Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Rogers in Ireland squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
    It was not done with agreement of Wexford Youths and I have that directly from a senior member of staff
    That being true then it's an absolute disgrace. Still, there is literally nothing at all surprises me about the organisation of the league anymore.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    That being true then it's an absolute disgrace. Still, there is literally nothing at all surprises me about the organisation of the league anymore.
    Lack of organisation* fixed that for you

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    One point being overlooked here, is Rogers the best Irish keeper in the LOI at the moment.
    for me anyway Shane Supples better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    It's arguable whether Rogers is the best keeper in the country and I've said jokingly he's about Dundalk's tenth best player. But he has a load of big match experience, this season in particular, and is well integrated into the Ireland set up.

Not sure if the Supple conmments are just a wind up, but he's played 5 games for Bohs and that's the only senior soccer he's played in what 6 or 7 years?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepersBall View Post
    One point being overlooked here, is Rogers the best Irish keeper in the LOI at the moment.
    I haven't seen enough of Supple to come to that conclusion.

O'Neill seems to place a lot of emphasis on playing at a high level. If Dundalk were not competing in European matches against good teams, I doubt Rogers would get a look in. The same would apply to any other keeper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I think there is very little difference between the top 3 or 4 keepers in the league. Personally I think McNulty is better but I watch him almost every week. I've never been overly impressed with Rogers. Delighted hes in the squad though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I haven't seen enough of Supple to come to that conclusion.

O'Neill seems to place a lot of emphasis on playing at a high level. If Dundalk were not competing in European matches against good teams, I doubt Rogers would get a look in. The same would apply to any other keeper.
    I'm a Bohs supporter and I haven't seen enough of Supple to reach that conclusion, yet At the moment Rogers is as good as any in the League in my opinion but cant think of a really top class keeper in the League. I was not surprised Dundalk were linked with Brian Murphy, best keeper I have ever seen in LOI (during his time with Bohs.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    McNulty is the best keeper in the league. Rogers on a par with Clarke, Schlingermann and a few others. All are solid enough with some great saves and some big mistakes in them at all times. Supple may be great and Conor O'Malley has all a keeper needs but lets see if they can manage a season first

None of them are close to the level Brian Murphy was playing at with Bohs in 2008/09
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Not sure if the Supple comments are just a wind up, but he's played 5 games for Bohs and that's the only senior soccer he's played in what 6 or 7 years?
    Yep, but since he's gotten fit it's been as clear as day that he can play at a higher level. Players with that type of quality tend to stand out like sore thumbs at Dalymount park, because there's been so few of them in recent years. Ben Mohamad was another one, who after only a few matches, it was easy to tell he was capable of playing at a higher level.

The saving grace is that Supple had already been abroad and clearly hated it so he's unlikely to move back there again. The only worry would be that Dundalk will snap him up for next season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Not a wind up, i appreciate he hasn't played at senior level for a while, although he got a few games and won an All Ireland as back up with the Dubs if that counts, but as the saying goes, form is temporary class is permanent.
    And Supple is class, different class to most LOI keepers. who while good are at their level, Supple was good enough to play at a clearly higher level and still has what it takes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    No one is saying you're wrong, just that we don't know

FWIW being the sub keeper on a GAA team means absolutely nothing in our sport

13. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Not a wind up, i appreciate he hasn't played at senior level for a while, although he got a few games and won an All Ireland as back up with the Dubs if that counts, but as the saying goes, form is temporary class is permanent.
    And Supple is class, different class to most LOI keepers. who while good are at their level, Supple was good enough to play at a clearly higher level and still has what it takes.
    He played half a season for Ipswich 10 years ago before being replaced - let's not go overboard.

15. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    True I suppose we should get our facts right, and our maths.
    He last played first team for Ipswich in 2009 which is seven years ago not ten
    Last edited by KeepersBall; 10/09/2016 at 11:26 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Eh, he might have played a cup match or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Makes no sense Gary Rogers in the squad as third choice, he will have two other keepers there so makes more sense to bring in a young keeper early 20's for experience and possibly the future, Shane Supple may have done well in england if he had stayed he may have developed further but he didn't, I have seen Supple with Crumlin Utd and he doesn't tick the boxes, credit he has come in at Bohs and done well however he is not at an International level. Lets be hones either is Rogers or Mark McNulty and sadly they won't because if they were they would have shown it by now! Give the younger upcoming players the opportunity, they won't play but will gain valuable experience that could stand to them moving forward!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GC13 View Post
    Makes no sense Gary Rogers in the squad as third choice, he will have two other keepers there so makes more sense to bring in a young keeper early 20's for experience and possibly the future, Shane Supple may have done well in england if he had stayed he may have developed further but he didn't, I have seen Supple with Crumlin Utd and he doesn't tick the boxes, credit he has come in at Bohs and done well however he is not at an International level. Lets be hones either is Rogers or Mark McNulty and sadly they won't because if they were they would have shown it by now! Give the younger upcoming players the opportunity, they won't play but will gain valuable experience that could stand to them moving forward!
    My point wasn't that Supple should be in the international squad, he shouldn't, just that he is in my view the best LOI 'keeper around at the moment.
    The standard of goalkeeping when you dip below the top five in the LOI is pretty dire, and as for the first division, only McGuinness at the Drogs and Freddy Hall at some southern team or other are good enough.
    Drogs initially played Patrick Duncan in goal this season, I think two games was enough for them to realise he wasn't up to it, Athlones keepers are poor so are Cabos, especially the big fella Kelly, Shels play Jack Brady and he's okay but no more than that, certainly not a premier division goalie, Hunt at Cobh is okay as well, I haven't seen UCD or Waterford play so can't comment on their 'keepers.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I haven't seen UCD or Waterford play so can't comment on their 'keepers.
    The lad Waterford had in the other night against us was... not good.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Sava is quality. Rogers is good but old and slower now. Bred as a gah keeper too so bad habits picked up along the way.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GC13 View Post

For the moment it suits as barring Elliot whose been injured there's feck all out there old or experienced enough. Stephen Henderson at Forrest maybe, Forde while a solid keeper is getting on and has lost his place at Millwall and gone on loan to Portsmouth in League two having dropped through the leagues like a stone in the past few years. We have the likes of Ian lawlor whose on loan from Man City at Bury, Kieran O'Hara at Man Utd's u21s and Liam Bossin at Anderlecht; the latter two have just come into the Irish underage setups coming through and hopefully in the next couple of years they can break through and play first team ball at a decent level and will break into the senior setup.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Lawlor's not on loan, he's at Man City and injured.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast