Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: New Players for Next Year

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    There does look to be more substance to it this time though, and I don't mind waiting a year or three for the league title so long as we are solid and improving anyhow. Nice steady build with a death grip on it once we get there rather than a boom bust job.

Paudie O'Connor is surely better served trying to be part of this.
    Considering his age you would have thought so. Cream always rises to the top so if he is good enough he will get his chance in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Considering his age you would have thought so. Cream always rises to the top so if he is good enough he will get his chance in the future.
    Martin Russell is definitely not the best manager for a young up and coming defender, Russell wants way too much passing from the backs, something a defender should just whack the ball to safety.
    People will think I'm mad but Kanyuka was a fine defender when he first arrived at Limerick, a no nonsense defender who did the simple things and cleared his lines, Russell tried to coach that out of Kanyuka and you could see he wasn't comfortable tipsy tapping around in front of his own goal, if Russell just left him play his own game Limerick would not have got relegated!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    People will think I'm mad but Kanyuka was a fine defender when he first arrived at Limerick, a no nonsense defender who did the simple things and cleared his lines, Russell tried to coach that out of Kanyuka and you could see he wasn't comfortable tipsy tapping around in front of his own goal, if Russell just left him play his own game Limerick would not have got relegated!
    Don't agree with that at all.

Kanyuka was just rubbish, full stop. His penalties and red card and goals given away all came from him just being rubbish. The goal he have away in Ballybofey had nothing to do with coaching, just poor positioning and decision-making.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Don't agree with that at all.

Kanyuka was just rubbish, full stop. His penalties and red card and goals given away all came from him just being rubbish. The goal he have away in Ballybofey had nothing to do with coaching, just poor positioning and decision-making.
    Ok maybe I am mad but I think Kanyuka did the job first few games, I suppose nothing special but big strong awkward (I don't remember him committing too many fouls earlier on either) he could header and stick a boot in, I definitely remember his fcuk ups towards the end of season as he deteriorated quickly became he was that second or two too slow because all of a sudden he now has to be a "footballer" which he wasn't, sorry but however crap he was when he first arrived he was way way worse all round by seasons end because Russell insisted on him taking a touch, stop and play straight to a teammate, all easy in training I suppose but you could see him losing any bit of confidence he had he should have been used as a big fcuk off no nonsense defender, simple!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Ok maybe I am mad but I think Kanyuka did the job first few games, I suppose nothing special but big strong awkward (I don't remember him committing too many fouls earlier on either) he could header and stick a boot in, I definitely remember his fcuk ups towards the end of season as he deteriorated quickly became he was that second or two too slow because all of a sudden he now has to be a "footballer" which he wasn't, sorry but however crap he was when he first arrived he was way way worse all round by seasons end because Russell insisted on him taking a touch, stop and play straight to a teammate, all easy in training I suppose but you could see him losing any bit of confidence he had he should have been used as a big fcuk off no nonsense defender, simple!

pretty low bar your setting out from to think Kanyuka was anyway good. I rem the night both he and Freddy played against MK Dons and they were given a standing ovation by the fans such was the poor show we had from an unfit Russell team for the first 21 games without a win in our Martin Russell relegation year 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    It might have been a low bar but we did go on an incredible run when he first came into the team and you could definitely see him get progressively worse the more games he played. His first few games he just won headers and cleared the ball, simple defending. Blueblood is right, as soon as he started trying to play any kind of football he went completely downhill and was awful by the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    It might have been a low bar but we did go on an incredible run when he first came into the team and you could definitely see him get progressively worse the more games he played. His first few games he just won headers and cleared the ball, simple defending. Blueblood is right, as soon as he started trying to play any kind of football he went completely downhill and was awful by the end.
    Thank you jofspring I was starting to doubt myself ha ha,
    Anyway back to the original point and that's Paudie would be better off being coached by a different manager who can see how to get the best out of him and not coaching the good stuff out of him.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    But surely a defender who can win headers and hoof the ball is of limited use to a footballing team, as Russell's side always are. It's great having a defender who can deal with a team who lump the ball up or who don't have great forward play, like Rovers under Fenlon, but a guy who does that and then fires the ball up for Dean Clarke to get beaten in the air isn't helping a huge amount. Your ideal would be a guy who has great basics and can pass it out from the back, but those are relatively few at this level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Kanyucka was an abortion and I said so to anyone who would listen about ten minutes into his debut against mk dons. His legs were about three seconds slower than his mind and his mind was about three minutes slower than the average mind. Also he had no bones in his neck which meant he couldn't head the ball.

Watch his performance against Sligo. Dear Lord, just look at it!

Even during the great run we were conceding seven goals a game so I'm not buying this rough diamond Martin ruined stuff. He was a hate crime plain and simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Anyway back to the original point and that's Paudie would be better off being coached by a different manager who can see how to get the best out of him and not coaching the good stuff out of him.
    Paudies technique (among other things) needs to improve about 1000% if he wants to make it across the water.

You could hurl a bag of **** into any bar in central London and it would burst over at least two fellas who are as good with the ball as paudie o connor.

As he is he could probably spoof a career in Ireland like a gavin peers or an alan keane but does anybody really think anyone in the uk would be interested in him?? If so let him know cos he's spent the last three months looking.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Surely somebody asked Martin last night on signings defensive signings more to the point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Apparently 4 trialists to play tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LK37oldskool View Post
    Apparently 4 trialists to play tonight.
    Am I the only one thinking its a bit late in the day to have trialists? I thought we were signing 3 players not bringing in a few trialists a week before the season starts to see how they get on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I suppose if their not from LOI you'd have to look at them in a match setting. By Limerick standards getting players in a week before kick off is a major achievement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LK37oldskool View Post
    I suppose if their not from LOI you'd have to look at them in a match setting. By Limerick standards getting players in a week before kick off is a major achievement.
    Ya I agree you need some level of caution but it's when Pat says we are bringing in 3 quality players that will make us hard to beat and that turns into trialists, you'd get suspicious of their actual quality. Hopefully they are decent cause we will be a very strong team with a good back 4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Ya I agree you need some level of caution but it's when Pat says we are bringing in 3 quality players that will make us hard to beat and that turns into trialists, you'd get suspicious of their actual quality. Hopefully they are decent cause we will be a very strong team with a good back 4.
    Tbf though Tosi was a trialist and if he used properly he is gonna be a top signing.No matter what the quality of a player I think you need to see how he clicks in the team too I know Martin sees that as very important and it has led to anyone you talk to thats been around it commenting on how good a dressing room we have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    But surely a defender who can win headers and hoof the ball is of limited use to a footballing team, as Russell's side always are. It's great having a defender who can deal with a team who lump the ball up or who don't have great forward play, like Rovers under Fenlon, but a guy who does that and then fires the ball up for Dean Clarke to get beaten in the air isn't helping a huge amount. Your ideal would be a guy who has great basics and can pass it out from the back, but those are relatively few at this level.
    Yes these defenders are few in this league anyway and sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks so he shouldn't have been forced to try pass the ball around the back kamikaze style, I'd rather he put the ball out of the ground at times instead of that nail biting stuff that did cost us a lot of goals since 2013 season it's just stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Kanyucka was an abortion and I said so to anyone who would listen about ten minutes into his debut against mk dons.

Watch his performance against Sligo. Dear Lord, just look at it!

Even during the great run we were conceding seven goals a game so I'm not buying this rough diamond Martin ruined stuff. He was a hate crime plain and simple.
    I missed th mk dons game but he didn't look bad for a few league games after that and he was useless by the end of the season because he was told to pass the ball at all costs but he was never that kind of player with us, for the record I don't think Paudie is a fella I like passing around the back either, with some defenders you should know their limits and don't try fore them to do something that will cost the team over and over again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I missed th mk dons game but he didn't look bad for a few league games after that and he was useless by the end of the season because he was told to pass the ball at all costs but he was never that kind of player with us, for the record I don't think Paudie is a fella I like passing around the back either, with some defenders you should know their limits and don't try fore them to do something that will cost the team over and over again!
    I see what you are trying to say but the amount of basic basic stuff he got wrong as a defender was shocking and that is nothing to do with being asked to pass it round the back.Had he cost us goals by a pass being intercepted or taking a bad touch and losing the ball then fair enough but off the top of my head the pen he gave away in Sligo the 2 open goals in the first Harps game and Harps goal in the second Harps game were all awful defending and nothing to do with passing a ball anywhere.I mean I think everyone involved including Martin would have been just fine if he had bust the ball kicking out for touch for that Harps goal instead he made a complete mess of something basic.Had he been dropped for the second Harps game and Paudie played I think we would never have been relegated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Fair enough bluewhitearmy but I honestly think he was good when he first arrived did the basics right but by the end he did nothing right and I think that comes down to nerves or hesitating or something trying to do something that doesn't come naturally,
    anyway some fellas like Paudie don't suite Russell because they're not good enough to play out from the back every time he might learn but in the premier with Limerick could do him more harm than good.

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast