Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Series 32 (+ catch-up)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Cork responding to the disappointment of losing out on the title in the right way. The Drogs must be licking their lips at the prospect of playing Wexford in the play off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Yay!!
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Congratulations to Finn Harps, though Ollie is probably not counting his chickens yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Apologies to any of the Bohs fans in Oriel Park who had to endure unacceptable behaviour from some idiots in the crowd on the pitch after the game. Instead of celebrating a fantastic achievement, some felt the need to goad and taunt those in the away section .

Embarrassing and unacceptable from people who I wish would just stay away.
    Didn't watch the game so not sure what happened, but we had similar in 2014. Load of Dundalk fans straight over the the away section, many throwing things into our end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Didn't watch the game so not sure what happened, but we had similar in 2014. Load of Dundalk fans straight over the the away section, many throwing things into our end.
    Unfortunately it was very similar and these idiots threw some fireworks in aswell. I really wish they would just stay away if they're going to act like that. I don't understand why they couldn't just celebrate the title win for itself rather than go to goad the Bohs fans.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Congrats to Dundalk ...do RTE actually realise what a disaster Canning is??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Walk in the park for City tonight. Pretty much a perfect night. No new injuries, lots of players got rest. A 27th goal for Maguire and great performances from the younger player. Cian Coleman off the bench at half time, 90 minutes for Conor McCarthy and Ogbene. McCarthy with a header from a corner, Chiedozie with two goals, an assist and won a penalty.
    That led to a great/horrible moment. Sean Maguire was off at half time (rested) so Ian Turner was the designated penalty taker, but Ogbene was on a hattrick. The penalty was in front of the Shed and everyone was screaming for him to take it. Even started booing Turner when he put the ball down and got ready to take it. Eventually Danny Morrissey talked Chedozie into taking it, and explained the situation to Turner. Turner cleary wasn't happy but what could he do.

Unfortunately at this point, the ref started talking to a defender so the whole thing took a couple of minutes. The pressure was building and clearly got to Dozie and he missed it. Well, he put it low and The Wexford keeper saved it.

Still, it was great to get a glimpse of the future. All three of these players have a lot to learn but its great to see them with positive performances.

Danny Morrissey also had a goal disallowed for offside, really good finish at the near post. I thought it was harsh on him, he could do with a bit of good luck.

I'd be a little worried for Wexford going into the play off. We weren't all that good tonight, but everytime we got the ball we looked like scoring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Cracking save by Trevor Cherrie on Soccer Republic there.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Apologies to any of the Bohs fans in Oriel Park who had to endure unacceptable behaviour from some idiots in the crowd on the pitch after the game. Instead of celebrating a fantastic achievement, some felt the need to goad and taunt those in the away section .

Agreed, as mentioned earlier it was similar to the situation after the Cork match at home in Oct 2014. Embarrassing stuff by a minority of morons.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

10. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Sounds like Dundalk has a discipline problem.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Should be a points deduction for flares.

I've always said it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    One for Cork fans, If Caulfield doesn't win the Cup is he is danger of losing his job?
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    One for Cork fans, If Caulfield doesn't win the Cup is he is danger of losing his job?
    No. He has one year left on his deal. I think we won't be looking to renew it until mid way through next year at the earliest though. Probably dependent on how we do in Europe.
    The only thing that could hurt him is crowds. If fans don't believe we can compete for trophies then we could see a drop off next season regardless of how well we are doing.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I was very dismissive of John Caulfield up to this season. He spent a lot of money on the 2015 team and they were poor. However, he realised he was going in the wrong direction and overhauled his team this season. He is showing the capacity to change; he is learning a lot from Stephen Kenny.

He still makes bizarre decisions, playing his best attacking midfielder as a right back, signing and retaining players he has no intention of using (Holohan), resorting to hoofball too readily, overplaying certain players (O'Connor), using the slowest centre half partnership in the league etc.

However, if he improves this team by 10% and Dundalk regress a little next season, he could well be celebrating this time next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I was very dismissive of John Caulfield up to this season. He spent a lot of money on the 2015 team and they were poor. However, he realised he was going in the wrong direction and overhauled his team this season. He is showing the capacity to change; he is learning a lot from Stephen Kenny.

He still makes bizarre decisions, playing his best attacking midfielder as a right back, signing and retaining players he has no intention of using (Holohan), resorting to hoofball too readily, overplaying certain players (O'Connor), using the slowest centre half partnership in the league etc.

However, if he improves this team by 10% and Dundalk regress a little next season, he could well be celebrating this time next year.
    He's in a bit of a funny situation, Cork have obviously massively improved under him. Themselves and Dundalk are miles ahead of everyone else.

He's finished second 3 times to arguably the best team the country has ever seen and brought them to 2 cup finals

So he could could argue there's not much more he can do and Dundalk are just a better team.

BUT he has made some strange decisions in important matches and probably thrown away at least 1 league title with his negativity
    Here on a technicality.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    He's in a bit of a funny situation, Cork have obviously massively improved under him.
    Particularly this season. There is no reason that shouldn't continue.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    He is showing the capacity to change; he is learning a lot from Stephen Kenny.
    Stephen Kenny, the magic manager who gets credit even for the good work of his rivals but the fiasco of the dual contracts with Wellvan simply didn't stick whatsoever.

Truly this man is the son of God.
    Last edited by Mr A; 25/10/2016 at 11:06 AM.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post

I'd be a little worried for Wexford going into the play off. We weren't all that good tonight, but everytime we got the ball we looked like scoring.
    It wasn't ideal, but I would expect only 4 of our players who started last night, to start against Cobh/Drogheda. 2 x 17yr old players, 1 under 19 making debut at Turners Cross and the result was never going our way. The automatic survival route was over after our draw with Harps last week. Last night and next Friday was about avoiding injury and suspension

24. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The frantic nature of the game on Friday night meant it was going to be very hard for Wexford to be at full tilt last night again. I heard Shane Keegan saying at one stage that Wexford hadn't won on a Monday all year. The fixture pile up has been very tough on the part time sides.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    The frantic nature of the game on Friday night meant it was going to be very hard for Wexford to be at full tilt last night again. I heard Shane Keegan saying at one stage that Wexford hadn't won on a Monday all year. The fixture pile up has been very tough on the part time sides.
    I think the midweek games were the biggest culture shock for us. Apart from the fitness and (more importantly) recovery aspect, we had player availability problems. As proud as I am of our amateur club giving it a good go, I personally don't think we could ever compete properly on that basis

I'm not talking about bringing in better players, I would just love to see what we could have achieved with the same squad, but being able to train properly 4-5 days a week

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast