Thread: Bohemians return to Phoenix Park in new deal with the FAI

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts

Bohemians return to Phoenix Park in new deal with the FAI

FAI Press release:

SSE Airtricity League club Bohemians are set to return to their historical home, Phoenix Park.

Having struggled to find a permanent home over recent years for their expanding school-boy and Academy section, the FAI have agreed a deal with the club to use the Fifteen Acres facility for the foreseeable future.

In the early days of their existence, Bohemians used to play their matches at Phoenix Park but upon the move to Dalymount Park at the turn of the century, the club ceased using the site.

In recent years, the Leinster Senior League had leased Fifteen Acres but with the financial burden of the site on the league, the FAI stepped in and took over the lease.

Now, Bohemians will now see their school-boy sections play at Fifteen Acres having reached an agreement with the FAI and Bohemians President Matt Devaney believes the deal is integral to the future of the club.

Devaney said: "We needed to have a permanent base from which, we can grow our football club from. To have this on our door-step, it's a god-send for the club.

"We meet the FAI quite regularly and I happened to mention to Richard Fahey (FAI Director of Club Licensing and Facility Development) that we're struggling for pitches as we've doubled the amount of teams we operate over the last few years.

"Richard was able to speak to John Delaney and thankfully, we've been able to get this all important move.

"It's a great time for the under-age football in Ireland and it probably hasn't got the media coverage it's deserved. The changes to the under-age structure are a game-changer for Irish football, anyone in the SSE Airtricity League would acknowledge that."

There are up to 12 pitches that can be used at the facility and Bohemians are set to have their small-sided games (U8-U11) on Saturdays and their 11-a-side matches (U14 and U16) played on a Sunday.

Conor Emerson, the club's Youth Director, believes it is a hugely important step for the entire club and the growth of the under-age section.

Emerson said: "This is an important part of our history as we're rebuilding the youth section of the club.

"The SSE Airtricity League under-age structure is also a huge help to our under-age teams as we've been able to attract a certain standard of player.

"It won't be long until we can offer the full path-way right through to the first-team which is really exciting. Phoenix Park is such a beautiful location which is very much in our locality with 12 full-size pitches so it's ideal for the club to grow its youth section in."

FAI Director of Club Licensing and Facility Development, Richard Fahey said: "We're delighted to help Bohemians and facilitate their move to Phoenix Park.

"It is their historical home but importantly, with the expansion of their youth development and the Academy structures, myself and John Delaney believe it is vital to support their efforts in any way possible.

"We're continuing to look at ways we can help all SSE Airtricity League clubs around the country and it's great to get this deal completed."
    Good news for Bohs. I heard the FAI are looking to set up St Pats with a site in Glasnevin.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    FAI Press release:

Good news for Bohs. I heard the FAI are looking to set up St Pats with a site in Glasnevin.
    Did you steal that line from somewhere? Could have sworn I saw it on the 42

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I tweeted it as well but didn't see it anywhere before I posted it.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I'm in favour of anything that helps the league. This all seems a bit odd though doesn't it? Are the FAI going to provide training facilities for Sligo, Athlone, Harps, Cabinteely etc too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Yeah, our Academy just took out a lease on new training grounds. Will the FAI step in and pay it I wonder?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    I'm in favour of anything that helps the league. This all seems a bit odd though doesn't it? Are the FAI going to provide training facilities for Sligo, Athlone, Harps, Cabinteely etc too?
    "We're continuing to look at ways we can help all SSE Airtricity League clubs around the country and it's great to get this deal completed."
    Maybe not training facilities as such but maybe they are starting to help clubs?
    They have been involved in our move to Glanmire, now this, mention up thread of a move for Pats.

Besides, theres no indication on cost here, it could well be that Bohs are paying for this. Do Harps or Sligo want to train in the Phoenix Park?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Maybe not training facilities as such but maybe they are starting to help clubs?
    They have been involved in our move to Glanmire, now this, mention up thread of a move for Pats.

Besides, theres no indication on cost here, it could well be that Bohs are paying for this. Do Harps or Sligo want to train in the Phoenix Park?
    Have Harps or Sligo been offered the chance to train in Phoenix Park? There's a deafening silence surrounding the FAI and Harps new ground, yet they plod on with projects like this, new Dalymount and groundshare between Bohs/Shels, Glanmire and Cork. It's tough to read about this sort of thing happening and knowing it's over two years since any work was undertaken at Finn Park 2.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Well anyone can use the 15 acres. There's nothing stopping anyone training there...

Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Have Harps or Sligo been offered the chance to train in Phoenix Park? There's a deafening silence surrounding the FAI and Harps new ground, yet they plod on with projects like this, new Dalymount and groundshare between Bohs/Shels, Glanmire and Cork. It's tough to read about this sort of thing happening and knowing it's over two years since any work was undertaken at Finn Park 2.
    To be fair, all we know is that the FAI now lease a large amount of pitches in the Phoenix Park. As far as I can see, there's no suggestion of any other facilities being build there. Fair play to Bohs schoolboy set up but this won't have much effect on the LOI club
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    To be fair, all we know is that the FAI now lease a large amount of pitches in the Phoenix Park. As far as I can see, there's no suggestion of any other facilities being build there. Fair play to Bohs schoolboy set up but this won't have much effect on the LOI club
    Oh I know yeah, but my point is, they jump on all these announcements and declare how they're helping out the clubs with this sort of craic, but there's still a deafening silence surrounding actual projects to benefit the league and the FAI like the new Harps stadium.

Where's the announcement from them to say they're stepping in to help see the stadium finished?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    There's a deafening silence surrounding the FAI and Harps new ground, yet they plod on with projects like this, new Dalymount and groundshare between Bohs/Shels, Glanmire and Cork. It's tough to read about this sort of thing happening and knowing it's over two years since any work was undertaken at Finn Park 2.
    Sure they're absolutely right to plod along with projects like this. Even if there are political hold-ups or whatever at Finn Park they need to be helping all the teams in the league to progress.

The clubs in bigger cities with bigger populations will always benefit more from handouts. It's just a fact of life. They're based in areas with high population density and richer councils who can help them out. I'm was probably the council who originally built those pitches. If that never happened, they wouldn't have ever come into the FAIs possession in the 1st place. Life is unfair sometimes.

In fairness though they helped out Wex Youths earlier in the year too by buying their ground from the receiver.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Oh I know yeah, but my point is, they jump on all these announcements and declare how they're helping out the clubs with this sort of craic, but there's still a deafening silence surrounding actual projects to benefit the league and the FAI like the new Harps stadium.

Where's the announcement from them to say they're stepping in to help see the stadium finished?
    It would be strange if neither the FAI or Bohs wanted to publicise this development

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts

They may have forgotten you're in the Republic and think it's up to the IFA to finish the stadium. Sure the FAI barely even know there's a League. Asking them to remember each participant is wishful thinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I've not said anywhere that it's wrong for them to be publicising these annoucements, my gripe is that the silence is deafening on other projects. Selective process.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

From what I understand the Finn Park situation is a whole fiasco with private developers who don't seem to have the money or will to make good on their promise. The Phoenix Park thing seems an awful lot simpler in that it's council land and they already seem to have a positive relationship in terms of making municipal facilities accessible for football.

I assume the space will be made available for Shels as well anyway, and presumably could be used by Pats as well as they're nearby and Rovers who are split between an undeveloped Roadstone and the AUL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    From what I understand the Finn Park situation is a whole fiasco with private developers who don't seem to have the money or will to make good on their promise. The Phoenix Park thing seems an awful lot simpler in that it's council land and they already seem to have a positive relationship in terms of making municipal facilities accessible for football.

I assume the space will be made available for Shels as well anyway, and presumably could be used by Pats as well as they're nearby and Rovers who are split between an undeveloped Roadstone and the AUL.
    State-owned land, managed by the OPW. #pedanticpat
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

18. Thanks From: