Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts

Sam Allardyce

Gone as England manager.

With a 100% winning record of course.

Who now?! Harry Redknapp is the only similar option, but I think he's burned a number of bridges. There's only four English managers in the Premier League - at Bournemouth, Burnley, Palace and Hull, and even then Mike Phelan is only the Hull caretaker. Steve Bruce would be another option, but none of them really inspire confidence.

So a foreign option, then - but the England job isn't a particularly big draw in world football any more.

Fun times ahead!

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I wonder if they'll throw an improved offer Wenger's way. Giving Southgate a crack at the job properly might also be an option, especially if they win the next few under his caretakership.

Edit: I mean "an option" in a PR sense. Generally speaking I would consider the England manger position one of the worst in international football, a job it's impossible to succeed in to the extent demanded by fans, media and FA.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Hilarious stuff and much more to come.

And wasn't Bruce passed over in favour of Big Sam anyway.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I wonder if they'll throw an improved offer Wenger's way.
    But as manager of a club in the capital city of England, hasn't he shopped abroad more often than any other ? Hasn't be been known to send out sides without any English player in them ? Such stock does he place in the local talent.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer fella, ha, delighted for him

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Should this not be in the Limerick section?

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I was wondering if they'd just suspend him pending investigation and then let him get back to work with a censure in a week or month, but they decided it was just too much.

I wonder is there more stuff to come from the Telegraph - this has been apparently lengthy piece of undercover journalism/investigation by the paper.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    All his cronies on Sky Sports were feeling sorry for him and that he had just made a mistake. Ian Dowie even said "Big Sam will wonder what was he doing there in the first place". Doh! Money of course. €3 million a year apparently wasn't enough for him. I always thought he was a buffoon. Now I am sure of it. All of the 5 or 6 pundits also incidentally went for Hoddle to be the next manager. It's 10 years since he was a manager and I am sure his beliefs on the disabled etc haven't changed. Are they all on the take from Hoddle ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    When this initially broke my suspicions of the English media were immediately triggered. For a long time their tabloid media in particular have had this proprietorial attitude to 'team England' as something they hold in trust for the nation. This seemed to be more of their mischief.

However as it's unfolded (and a source told The Sun it's nowhere near finished unfolding) it's become apparent they've been cooking this up since long before the England gig came on the horizon. He's some numpty. A career that should've ended with him giving a gobsmacked press conference after they've lost to someone or other where he says he's done his best and he doesn't know where there is to go for England from here -instead ends in ignominy.
    Last edited by Lionel Ritchie; 28/09/2016 at 10:26 AM.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    By the way the guy they should give it to is Southgate. He's on the books, he knows the players and is the only England boss to have actually won something in the post-Hendrix era. They won't though. They're currently racking their brains to see what Portugese or Spanish people they know who might be into it.

The other candidate they should consider is the Icelandic assistant manager who aside from qualifying for this years euros has little on his CV beyond masterminding a dicking of England pretty much any time he's come up against them.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Hoddle hasn't had a manager's job in 10 years (he runs an academy in Spain that has helped players like Christy Fagan and Sam Clucas find a route back into professional football) but he's named every time the job comes up, even though players who played under him for England have spoken about not fully respecting him. It's bizarre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    All his cronies on Sky Sports were feeling sorry for him and that he had just made a mistake. Ian Dowie even said "Big Sam will wonder what was he doing there in the first place". Doh! Money of course. €3 million a year apparently wasn't enough for him. I always thought he was a buffoon. Now I am sure of it. All of the 5 or 6 pundits also incidentally went for Hoddle to be the next manager. It's 10 years since he was a manager and I am sure his beliefs on the disabled etc haven't changed. Are they all on the take from Hoddle ?
    Souness actually said last night on TV3 that he thinks Hoddle is the man for the job. I like Souness, but wtf?

Personally I hope Hoddle gets it. It would be a car crash.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    It's not like Hoddle was actually any good when he was England manager, compared to many others, right?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).