Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Fair play to nenagh they have been a breath of fresh air in town this year best footballing side in league in my opinion, boro need to beat aa because I can't see nenagh slipping up against Carew, I taught it was over a few weeks ago maybe not !!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by passandmove View Post
    Fair play to nenagh they have been a breath of fresh air in town this year best footballing side in league in my opinion, boro need to beat aa because I can't see nenagh slipping up against Carew, I taught it was over a few weeks ago maybe not !!
    I agree and I still think they have a chance, along with a lot of teams boro have been inconsistent all season a full strength AA side would give them a game .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Nenagh have absolutely been a breath of fresh air, and it's no coincidence that the two most well-coached sides in the division will battle it out for glory on Sunday morning.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    If u win the league of course it has been a good season but I think with the squad boro have it should have been done weeks ago, beaten in touhy by aa Carew in Lawson didn't get out of town in mfa and went down with a whimper in fai ......well coached maybe well managed not so sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Yeah, there's definitely some validity to the argument that the management side of things could have been better.

One thing I'd pull you up on though is the comment about the squad -- Fairview started the season with the most talent-filled squad on paper did they not? And I would argue that Pike's was at least comparable to 'Boro's, as many on here have continually stated. Carew only lost Tommy Culhane from a title-winning group too.

Sure, they should have it wrapped up by now, but to single them out for underachievement is more than a little bit rich, in my opinion.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Did Carew not lose their most successful manager ever , no culhane no richard Mullins no dillon for the majority of it 4 pretty big influences last year I think you would agree, in my opinion boro had the best squad in town and should have got more out of their season , fairview built a strong squad sure but they are definitely more competitive since Paul took over, pike maybe need to freshen things up but will be very strong again no fear , again al just my opinion!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I absolutely agree that Carew were poleaxed by the loss of their most successful manager ever, yes. And the early-season absences of the likes of Dillon and Mullins were appallingly handled, for sure.

You're also completely entitled to your view that Janesboro had the best squad to begin with. But I do think you're letting Fairview and Pike massively off the hook there, with some woolly platitudes.

It wouldn't be hard for Fairview to improve on the tenure of the previous incumbent, for example. But are they competitive enough, given the resources at the current manager's disposal?

Pike maybe need to freshen things up? What does freshen things up even mean?

This touches on the content of the last few paragraphs of my most recent column, I think. If you're not one of the boys, you're going to be subject to greater criticism. If you are? You can get away with murder.

Just look at coverage of, and commentary surrounding, the champions' dismal efforts this season. Almost complete radio silence.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Trust me I ain't 1 of the boys and I actually taught your piece bout arthlunkard was spot on, Paul is in year 2 of 3 year term and is making progress each season imo, sure I agree m Ahern appointment hasn't gone well poor poor season from Carew,with pike I think they maybe needed to get a few more faces in because it has to be hard to motivate a group who lost an fai final

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Fairview, Boro, Pike, Nenagh all have squads capable of winning the league. It probably does come down to management to separate them when it comes to the crunch. Nenagh clearly have been coached to attack in a certain way but not to defend. Don't see a massive difference between the Boro of 2016/17 and Boro sides of the last few years tho. Would a better coached Janesboro have won the Tuohy? Would a better coached Nenagh have beaten Geraldines? That said Carew could end up with the same number of trophies as the two 'most well coached teams in the league', not a complete disaster then.

I'm gona stick with the Boro for the league. I think with a full team they'll beat Aisling tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treaty Gooner View Post
    Fairview, Boro, Pike, Nenagh all have squads capable of winning the league. It probably does come down to management to separate them when it comes to the crunch. Nenagh clearly have been coached to attack in a certain way but not to defend. Don't see a massive difference between the Boro of 2016/17 and Boro sides of the last few years tho. Would a better coached Janesboro have won the Tuohy? Would a better coached Nenagh have beaten Geraldines? That said Carew could end up with the same number of trophies as the two 'most well coached teams in the league', not a complete disaster then.

I'm gona stick with the Boro for the league. I think with a full team they'll beat Aisling tomorrow.
    Hard to disagree with any of that in fairness.
    50 points will probably win you the league this season, probably wouldn't have the last few seasons. Has the league got more competitive? Or have the top teams fallen back to the chasing pack? No right or wrong answer, everybody sees it differently from their own point of view and alligence, that's football. Anyway whoever has the trophy in their hands come Sunday lunch time wouldn't give a f**k what anyone else thinks.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I think a better managed boro would have got more out of their season TG , but I'm with you I think they will get over the line tomorrow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I think they would too. Of the top four they've the best squad for me. Even if all four teams had excellent managers, only one can win it. Doesn't automatically make the other three terribly managed, this is Junior football after all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    The players aren't machines either, e.g. Is it always the managers fault if someone shows up hungover? He can't babysit them. They're junior players being junior players. Nor can you fully blame management for Janesboro not winning the Tuohy. For all the 2 Clarke's have done to win titles for the Boro, they possibly combined to lose them that trophy this year with their red cards.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Ya I just think at this level if you can get a group who will play for u then it becomes easier for them to make sacrifices off the pitch, build a strong a squad as possible and let them go play

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    No fairview didn't start the season with the most talented filled squad, pike and boro have more quality in their squads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    You're right, in my opinion if you measure quality by reputation and medals, both Pike and Boro had better squads on paper than Fairview.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Janesboro 3-2 Aisling Annacotty: ‘Boro claim second title in three years

Massive congratulations to Messrs. Ryan and O'Hanlon; the former of which has moulded the side the latter built into a winning one again.

And the (not quite) final league table...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Thanks for the reports AOB....did not see any games of late so great to read a bit of quality fact and opinion on the vital matchs.congrats to Janesboro,best team always win the league,certainly they probably should have won it earlier.must say Nenagh put in a great effort and the way they are playing could yet win the Lawson cup.in terms of results it was an intriguing league this season.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennycon View Post
    No fairview didn't start the season with the most talented filled squad, pike and boro have more quality in their squads.
    you changed your mind then?a few posts back according to your goodself Janesboro had a squad which was..;very average and not the strongest;so which is it.imo both Pike and Carew had the strongest squads at seasons start.Carew had a double winning squad at the new managers disposal plus he added 5 or 6 new recruits[though i agree Culhane a loss]Pike had an FAI final squad and also added a few new signings there.

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast