Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fingal Project?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    A Shelbourne + Fingal CoCo collaboration in Swords would be massive for the league. It's the 7th largest town/city in the country and only getting bigger, no League of Ireland team, and it's far enough from the city that there'd be no real competition with any other team.
    This for me is bang on the money. I can't figure out why the likes of Shelbourne don't look into this, especially now given their attendances have fallen to sh!te, their ground has fallen into disrepair, and they're stuck as a mid-table First Division club. They should forget about hanging onto the memories and glory days in Tolka and start fresh out in Swords or even Malahide.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Fingal were meeting with everyone. Don't forget were Bohs new ground was to be.

We should move to Dalymount
    I have forgotten where was Bohs ground going to be!
    Is Dalymount Park the best option for ye? A previous poster has suggested Swords or is that too far away for ye're core support...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Shels have already moved from their traditional home once. As have Rovers, though under different circumstances. Also, I know that Metro North (IF, and I know how big an if that is, it happens - though it is currently in planning) is ten years away but it is going to have a stop in Drumcondra and three in the Swords area.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    This for me is bang on the money. I can't figure out why the likes of Shelbourne don't look into this, especially now given their attendances have fallen to sh!te, their ground has fallen into disrepair, and they're stuck as a mid-table First Division club. They should forget about hanging onto the memories and glory days in Tolka and start fresh out in Swords or even Malahide.
    Yep i've pondered the same thing a few times myself. Or they could even move back to the south side, you know, where shelbourne actually is. As ive mentioned earlier there's a massive population in south dublin and eastern south Dublin who arent served by a LOI club. they might hop on board a storied club with a glittering history. They could look into playing at Donnybrook stadium or Shelbourne greyhound stadium. Both are nice little venues and way better than the dump that Tolka has become. They wouldn't be competing with any other clubs for fans either coz Pats, Bohs and Rovers would be a fair bit away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post

Sporting Fingal was the greatest vanity project in LOI history, they spent stupid sums of money on wages for 3 years for absolutely nothing and the day they ceased to exist was one of the few positives for the LOI since 2011
    I'll see your Sporting Fingal and raise you Dublin City FC. Maybe not in terms of money spent, but certainly in terms of a vanity project.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    It has been years since I've been at Home Farm so memory the place is vague; Is their scope for any sort of development in Whitehall? Even a small 4k place for example in exchange for the lease on Tolka being given up totally. Home Farm would hardly want back in to senior football so Shels are no threat and maybe look to appeal to the old Drumcondra brand?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    The only move that Shels fans generally want is one back to Ringsend.

As mentioned above ground-sharing with Bohs would be a near death sentence (but one I would welcome, even in the interim while we sort out a permanent move) but moving to Swords or Malahide especially with the taint of Fungus about the place is not a goer. We're not really in a position to be choosers but to disregard all that went before (bad and good) is rather incredible a suggestion.

What is a football club but a collection of history?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Maybe a move to Irishtown stadium would be a sensible one for Shels?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    If Shels do move back south of the liffey Bohs would be in a great position to prosper. They would be the only club on the north side, slap back in the centre of the north city.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Lads probably off topic but since we are talking about defunct clubs
    Whatever happened to drumcondra bohs or are they current bohs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Lads probably off topic but since we are talking about defunct clubs
    Whatever happened to drumcondra bohs or are they current bohs?
    Bohemians are Bohemians, Drumcondra so beloved of Dunphy were a separate team, never heard of Drumcondra Bohs?????

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Yep Drumcondra were a separate club - one of the big Dublin clubs back in the day apparently. According to Wikipedia they merged with Home Farm in 1972.

Bohs have always been Bohs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    There's a major opportunity for a club to relocate to the Swords area. I'm sure Fingal County Council would love a modest stadium and club of their own given that SDCC and DCC soon will.
    If a new club wants to join the league they should look at joining the underage leagues.
    The U19 league currently has the 20 LoI clubs competing in it. The U17 league has 19 LoI clubs (minus Galway), Mervue United, Salthill Devon, Monaghan United Cavan FP and Kerry.
    Monaghan/Cavan and Kerry are probably the start of new clubs coming on board. It's usually the way things have started off in the old U21 league and A Championship.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Yep Drumcondra were a separate club - one of the big Dublin clubs back in the day apparently. According to Wikipedia they merged with Home Farm in 1972.

We played the newer version of Drumcondra this yr in the LSC. according to their website its still the original club but they broke away from Home Farm from the merger and went to the LSL instead. Gary Howlett ex Shels is mgr of them!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    I lived on Santry Avenue. So attending my local LOI club involved supporting Sporting Fingal. Politics/economics aside, Sporting Fingal by that third year was starting to form a solid fan base/community which usually came in from Swords. They had initiatives in place with local schools and clubs in and around swords as well. The potential still exists to capitalise on the population centers out that way. Clubs should be built on local identities and theres definitely a distinct Fingal identity once you start getting out past the airport... google maps basically agrees

I have become a bit removed from the LOI (physically since i am based in Austria atm) while I support the LOI as a whole as best i can (esp for example in europe) and I probably lean towards Bohs if any I obv dont have a strong allegiance. How do you propose to gain fans and build that identity and sense of community around clubs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Amazing. 6 LoI clubs in Dublin and there are areas without what they might consider a local LoI club representating that area.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
    I have become a bit removed from the LOI (physically since i am based in Austria atm)
    Austria is a great country. Been to Steirmark a few times and going back there again next month.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Is Harold's Cross an option?I know alteration's might have to be made to the pitch,but both Shels and Irish Greyhound Board are broke so it's seems like a good match
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Amazing. 6 LoI clubs in Dublin and there are areas without what they might consider a local LoI club representating that area.
    Well the borough of Dun Laoighre-Rathdown has 250k souls, and they finally got a LOI team in Cabinteely a couple of years ago, yet still only about 200 ppl turn up for their games so having a club to represent each council may not necessarily guarantee of a big gate. And Cabo are supposed to be v community orientated etc. In fairness tho Cabo probably aren't helped by the fact that they play in Blackrock rather than in Cabinteely itself, and lets face it most LOI fans in DL-Rathdown probably already supports Rovers, Pats, Shels or UCD.

When you look back in time tho maybe there's a good reason why the 4 main LOI clubs to evolve in Dublin were Rovers, Shels, Bohs and Pats. They were spacially positioned v well so that they each represented a side of the city. And none of them were too close to each other so that they competed for fans.
    For most of the last 100 years Dublin was quite a small compact city. (Places like Tallaght, Cabinteely, Swords etc were rural villages out in the countryside.)
    So from the 1920s when the league began up until the 70s approx, Pats would have represented the west side of the city (they were based in the Phoenix park for a brief stage then moved to Inchicore). Rovers were slap back in the centre of the south in Milltown. Bohs have always been right in the middle of the northside, and Shelbourne were located in the east of the city.

Not like the mess we have now where Bohs and Shels are practically next door neighbours, any Shams abandoned their brilliant original location to move out to a suburb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    If the areas around the big smoke aren't being looked after there's not much hope for us in a rural county. The Oscar Traynor Cup it is then in terms of pursuing glory!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post

Hence my question above. Unless Shels can find a process to move back to their origins taking on in some way the Drumcondra (long enough in Tolka to have put down a new set of roots) mantle could be an option in some way. I dont see really how Shels being where they are would have affected Bohs really, it is not as if Shels were playing in front of weekly gates of 5000 who otherwise would have been in Dalymount. I agree that Shels would end up on long term life support if in a Groundshare with Bohs. But the current status quo isnt healthy either so something has to happen11

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast