Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: PCA League Proposal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    So if cabo draw with Shels this weekend Waterford and cobh draw and (probably least likely) athlone beat ucd the top 6 in the first devision will be covered by 3 points aft er er the first complete round of fixtures....not something anyone would have predicted. ..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Starting to dream of walking from my local to see cabo v rovers next year (in the premier before one if you guys say it )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Will both divisions of 10 be played over 36 games next season?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    That's my understanding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    With the extra 3 games next season will the season be lengthened to accommodate these games or will there be an increase in midweek games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    You don't actually think somebody has thought that far ahead do you?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    What's this nonsense?

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...e-next-season/

Everyone playing each other four times is expected, but have an EL play-off? Or a league split? The best teams should the ones put forward for Europe, and the league system does that. If we have a play-off for the EL spot(s), why not have one for the league winner spot as well?
    The league split idea, everyone playing each other five times, would be pretty horrible as well.

Oh, and there's mention of changes to the FD. Not that FD clubs need concern themselves with the details, the big boys will sort it for them.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I hope we have a normal league, all this play offs things are bull ****.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    With the standard of our refs too someone deserving of a European place based on league position will definitely end up being screwed out of it by a Buttimer.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Not a big plan of playoffs but they are commonplace these days.

The split was, is, and ever shall be a total f**king disaster.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    With the standard of our refs too someone deserving of a European place based on league position will definitely end up being screwed out of it by a Buttimer.
    Fortunately we don't ever have him or his friend Kelly but we have their colleagues who are equally useless
    There's a couple of new refs this season I think ?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Always hated the split idea, regardless of league. A real clumsy way to drum up interest. Not as opposed to the idea of a play-off for the EL or Scottish Challenge Cup admittedly, but generally don't think that's a better idea than just awarding such prizes on the basis of final league position.

Honestly seems like the FAI and PCA are just changing things to seem pro-active. And the continual way that the First Division clubs are being treated remains frustrating.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    So top 6 teams would have an extra 4 games. Issues - additional end of season fixture congestion (group stages of Europe!), some teams could end up having 3 home games versus 1 away for the same opposition, extra match day revenue for top 6 which is unequal to the bottom 4, bottom 4 teams may have a better schedule gap for any end of season FAI Cup final appearance and/or play-off appearances again First Division opposition. Total mess, should be avoiding anything that resembles the shambles of the Belgian league.

A split in the first division due to no relegation would be pointless (fans and even the players won't show up, Asian betting markets who love that...) so we're going to have 8 extra games for fans and players to enjoy in the graveyard.
    Decent players have been leaving the LOI in droves to Intermediate/Junior football due to the crap wages in LOI barely above expenses, easier fixture schedule and less travelling and now first division clubs will have more games, more expenses and how is that going to improve matters trying to keep decent players from dropping out of the LOI football?
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Always hated the split idea, regardless of league. A real clumsy way to drum up interest. Not as opposed to the idea of a play-off for the EL or Scottish Challenge Cup admittedly, but generally don't think that's a better idea than just awarding such prizes on the basis of final league position.

Honestly seems like the FAI and PCA are just changing things to seem pro-active. And the continual way that the First Division clubs are being treated remains frustrating.
    While the PCA is far from perfect I think its unfair to blame them for this.
    They were asked for their thoughts through the clubs on ways to improve the league or ideas as to where the leagues could go in the future.
    Nowhere was it said that the FAI was going to act on those thoughts or ideas this season.
    It seems like the FAI just copied & pasted ideas from a discussion document produced by the PCA.

My own personal view is that the PCA should represent all the League of Ireland clubs.
    After all there's only 20 of them.
    Its not like we have four or five divisions.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Unless the PCA gets its act together it should be disbanded. There is zero transparency and the overall impression is of a poorly organised, shambolic organisation whereby a minority of league clubs are able to make decisions that affect everyone. I would favour FHFC walking away from it TBH. The treatment of D1 clubs by the PCA and FAI is indefensible.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Unless the PCA gets its act together it should be disbanded. There is zero transparency and the overall impression is of a poorly organised, shambolic organisation whereby a minority of league clubs are able to make decisions that affect everyone. I would favour FHFC walking away from it TBH. The treatment of D1 clubs by the PCA and FAI is indefensible.
    I agree that the PCA is far from perfect but at this moment in time its the only show in town.
    As I have said previously I'd rather just one organisation to represent all 20 clubs.
    Some of the reasons put forward as to why its not that way don't hold water with me.

For FHFC or any other club to walk away would be a grave mistake in my mind.
    The League of Ireland has been a complete mess for all the time I have followed it but up to now nothing has been put forward to rectify the situation.
    For most of its life it was run by the clubs themselves & we all know what a disaster that was.
    The FAI took over the management of the league because the clubs themselves couldn't organise a p*** up in a brewery.
    Now its a bit rich for some clubs to all of a sudden to grow a pair when for all those years before they themselves did nothing to improve their situation.
    The PCA is far from perfect but at least its an attempt.
    An imperfect attempt I grant you but at least its better than what went on before which was nothing.

I am led to believe that 1st Div clubs can attend PCA meetings by request whatever that means but that still doesn't give them representation when dealing with the FAI.
    Neither can they become members which makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Incidentally as a matter of interest what did you mean by zero transparency ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Almost Completely agree with Disgruntled re the PCA is a positive and the clubs have forgotten what a shambles they were themselves.
    Don't agree with one representative body for all 20 clubs as the relative standard and ambitions of the clubs is to wide. but its not a religious conviction.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    What is the PCA's mission? How does it operate from week to week? Does it publish its decisions and how they were arrived at? What is their vision for the league? When there was a 'ring around' after the voting impasse on the structure change, who conducted this and how did it operate?

Every impression I have got from talking to people who have insight into how it runs is that it's a shambles. So my attitude is that it's reformed to be representative and transparent, or else toss it and start again. There is zero reason to believe there is a prospect of reform as far as I am concerned. Next year a majority of 6 will be able to make decisions for 20 clubs. That is ridiculous.

If the clubs running the league was a disaster and the FAI being in control was bad because clubs had no voice, we haven't made progress because many clubs still have no voice and a minority can make decisions for the whole league. And that suits those at the FAI that only are interested in the top clubs, giving the opportunity to bask in reflected glory when Europe goes well and ignore the lower end of the league.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Clubs running the league and their failue to see the bigger picture was down to self interest. Where would be the incentive for Cork to change things at the moment when they are averaging above 4000 per game and are romping the league and most clubs have had that spell in the sun. There was also personal ambition where people used LoI clubs as a leg up in to the admin of the game. The PCA is a good thing but it isnt perfect. Maybe there should be some sort of associate membership if they are not allowing full participation of all clubs. There is probably a method to the madness there where the PCA members know that their direction or clout could be diluted by the vastly different different masterplans. I actually dont think there is a huge amount wrong in terms of league structure especially the Premier Division. There does need to be some regionalisation to help the fist division and align non-league season to ease the potential growth of the 1st division numbers. After that it is infrastructure so money, and prizemoney so money, and things like tv revenue and league sponsorship transparency from the FAI so money again, particpation fees waived for 1st division clubs and new entrants to the LoI. Refereeing standards, number of qualified coaches throughout the game(player to coach ratio from 8s to 18s), youth structures, player development are being addressed or can be addressed as a matter of course outside the PCA ie at least some of the responsibility for the wellbeing of the game lies with the national association no matter who is running the elite leagues. The mistakes to me are any proposals of cosmetic changes - mid season splits, 10/12/16 teams, EL play-offs most of which have been tried and changed only for them to be tried again. Being in the bottom half of a mid season split will be as bad as bing in the 1st division for example. Rather than tinkering with the Premier Division now maybe a better course would be to implement changes below LoI to prepare and influence growth of the number of potential senior clubs. These could even be feeder clubs to some extent (think Excelsior in the dutch league). When season have been aligned, league systems in place, underage leagues all running, a serious league wide stadium development plan for those that need it in place. Money issues above dealt with or agreed on then look at the window dressing of play-offs et al. There is an endless list really like minimum staffing levels for club promotion, press officers etc, full and proper implementation of licencing. Concerted effort of the FAI to address the perception of LoI with schoolboys/junior football and on and on lol

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Next year a majority of 6 will be able to make decisions for 20 clubs
    This is where you are going wrong. The PCA don't make decisions about the League. The FAI are very good at giving fans/the first division clubs that impression though.

The PCA didn't decide on a ten team league, the FAI did, but the FAI let everyone believe that the PCA vote was what swung the decision.

The PCA is just clubs talking, sharing information, working together and trying to talk to the FAI as one. The league is better off with it than without it. I'd prefer if all 20 clubs were involved but better this than nothing at all.

26. Thanks From:

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast