Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shamrock Rovers Investment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    RayWilson is an honourable guy his bone fides our impeccable and well proven as he's the guy that stumped up €220k of his own money during the examinership and that plus the Members funds enabled the club to survive - that at the time gave him a partial ownership of the club - the money was paid back and his ownership removed.

If as you suggest we make €6m - then the club and the structure of the deal means he'd get his €1.5m back and full ownership reverts to the members- if after ten years he's still owed the €1.5m then he retains 50%- however that would also mean most likely it would be worthless in terms of asset value- also correction to my earlier post - he has 4 nominees on a 9 person board.

He may live in Australia but he and his family have been associated with Rovers for over 60 years.

His father was previously a director and Life President of the club and was the main driver behind the instigation of the 400 Club.
    That does make a difference in terms of the members influence!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    The facts are as follows: €1.5m interest free loan over 10 years. If at the end of the term loan not repaid then Ray Wilson takes 50% ownership of Rovers, or put it another way he's putting up €1.5m on the basis of collateral of 50% of nothing.

So either he'll ensure Rovers are successful and he'll get his money back or will fail and lose and is left with 50% of nothing.

This is us a fantastic deal for Rovers and more importantly RW isn't the type of guy that ever fails- he's already got his nominee in as CEO and he also has 5 of his nominees elected to the board of 9.

So time will tell but this is a very positive move as it guarantees major cash injection and has also radically changed both the make of the board and the day to day running/control of the club
    That may be the case but in fairness CJ my question still remains.

Quote Originally Posted by redobit

They will now have a Loan, no Euro money from before, inherited debt and crowds are down!?? Could be lean times in Tallaght.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    What inherited debt?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Also it makes me laugh when people talk about Rovers blowing the European money we got about a million euros back then net AFAIK,
    The money in the Europa league was a pittance compared to now.
    With the money Dundalk have got at this point they should be winning the league for the next 5 years, time will tell I guess
    You're not comparing like with like. You're applying the 2016 position to the 2011 position.

Back in 2011 the money earned by Shams was also unprecedented in terms of the LOI, at that time. No other club had anything like that and I fully expected Shams to go on and dominate the league for years. Look at the position they were in - success on the field, cash in the bank, new stadium, massive new population base to exploit......................all positive.

The accounts for the succeeding years clearly show that not only was the Europa money blown but losses of over €500k were incurred up to 2014. And to add insult to injury the entire capital base has been eroded, hence the investment/bailout. Call it what you want. It doesn't disguise the fact that the club was poorly managed, both on and off the field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
    You're not comparing like with like. You're applying the 2016 position to the 2011 position.

Back in 2011 the money earned by Shams was also unprecedented in terms of the LOI, at that time. No other club had anything like that and I fully expected Shams to go on and dominate the league for years. Look at the position they were in - success on the field, cash in the bank, new stadium, massive new population base to exploit......................all positive.

The accounts for the succeeding years clearly show that not only was the Europa money blown but losses of over €500k were incurred up to 2014. And to add insult to injury the entire capital base has been eroded, hence the investment/bailout. Call it what you want. It doesn't disguise the fact that the club was poorly managed, both on and off the field.
    While I appreciate your concern for Rovers finances I think the approach they have laid out in terms of infrastructure and Academy development is the way to go.
    The 2011 money in relative terms was around 1 million compared to around 7 or 8 this time (depending on what you read) if you think that the playing budgets for LOI teams are 7 or 8 times higher then they were 5 years ago you are wrong. Yes they could have done better but that's sport, if Dundalk get pipped for the league by Cork this year and then lose in the first round of the Europa league next year will that make Kenny a bad manager or make Dundalk a badly managed club ? ? Not in my opinion its Sport sometimes the ball just doesn't break

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    What inherited debt?
    Have a look at the last filed accounts, 2014. The filing of the 2015 accounts is in arrears by a number of months.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    While I appreciate your concern for Rovers finances I think the approach they have laid out in terms of infrastructure and Academy development is the way to go.
    The 2011 money in relative terms was around 1 million compared to around 7 or 8 this time (depending on what you read) if you think that the playing budgets for LOI teams are 7 or 8 times higher then they were 5 years ago you are wrong. Yes they could have done better but that's sport, if Dundalk get pipped for the league by Cork this year and then lose in the first round of the Europa league next year will that make Kenny a bad manager or make Dundalk a badly managed club ? ? Not in my opinion its Sport sometimes the ball just doesn't break
    I am disinterested in Shams finances. I'm just pointing out the position as stated in the accounts, available for all and sundry to read.

The Europa money was c.€1.1m at the time.

I do not think nor did I suggest that the budgets had increased by a multiple of 7 or 8. I simply pointed out that they had a lot of positives that no other club had at that time and well, the rest is history. As to what Dundalk will do, who knows?

A work colleague is a member and he says, in round figures, it's €1m for the academy and €.5m to shore up the day to day running of the club.

This has nothing to do with Stephen Kenny and Dundalk.

The club was poorly managed off the pitch - changing managers, throwing money at problems, running up losses that have now to be dealt with, not commercially exploiting the positive position from 2011........................

The club was poorly managed on the pitch - no major silverware, no European football in 2013 and 2014, a lot of poor signings, big wages......................

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Back in 2011 the money earned by Shams was also unprecedented in terms of the LOI, at that time.
    It was less than the club's budget for the year, maybe the biggest UEFA payout but hardly unprecedented in an era when clubs had borrowed millions on an annual basis.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    It was less than the club's budget for the year, maybe the biggest UEFA payout but hardly unprecedented in an era when clubs had borrowed millions on an annual basis.
    Still trying to down play the position and potential you had in 2011.

Apart from Bohs, who lost the run of themselves, who else borrowed a million or more annually for a number of years?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Why would I bother trying to play it down? I'd say I'm far more aware than you of how the potential was squandered. It still doesn't change the fact that Rovers' entire windfall was the amount that Pat Dolan would have wiped his arse with a couple of years earlier. There certainly was the chance for Rovers to use the money to slowly build up a dominant position in the league, but it was also a small enough amount that it could be seriously dented by one bad season and one bad appointment.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Why would I bother trying to play it down? I'd say I'm far more aware than you of how the potential was squandered. It still doesn't change the fact that Rovers' entire windfall was the amount that Pat Dolan would have wiped his arse with a couple of years earlier. There certainly was the chance for Rovers to use the money to slowly build up a dominant position in the league, but it was also a small enough amount that it could be seriously dented by one bad season and one bad appointment.
    We'll agree to differ but your reference to Pat Dolan has just ruined my appetite.

So back to my question, apart from Bohs, who lost the run of themselves, who else borrowed a million or more annually for a number of years?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    We'll agree to differ but your reference to Pat Dolan has just ruined my appetite.

So back to my question, apart from Bohs, who lost the run of themselves, who else borrowed a million or more annually for a number of years?
    Counting non-refundable loans from owners, Pats, Drogs, Shels and Cork.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Counting non-refundable loans from owners, Pats, Drogs, Shels and Cork.
    I take your point regarding Drogs & Cork. Shels I'm not sure about as they are not required to file accounts. However, as I recall it back then they were shareholder loans rather than borrowings from financial institutions. Hair splitting I know. Not really relevant now as Drogs and Cork are operating under new entities.

Pats on the other hand have sold their soul. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Not a huge amount of cash but in by LOI standards an awful lot of money. The point is that it was always earmarked for the construction of the new training facility. Which the club has now just got a loan to build.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Sometimes the problem with building facilities in Ireland is that not enough use is made of some of them to justify the spend. The redeveloped Pairc Uí Choimh is likely to give a poor return. Is Dublin not well served with gyms, running tracks, astro pitches etc. What about the national sports campus, 3rd level college facilities. I know Crewe Alex did it in England for many years, but a policy of developing youth players to then sell on is difficult to achieve, very risky. Maybe a strategic plan to achieve average gates of 3,000 fans could be a better way to go.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Program yesterday talked a bit about the Roadstone development. The 3G is to be built by Christmas as phase one. Phase two will be the building of a kitchen, changing rooms, a relaxation room and a treatment room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Program yesterday talked a bit about the Roadstone development. The 3G is to be built by Christmas as phase one. Phase two will be the building of a kitchen, changing rooms, a relaxation room and a treatment room.
    Phase three is the hiring of a full-time yoga master.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Phase three is the hiring of a full-time Jedi Master.
    Fixed that for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    That's Phase Five after construction is completed on a spaceship hangar for mypost.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    That's Phase Five after construction is completed on a spaceship hangar for mypost.
    Totally pointless; no direct bus.

22. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast