Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid week fixtures 27/09

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts

Mid week fixtures 27/09

Looking at soccer republic last night, I'd have thought the result Cork got in Sligo was actually a point gained rather than 2 dropped. It's very unlikely both Dlk and Cork will win all their remaining matches, the 11/10 fixture obviously exempted.

Every point and even goal counts, and they may look back on this as a good point. I remember leaving then Carlisle in late Oct 2014 (2nd last match) very disappointed we 'only' drew 1-1 when in hindsight that was also a good point. Cork may have gone top that weekend by one point, and we needed to win v Cork to win the league, and same would have applied if we'd lost to Bray, however going into the final match unbeaten the week before proved to be very important, as it mentally prepared the team for what they had to do.

Also looking at the remaining fixtures that soccer republic put up last night, there are some very tricky ones for each, both have to go to Pats, Cork have also an away trip to Galway not to mention Dundalk. And we have Rovers away along with that visit to Pats.

Ps shocking reporting in the Irish Star today, they have the Cork v Galway match listed as 'Galway Utd v Cork City, Deacy Park 745 pm', not just listed, the preview also refers to Deacy Park.

Big game in the Brandywell, the winner will have a slight advantage for the final auto Euro spot, 4th spot will also get EL as long as one of the top 3 win the cup.

I think it's fair to say Pats are more focused the cup semi final on Sunday, not sure if Sligo have left it too late to challenge for 4th, I think they have, if they are to have an outside chance, they'll need to win away to Pats tonight, followed by a few more consecutive wins.
    Last edited by oriel; 27/09/2016 at 10:49 AM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Would you call a draw against a team who got pumped 4-0 a few days earlier a point gained?

Well that's basically what happened Dundalk last Tuesday and I doubt many people were calling it a good point.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Sligo are one of those teams though that can be very good or very bad- sometimes in the same game. And teams are sometimes dangerous after shipping a hammering.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Cork drawing with us has taken the league out of their own hands so yes it is most certainly 2 points dropped at this stage of the season

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Would you call a draw against a team who got pumped 4-0 a few days earlier a point gained?
    Is it a point gained against a team who have lost only 2 games out of 14 at home this season, conceding just 9 goals in 14 games?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Cork drawing with us has taken the league out of their own hands so yes it is most certainly 2 points dropped at this stage of the season
    I think this is it.

Cork are too far behind Dundalk to look on any draw as a point gained, even if Dundalk lose on the same night.

A draw in Sligo might be a good result ordinarily (and Sligo have been in good form, the hammering in Bray aside), but that doesn't really apply in Cork's current position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts

Well that's basically what happened Dundalk last Tuesday and I doubt many people were calling it a good point.
    Not after the game on Tuesday. But fans were expressing a different opinion on Saturday after Cork drew in Sligo.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Is it a point gained against a team who have lost only 2 games out of 14 at home this season, conceding just 9 goals in 14 games?
    Yes it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts

Cork were away and were up against a much improved performance by Sligo, that outcome looked like a very fair outcome, I think it was a decent point for them. Dlk were at home against Rovers, same outcome but I think most would agree although Rovers worked hard, given the second half display, it was 2 points dropped by Dundalk.

Huge match tonight for Cork, there will be no argument over points dropped or gained if they fail to win.
    Last edited by oriel; 27/09/2016 at 1:57 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Only proper way to gauge points won or lost is on head to head with your rivals. Overall cork dropping points to sligo is probably points lost as dundalk has picked up 6 out of 6 with them.

Still plenty of games and neither side will collect maximum points in all games .it's still all to play for.
    The week after the semi finals is the key week I feel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Cork were away and were up against a much improved performance by Sligo, that outcome looked like a very fair outcome, I think it was a decent point for them. Dlk were at home against Rovers, same outcome but I think most would agree although Rovers worked hard, given the second half display, it was 2 points dropped by Dundalk.

Huge match tonight for Cork, there will be no argument over points dropped or gained if they fail to win.
    That's my point though. Teams can play well in games but at this stage of the season it's about points and Cork should be beating even a really pumped-up Sligo, ditto Dundalk beating Shamrock Rovers under 8s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    It was without a doubt a disappointing result. I wasn't there and haven't seen Soccer Republic so can't say too much about the performance. It may prove to be valuable, or it may prove to be the end of our season. There's a long way to go still - 8 games each I think? So I think there will be points dropped between the pair of us yet, but at this point, with it in our hands after Rovers doing us a favour, we really needed to kick on.

Its done now, we need to move on and pick up all 3 points tonight.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Well as first halves go, can't ask for much better than a 4-1 lead. More goals to be had in the second half I reckon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Could be a big result for Derry if they beat Shamrock Rovers.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    So the ref makes Pats change from their red home jersey to their white away jersey because it clashes with Rovers navy jersey. Yet here is a picture from about 5 months ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by redobit; 27/09/2016 at 8:34 PM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Great result for Shamrock Rovers. Weird result from Turners Cross. Cork win as expected but ship three goals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Great result for Shamrock Rovers. Weird result from Turners Cross. Cork win as expected but ship three goals.
    Great result from rovers after being 2 nil down. Thank God we got rid of fenlon. Scoring more conceding more bloodied some grest young talent. Sign some decent players for next year clear out some of the dead wood and we are looking good for a better shot next year.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Great to get the win and get a few goals in but conceding 3 is very disappointing really. Could've put a dent in the goal difference

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Strange game tonight. Big news is that John Kavanagh played a small part. Hes missed the bulk of two years, it would be great to get him back for the run in but match fitness is tricky to come by at this time of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Sounded like a cracker of a game. Derry dominated first half, then we scored on the stroke of half time and had all the play in the second. We've had an awful run at the Brandywell so even a draw is something to get excited about, and more importantly we're still in third until we lose in Dundalk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast