Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New Players for Next Year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    BWA, my point is that most of the good/decent strikers or defenders seem to be tied up at this stage. These were areas we really needed to strengthen. Today we signed three players that were other
    teams back ups / rejects. No marquee signings and not much left to choose from either. Again from a personal viewpoint I didn't think we needed a keeper over other positions. That's why I'm disappointed with these signings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Ok, nobody had used the word thrilled but a lot seem happy with these signings. Are these the players that will get us into Europe like POS said?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LK37oldskool View Post
    BWA, my point is that most of the good/decent strikers or defenders seem to be tied up at this stage. These were areas we really needed to strengthen. Today we signed three players that were other
    teams back ups / rejects. No marquee signings and not much left to choose from either. Again from a personal viewpoint I didn't think we needed a keeper over other positions. That's why I'm disappointed with these signings.
    It has no affect on other positions how do you not get that? We haven't decided to sign Clarke ahead of a striker or midfielder.Tell me whatstriker that has signed for someone else that we could realistically have got?We have 9 players hardly the time to judge strenght ofs quad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Fair enough, yer all happy with today's business, I must be missing something. Hope I'm proved wrong but all I'm saying is those signings don't inspire me. No need to jump down my throat this forum is about opinions.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    So far it's just proving we don't really have the pull of the top 4 or 5 clubs at the moment. I reckon we are heading for a mid table premier squad. We will have some good quality but not enough to really push the top teams over the course of a season.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Well according to Rovers fans Dave O'Connor is just awful, great.
    Rovers fans say everyone is awful - don't mind them. He's a good standard - not the standard you'd need to chase a league but more than good enough in a side looking for mid table. Can play left back and centre half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Fair enough, yer all happy with today's business, I must be missing something. Hope I'm proved wrong but all I'm saying is those signings don't inspire me. No need to jump down my throat this forum is about opinions.
    I haven't jumped down your throat at all you gave your opinion and I started a discussion about it that's the point of forums. I dunno where you are reading we are all happy though.

So far people have said they are happy with Clarke there has been a mixed reaction to Turner and its been wait and see with O'Connor I honestly can't see the posts that lead you to say everyone is happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Ok. I just seem to be on my own here in relation to being very disappointed with our signings. Everyone seems " contented " at least with today's signings. Personally I'm not.
    I think I'll stay away from this post as I think my expectations for this season seem different to most. I thought we'd recruit good quality players is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Ok. I just seem to be on my own here in relation to being very disappointed with our signings. Everyone seems " contented " at least with today's signings. Personally I'm not.
    I think I'll stay away from this post as I think my expectations for this season seem different to most. I thought we'd recruit good quality players is all.
    Our maybe people have reasonable or high expectations but aren't going to judge how well a squad of 9 players are gonna be able to deliver on them. All I'm saying is lets wait and see what the finished squad looks like first for example Turner might not be a very exciting signing but if he is followed by Greene and Clarke signing too then that will be best depth we've had in years in that position.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    If you are one of the best players in the country, would you sign for Limerick FC as we presently stand ? After imploding a season back and delivering a relegation, after a fair bit of bluster about cracking the top spots a season before that after a generation not only outside the top flight, but homeless for most of it. I am sure we are trying to get the players and would like them here but are we in a position where a player who has options at the top sides in Ireland will chose Limerick FC ? That's a big gap to bridge and that breakthrough signing will be key. Not easy though.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Williams, Coughlan and Whitehead just announced also.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Whitehead, Coughlan and Williams sign for next year.

Freddy Hall
    Shane Tracy
    Dave O'Connor
    Paul O'Conor
    Lee J Lynch
    Shane Duggan
    Ian Turner
    Chris Mulhall
    Tony Whitehead
    Garbhan Coughlan
    Robbie Williams

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    If you are one of the best players in the country, would you sign for Limerick FC as we presently stand ? After imploding a season back and delivering a relegation, after a fair bit of bluster about cracking the top spots a season before that after a generation not only outside the top flight, but homeless for most of it. I am sure we are trying to get the players and would like them here but are we in a position where a player who has options at the top sides in Ireland will chose Limerick FC ? That's a big gap to bridge and that breakthrough signing will be key. Not easy though.
    I'd say 90% of players will only think about how good the money is and how likely they are to actually get it each month until the end of the season. After that, whether it's worth it to travel to Limerick (from Dublin or wherever) compared to what they could get closer to home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Does anyone really believe Freddy Hall is a top goalkeeper at Limerick? No harm to you good folks, but I think he's brutal and you've signed one of the better goalkeepers in the league in Brendan Clarke.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    We 100% needed a top goalkeeper delighted with that signing Freddie far to error prone.
    Turner a waste of a weeks wage not premier league level player.
    O connor iv no idea about so can't comment on him it's a start anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Does anyone really believe Freddy Hall is a top goalkeeper at Limerick? No harm to you good folks, but I think he's brutal and you've signed one of the better goalkeepers in the league in Brendan Clarke.
    What ye saw in the playoffs v Limerick is Freddy Hall in a nutshell, very error prone. Not a bad back up keeper tho!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Location is the biggest killer for us, don't get me wrong there are other reasons too but lads just don't want to move too far from Dublin unless we are paying way over what they are worth.
    Still enough out there to make a fairly good squad imo but the standard of signing will need to go up a notch and we still need 4 or 4 top quality signings. Not looking like there are any strikers available in Ireland now so will more than likely have to look in the UK dunno what our contacts are like over there now. Depends who we keep too like I said earlier keep Greene and bringing in Turner and Clarke too is a clear improvement out wide but lose Greene and its not really improving things at cos while Clarke is better than Kenny Turner is not better than Greene. Surprised Paudie and Kelly aren't re-signed yet either.

Squad at the minute
    Goalies: Freddy Hall, Brendan Clarke

Defenders: Shane Tracy, Robbie Williams, Tony Whitehead, Dave O'Connor

Midfielders: Lee J Lynch,Shane Duggan,Paul O Conor, Ian Turner

Strikers: Chris Mulhall, Garbhan Coughlan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Does anyone really believe Freddy Hall is a top goalkeeper at Limerick?
    You're talking about a league where people rate Mark McNulty.

Apart from distribution, Freddie is inferior in every way to what Barry Ryan was.

He is, however, far superior to that Fossets circus we had in goals before him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    I really don't buy into the "We're outside the Pale, it's so hard to sign anyone, wibble wibble" stuff we get every year.

I understand you might have to pay more but it's far easier get the crowds in aswell so it works both ways.

Never did Sligo rovers much harm.

If Martin is hamstrung in the transfer market (and I don't know if he is, maybe he's just terrible at it) then I think a far more likely cause is our chairman's eccentricities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    You're talking about a league where people rate Mark McNulty.

Apart from distribution, Freddie is inferior in every way to what Barry Ryan was.

He is, however, far superior to that Fossets circus we had in goals before him.
    People being Cork fans?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast