Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin Russell

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I'd bit off your hand for Buckley.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I'd bit off your hand for Buckley.
    A few people have said to me a few months back that he isn't any better than Russell but thats twice now this season that he went in at half time with us on top and came out and dominated us whether that is a managerial thing or just fitness I don't know.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Blimey lads, a lot of assigning automatic success to some other not so great managers above. We had a cracking season, beat 3 premier teams on the way to a league cup final and have been beaten twice by a premier team with better players than us. In fairness like. Only period of time Russell has not been decent was the 1st half of last season when we had no players or money. Talk of getting rid of manager because he might not take us to top 3 or 4 in Premier at this point is misplaced. I've followed us for nearly 30 years and the best I've ever seen was 6th I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldofmarkets View Post
    Blimey lads, a lot of assigning automatic success to some other not so great managers above. We had a cracking season, beat 3 premier teams on the way to a league cup final and have been beaten twice by a premier team with better players than us. In fairness like. Only period of time Russell has not been decent was the 1st half of last season when we had no players or money. Talk of getting rid of manager because he might not take us to top 3 or 4 in Premier at this point is misplaced. I've followed us for nearly 30 years and the best I've ever seen was 6th I think.
    Well considering the chairman of the club has openly said top 4 is the aim I see no reason at all why we shouldn't discuss what would be needed to actually get there player wise and everything else. Where has anyone assigned automatic success btw can you quote the part where someone did?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldofmarkets View Post
    Only period of time Russell has not been decent was the 1st half of last season when we had no players or money.
    This is a very fair point.

I wasn't around when Russell took over from Taylor so didn't see the end of that season, but he was dealt an absolutely horrible hand in the beginning of last season.

Now, without knowing exactly what the situation was, it's hard to know how much better he could have done, and it's hard to know just how much criticism to level at him for last season.

This season he couldn't have done any better than he did in the league - it's exceeded everybody's expectations.
    Last edited by osarusan; 22/09/2016 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    A few people have said to me a few months back that he isn't any better than Russell but thats twice now this season that he went in at half time with us on top and came out and dominated us whether that is a managerial thing or just fitness I don't know.
    Buckley has won 2 league titles, 2 FAI Cups, 2 league cups. Russell has won promotion twice (and been relegated). There's a world of difference between the two managers
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

I wasn't around when Russell took over from Taylor so didn't see the end of that season, but he was dealt an absolutely horrible hand in the beginning of last season.

Now, without knowing exactly what the situation was, it's hard to know how much better he could have done, and it's hard to know just how much criticism to level at him for last season.

This season he couldn't have done any better than he did in the league - it's exceeded everybody's expectations.
    Ya the only time he has done very bad was the start of last season. He has done pretty well other than that. Most managers would have walked at the start of last season. He had his budget cut three times. One of those was after he had spent a few quid on players already which then left him extremely tight to bulk out the squad.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Buckley has won 2 league titles, 2 FAI Cups, 2 league cups. Russell has won promotion twice (and been relegated). There's a world of difference between the two managers
    Oh I think so its others trying to convince me otherwise imo the only argument for a better manager currently in LOI than Bucko is Kenny.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Lads. Does anyone not blame Russell and his ridiculous team selections for us getting relegated last season. Kanyuka!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistinianlad View Post
    Lads. Does anyone not blame Russell and his ridiculous team selections for us getting relegated last season. Kanyuka!!!
    I think pretty much everyone did. People where also saying he had an opportunity to redeem himself this season by bringing us straight back up and he has achieved that. There were plenty of people in pre-season saying the squad wasn't good enough, we would struggle against Drogheda, UCD, Cobh etc.. But in fairness he has delivered on what was expected from him and he has done it in style.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Ya the only time he has done very bad was the start of last season. He has done pretty well other than that. Most managers would have walked at the start of last season. He had his budget cut three times. One of those was after he had spent a few quid on players already which then left him extremely tight to bulk out the squad.
    He has done enough to be given a bit of time next season if he has a proper budget and see what he can do but we really do need to get him someone with a defensive brain. I think its just as unclear how much credit he deserves this year as it is how much blame he deserves for the year before though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    I think pretty much everyone did. People where also saying he had an opportunity to redeem himself this season by bringing us straight back up and he has achieved that. There were plenty of people in pre-season saying the squad wasn't good enough, we would struggle against Drogheda, UCD, Cobh etc.. But in fairness he has delivered on what was expected from him and he has done it in style.
    Tbf those people hadn't a clue the man and everyone else involved in the team should never have worked/played in football again if we hadn't won this league convincingly with what we have.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Russell can keep Limerick up next year but he hasn't the tactical nous to out-think most of the premier Division sides and there is 7 top sides at least.

The defence will be a big problem into the new season and I can't see Russell improving it in a few months

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Its curtains for the russells now I would think. Sean kelly left out, o'conor moved to right back, greene into the center tracy to left back.....so the son can play left wing. Down to ten, 2 0 down subs are made. Mulhall and lee jay off, kelly and garbhan on.....greene and coughlan up front, o'conor to midfield, son somehow remains on. Robbie has had enough and subs himself.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    But will POS really care about some tactical craziness in a dead rubber?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    But will POS really care about some tactical craziness in a dead rubber?
    Well as it isnt gaa i doubt pos will know anything about the beautiful game. But a team losing to Drogheda in front of less then 1000 persons in the markets field next week will focus his and the clubs future aims better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    So are people leaning towards wanting him out now or what? I still kinda wanna give him a budget and see what he can do next season but I'd hate to waste a good budget again if he doesn't fix the problems he clearly has.

My biggest fear is going from football that can be great to watch to hoofball.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    By all accounts the fans weren't too happy with the Cobh match

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistinianlad View Post
    By all accounts the fans weren't too happy with the Cobh match
    I wasn't anyway - we were muck from start to finish. As mentioned above, the subs were baffling.

I don't know just how much of our drop off in performance is down to Russell - maybe he's not pushing the players as much as before now that the league is won, or maybe he's just as ****ed off about it as I was. Either way, it doesn't reflect well on either him or the players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Tonight and Saturday could tell a lot. It's one thing going away from home and not bothering your arse but if they go out tonight and show a lack of effort it could have serious consequences.

I already know two people that have said they aren't bothered going tonight because they have heard about the lack of effort in the last two games.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast