Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tony Cousins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Ya, that's what they are for, but for balance can we have Marty's side of things?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    820 Posts
    Look lads section O died for one reason and one reason only the numbers aren't there. Even last year flying high in the PD we were getting the same 14-16 lads over there and no matter how hard they tried to sing or booze up before games the noise just didn't add up to much. Same with this talk of the supporters club or section O not running busses. I tried to run one to all the games at the start of the season but I wasn't even getting 3 or 4 names so simply called time on doing it after 4 seasons I think it was. Time to move on and focus on next season should we go down now as many expect.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Football supporters groups have nothing on communist revolutionaries when it comes to splitting on the finest points of doctrine.

Paul Cook might be looking for a job pretty soon , Pompey beat again and 5 adrift after 3 games, prolly best best resourced club in league two. You never know he might be looking for a fixer upper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    Were you there last night? I was, and I attended all home and majority of away games including Wexford last week. There was definitely a change in mood with the fans. I think most fans have accepted that we are as good as relegated. Last night for the first time in a long time I see effort been put in by the team. Cronin gave a start to our new midfielder and he did well for the minutes he played. We were very unlucky to lose as Simon hit the post and had another disallowed for a marginal off side. For the last few minutes Cronin threw our big centre half up front to try and nick a draw, something which TC never did.

We will be playing First Division football next year, we will have a new manager next year and I'm positive that there will be changes at board level regarding agm and hopefully relationships will be patched up between the board and supporters. So there's every reason to be a bit optimistic for next season.
    As I said, I wasn't there last night. And I take your point regarding some moves made by Cronin during the game. I heard about all that. But isn't that what a caretaker manager facing relegation does? Throw the kitchen sink? Try to shake it up? I think we all agree that a change should have been made earlier but it wasn't until now. And we can do nothing about that. But still week after week up until now, Facebook and Foot has been full of negativity. From management, to players, to the board, to the people of the town. Longford is a small town and Longford Town is a small club with a limited reach in terms of fans. If I was someone who didn't go to games, why would I bother, after reading that stuff. In that regard, I'm speaking more about social media, rather than a niche football forum like Foot. The same people who post this stuff then complain about poor attendances and the people of the town not backing the club? Surely you can see my point? This overreaction now is good for no-one but I'd accept it if I hadn't seen all the guff that came beforehand. That's what I mean by it being sickening.
    I generally try to stay away from Town-related stuff online. It does me no good. I'll have to renew my efforts in future.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chickennuggets View Post
    As I said, I wasn't there last night. And I take your point regarding some moves made by Cronin during the game. I heard about all that. But isn't that what a caretaker manager facing relegation does? Throw the kitchen sink? Try to shake it up? I think we all agree that a change should have been made earlier but it wasn't until now. And we can do nothing about that. But still week after week up until now, Facebook and Foot has been full of negativity. From management, to players, to the board, to the people of the town. Longford is a small town and Longford Town is a small club with a limited reach in terms of fans. If I was someone who didn't go to games, why would I bother, after reading that stuff. In that regard, I'm speaking more about social media, rather than a niche football forum like Foot. The same people who post this stuff then complain about poor attendances and the people of the town not backing the club? Surely you can see my point? This overreaction now is good for no-one but I'd accept it if I hadn't seen all the guff that came beforehand. That's what I mean by it being sickening.
    I generally try to stay away from Town-related stuff online. It does me no good. I'll have to renew my efforts in future.
    Fair point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    511 Posts
    The goings on of Section O sounds like some sort of crap(ier) episode of Hollyoaks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I find it humours that the only person so far I have encountered who thinks it’s an overreaction is the very person who wasn’t at the game.

I agree there has been lots of negativity this season but the majority of it is the truth! As the saying go there is no smoke without fire.
    Why should fans stay muzzled or paint everything hunky dory while the simple fact remains, its not! I know personally that id much rather be part of something where I could express my view, regardless positive or negative without it being chastised.

Lastly, this small club mentality is a farce in my opinion. some of the results last season may have flattered us in the league table but why should we not strive to be the best we can be and stop using this term as a cop out.
    Last edited by Mister X; 16/08/2016 at 9:52 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    I think Smithers picked me because of my motivational skills.
    Everyone says they have to work a lot harder when I'm around.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chickennuggets View Post
    Just because there isn't a barrage of drama queen tweets and statuses coming from all people, it doesn't mean they think everything is OK.
    Some people prefer to convey more of their life on social media platforms than others.
    This I'm afraid is the world we live in today and I wish you well in your 'war' against this as somethings unfortunately are just beyond our control
    Last edited by Mister X; 16/08/2016 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    I think Smithers picked me because of my motivational skills.
    Everyone says they have to work a lot harder when I'm around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
    I find it humours that the only person so far I have encountered who thinks it’s an overreaction is the very person who wasn’t at the game.

I agree there has been lots of negativity this season but the majority of it is the truth! As the saying go there is no smoke without fire.
    Why should fans stay muzzled or paint everything hunky dory while the simple fact remains, its not! I know personally that id much rather be part of something where I could express my view, regardless positive or negative without it being chastised.

Lastly, this small club mentality is a farce in my opinion. some of the results last season may have flattered us in the league table but why should we not strive to be the best we can be and stop using this term as a cop out.
    Deleted that post by mistake. Let me try again..

No-one is saying anyone shouldn't be able to express their opinion or have their say. I haven't heard one person say that all season. I think what we could all do without is the dramatics. It sounds like you feel it's an us v them situation, like it's the second Cold War or something. If that's they way you feel, congratulations, you've won. Because there is no opposition. Just because some people don't fill the internet with drama queen posts and statuses, doesn't mean they're happy or OK with things. To think otherwise is just misguided and childish. Is that what you honestly believe? Or what you want to believe because it fits your narrative better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
    Some people prefer to convey more of their life on social media platforms than others.
    This I'm afraid is the world we live in today and I wish you well in your 'war' against this as somethings unfortunately are just beyond our control
    Apologies about the original message being deleted. Genuine mistake. Tried to remember it as well as I could in the next message.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I don't think you understood my Cold War analogy..

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    You'll never forgive him? My god. You'd swear he'd done a Nick Leeson or something instead of banning a drum and only keeping you in the Premier Division for two years with a First Division squad.
    Funnily enough he also kept them in the first division for about two years with a squad that should have walked the first easy, took him 5 years in all...

16. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Funnily enough he also kept them in the first division for about two years with a squad that should have walked the first easy, took him 5 years in all...
    Grranted I wasn't following them week-in, week-out but I don't really think there was any FD winner you could say they had such a better squad than that they should have walked it. There were certainly times when they got themselves in a position where they should have finished it off and didn't though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Folks, get this thread back on topic now or I'll bin it.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Alan Mathews appointed manager according to the Longford Twitter tonight

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    A decent man and a decent manager

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,355 Posts
    He's no Tony Cousins.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    He's no Tony Cousins.
    hes ways classier than Tony Cousins! I always got on well with him and spoke to him over the years whenever he was scoutin for Shels in Longford! I am delighted he has resumed duty with us. I thought it wasnt goin to happen considering the board hasnt changed much in nine years but he must have bein impressed! I would like to see Gary Cronin stay with us as it was Mathews that signed him for us in 05 and he was there for another season after that.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I always got on well with him...
    Not sure this should be one of the official criteria for selecting your new manager.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

26. Thanks From:

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Matthews had success with us before however the cliché never go back to an old lover springs to mind. His record since he left Longford has been very poor considering the calibre of club he has managed and the resources available to him. It will be interesting to see if the mood in the camp picks up with him at the helm. I'm very surprised that he was allowed back considering that his departure from the club was far from amicable

28. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast