually means they've a free run at goal with only the keeper to beat. Finn and Byrne managed to get space for a shot, but they were from the edge of the box, think Byrne was actually a bit outside, and they were still defenders back between them and the keeper when they were shooting so they weren't through IMO, they just made space for a shot. In both cases, the keeper saved anyway so the shots weren't good enough. The only real difficult save he had to make was from Shaw's drive toward the top corner. Which was again from outside the box. Shaw and Burke were excellent tho. Shaw is an outstanding target man.

Rovers might indeed score out there, but Mlada Boleslav clearly have attacking movement that's superior to what we see in our league so I expect them to score at least once.

It was a galliant effort in fairness, but resembled a lot of matches between LOI clubs against technically superior outfits. We tried our hardest, played to our strengths with excellent balls up to Shaw but in the end the LOI team succumbed to their greater technical quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    Thought Maguire could've got himself a penalty around the 90th minute there. Larnaca defender went in for a challenge and Seani could've easily gone down but he rode the challenge and ended up with a corner. He's an honest player but it was definitely an opportunity
    It was weird. He was chucking himself on the deck all game and the ref didn't fall for it.

Then a genuine chance came to manufacture a penalty and he doesn't take it. Very unlike Maguire.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Dundalk/Rosenborg will play one of these:

Group 1
    Seeded
    Linfield (NIR) - Celtic (SCO)
    Žilina (SVK) - København (DEN) 1-3
    BATE Borisov (BLR) - Alashkert (ARM) 1-1
    IFK Mariehamn (FIN) - Legia Warszawa (POL) 0-3
    Zrinjski (BIH) - Maribor (SVN) 1-2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Rovers in Pot 2 for EL Draw:

Group 2
    Seeded
    1 Shamrock Rovers (IRL) or Mladá Boleslav (CZE) coefficient 10.135
    2 PAOK (GRE) 35.080
    3 Austria Wien (AUT) 17.070
    4 Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) 26.050
    5 Ferencváros (HUN) or Midtjylland (DEN) 16.300
    6 Athletic Club (ESP) 60.999
    Unseeded
    7 Olimpik Donetsk (UKR) 8.526
    8 Progrès Niederkorn (LUX) or AEL Limassol (CYP) 8.210
    9 Kairat Almaty (KAZ) or Skënderbeu (ALB) 6.825
    10 Dinamo București (ROU) 6.370
    11 Vaduz (LIE) or Odd (NOR) 5.665
    12 Arka Gdynia (POL) 3.950

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    We are in Pot 5:

Group 5
    Seeded
    1 Zenit (RUS) coefficient 87.106
    2 Braga (POR) 37.366
    3 Marseille (FRA) 28.333
    4 Freiburg (GER) 20.899
    5 Sion (SUI) 14.415
    6 Rabotnicki (MKD) or Dinamo Minsk (BLR) 10.975
    Unseeded
    7 Željeznicar (BIH) or AIK (SWE) 9.945
    8 Oostende (BEL) 8.480
    9 Trenčín (SVK) or Bnei Yehuda Tel-Aviv (ISR) 6.850
    10 Cork City (IRL) or AEK Larnaca (CYP) 6.210
    11 Valur Reykjavík (ISL) or Domžale (SVN) 4.125
    12 Liepāja (LVA) or Sūduva (LTU) 2.225

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Thought Larnaca were very cute. They didn't give us an inch of space all night, pressed and harried us. Our midfielders were struggling to get their passes off at time. That plus the clever cynicism was the difference between us.
    Good news. they created nothing. Bad News. Neither did we. Its going to be difficult in Cyprus but all we need is one chance really. Let the ball fall to Seani in the right spot and we're right back in it.
    We need Benno back. McCormack did very well, but Delaney struggled with the man marking job and the two centre backs were switching back and forth all night (at least in the first half right in front of us) and looked very uncomfortable.
    Campion is a donkey. Sadlier has a long way to go to get to the standard of the rest of the team. Griffin might be one of the best players in the league and I can't wait to see him play regularly.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Rovers 3-1 down now.

Cork's result is more than poor; it's worrying for the league.

A touch of "I wasn't at it but..."-itis about this, but the team walking away with the title - and deservedly so - have struggled to do much against a 10-man Estonian side (albeit that they were unbeaten all season) and then nearly threw the game away at home. And now they've gone down to a Cypriot team in pre-season, albeit again that the Cypriot league is solid enough.

But if that's what the dominant force in the league at the moment can do, it doesn't say much about the rest of the league.

We did beat Levadia 6-2 on aggregate, it's hardly that worrying. Larnaca are streets ahead of anyone we've played this year, I've a nagging feeling that even if we did take the lead next week that they've the quality in midfield to really put us to the sword.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast