Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest game of the season...Who starts?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts

Biggest game of the season...Who starts?

Hasn't been a new game thread on here for a while but this is without doubt the biggest game of the season. Lose or even draw and I would suggest it's all over for us. A few decisions for cousins to make with Don and Kev likely to return.

Persoanally I think the first change that should be made is Skinner coming in for Coulter. Wexford are going to throw so many long balls at us and we can't afford a keeper who is glued to his line and afraid to communicate like Coulter has been in the last few games. However I don't see cousins making this change as he's always proven to be stubborn even when a decision he's made is clearly the wrong one.

I'm extremely interested to know why Tristan hasn't even been on the bench of late, he was our best defender in the games he played despite his age while our so called captain has been atrocious. Yann has looked decent since coming in and the only other decision will be whether he sticks with Rhys or goes for Flynn. Flynn has had an awful season but I think his experience and heading ability could be key in this game, I'd go with him, that's no slight or Rhys I just feel Flynn would be more suited to this style of match.

In midfield Gannon and Hughes can not start together. The new French player needs to start and given Gannon's ability at picking a pass over the top I'd start him ahead of Hughes if Kevin O'Connor doesn't start that is. O'Connor and this new French guy could actually be the answer to our problems In midfield.

Up front as well as Don has been playing in recent games Sully Andy Dsane were excellent in Tallaght and should start together again. Don, Duffy and Rhys off the bench would be explosive to say the least.

No more injury excuses, no suspensions. A full squad to chose from. Cousins has always said once this happened we would start to pick up results, let's see if that's the case. It's do or die.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    To be honest, Kevin O'Connor and Gaius Makouta, the new French midfielder, should 100% start together in midfield. Kev will do the passing, and Gaius will do the killing.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    If we are beaten in Wexford, is there any chance that the board will then relieve Cousins of his duties and bring a new manager in for the last series of games, so as to get used to the squad and make plans for next year in the First Division. Or is that too forward thinking and logical for our board to consider.
    The truth fears no questions...
    It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who's been swimming naked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    If we are beaten in Wexford, is there any chance that the board will then relieve Cousins of his duties and bring a new manager in for the last series of games, so as to get used to the squad and make plans for next year in the First Division. Or is that too forward thinking and logical for our board to consider.
    Think it's clear that we are stuck with him for the season now and there's a theory among some fans starting to be spoke about that even if we are relegated he might not go. Think about it he's won the first division before and he claims to be good with young players (he's not at all), plus his links to players abroad and at rovers. He will use them lines to try and keep his job. Then again I could be totally wrong and they could sack him or he might walk after tonight but I doubt it. Anyway I think we will do it tonight. We've loads of pace and power up front with Don Dsane Sully and Duffy. Keeping them out at the other end will again be our problem but with Flynn back and Yann playing well we have more options. Big night for the club. Cmon de town.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    You seem very sure of yourself that Flynn will be playing do you know the team if so post it. I doubt Flynn will play Cousins never makes only 1 change

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Never said anywhere he will start I said cousins has options in that position now with Flynn, Rhys and Yann. Personally I'd bring Flynn in as I said in the opening post but I'm not sure that cousins will. Not sure what player he was referring to in his interview last week when he said they didn't show enough desire to defend the corner but you'd imagine who ever that was will be dropped given those comments

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Never said anywhere he will start I said cousins has options in that position now with Flynn, Rhys and Yann. Personally I'd bring Flynn in as I said in the opening post but I'm not sure that cousins will. Not sure what player he was referring to in his interview last week when he said they didn't show enough desire to defend the corner but you'd imagine who ever that was will be dropped given those comments
    Sorry I missed read Flynn back as being back in the team my bad

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    That's it, I'm done. Unless there is a major overhaul done in the off season I will not be gracing CCS next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    That's it, I'm done. Unless there is a major overhaul done in the off season I will not be gracing CCS next year.
    You called it in pre-season, sorry for doubting you. A lot of us younger supporters highlighted all these issues at the club last season but everyone was blinded by the 6th place finish. All that done was paper over the many deep cracks on and off the pitch. I have a feeling you won't be the only one staying away. Be lucky to get 50 people out there Monday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    That was a ****ing joke last night. Considering that every man and his dog knew that last night's game was do or die for the club, the lack of ****s given by most on the pitch was nothing short of disgraceful. I can excuse a lack of quality, and my god do we have a lack of quality in that squad, but I simply cannot excuse a lack of effort.

Davy and Eddie tried up top, but the standard of service they were receiving was almost non existent. We're lacking strength all over the pitch but it's the midfield that's getting to me the most. Mark Hughes and Philip Gannon must know some bad tales about Tony Cousins that they're keeping quiet for him, as that's the only reason I can think of as to why they're still playing almost every week. Kevin O'Connor's legs are gone but as soon as he came on last night he at least put his foot in and tried to make things happen. Gannon and Hughes have been ****e all season, have barely made a tackle between them all season, have barely scored a goal, have barely got an assist and yet here we are in the final series of games and they're STILL starting most weeks. The new French lad Makouta did well when he came on in Tallaght last week and was surely worth a shot from the start last night because he can't be any worse than those two clowns starting ahead of him.

Don Cowan is a fraud. He's done **** all since we got promoted except be injured or be ****e when he is playing. Kaleem Simon is too weak, can do one thing great during a game but it's usually followed by 3 things that are not so great. Big Yann is a danger. Havo is a good lad but isn't good enough for this level, whether it be at full back or centre half. Powell is a spoofer. No addition. Jamie has ability but every last drop of confidence has been drained from him over the last 2 seasons. Coulter isn't exactly an upgrade on Skinner. I could go on, but there's probably no point.

This season has been a shambles since the beginning. Almost everything from top to bottom has been handled poorly, and unsurprisingly, it's going to end up with us back where we deserve to be in the graveyard. I respect and appreciate what Tony Cousins has done for the club since his arrival. We were not in a healthy state when he came in and he had built us up to be on a solid footing both on and off the pitch over the last number of years. However, his refusal to walk away this season will leave a bitter taste, and has possibly ruined his own managerial reputation for good to boot. Getting rid of him halfway through the season would have been a costly exercise for the club in the short term, but looking back I'm sure they might reconsider their decision to stick by him if given another chance to make the call.

I'm just glad we won on the opening day.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    That was a ****ing joke last night. Considering that every man and his dog knew that last night's game was do or die for the club, the lack of ****s given by most on the pitch was nothing short of disgraceful. I can excuse a lack of quality, and my god do we have a lack of quality in that squad, but I simply cannot excuse a lack of effort.

Davy and Eddie tried up top, but the standard of service they were receiving was almost non existent. We're lacking strength all over the pitch but it's the midfield that's getting to me the most. Mark Hughes and Philip Gannon must know some bad tales about Tony Cousins that they're keeping quiet for him, as that's the only reason I can think of as to why they're still playing almost every week. Kevin O'Connor's legs are gone but as soon as he came on last night he at least put his foot in and tried to make things happen. Gannon and Hughes have been ****e all season, have barely made a tackle between them all season, have barely scored a goal, have barely got an assist and yet here we are in the final series of games and they're STILL starting most weeks. The new French lad Makouta did well when he came on in Tallaght last week and was surely worth a shot from the start last night because he can't be any worse than those two clowns starting ahead of him.

Don Cowan is a fraud. He's done **** all since we got promoted except be injured or be ****e when he is playing. Kaleem Simon is too weak, can do one thing great during a game but it's usually followed by 3 things that are not so great. Big Yann is a danger. Havo is a good lad but isn't good enough for this level, whether it be at full back or centre half. Powell is a spoofer. No addition. Jamie has ability but every last drop of confidence has been drained from him over the last 2 seasons. Coulter isn't exactly an upgrade on Skinner. I could go on, but there's probably no point.

This season has been a shambles since the beginning. Almost everything from top to bottom has been handled poorly, and unsurprisingly, it's going to end up with us back where we deserve to be in the graveyard. I respect and appreciate what Tony Cousins has done for the club since his arrival. We were not in a healthy state when he came in and he had built us up to be on a solid footing both on and off the pitch over the last number of years. However, his refusal to walk away this season will leave a bitter taste, and has possibly ruined his own managerial reputation for good to boot. Getting rid of him halfway through the season would have been a costly exercise for the club in the short term, but looking back I'm sure they might reconsider their decision to stick by him if given another chance to make the call.

I'm just glad we won on the opening day.
    Well said

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    The reason why Gannon and Hughes are starting is cos they are yes men. Cousins doesn't like a presence in the dressing room that might undermine his lack of tactics. Hence why I think Rice and Salmon were moved on. For the second half of last season and all this season for the first time in my life I didn't feel like going out to the CCS cos I was not enjoying it. And I can tell you, I've been around when Cleary and O'Connor were in charge so what does that tell you about the last 18 months.

It's always somewhere in the back of my mind what I would do if the club went out of the league. I dreaded the thought of it. Now, after all this I wouldn't be bothered.

To to finish off, it would not surprise me if Munnelly pulled the plug. He hasn't been around in months which is odd. I've also heard he was not happy that Cousins was kept on this season. Will be a very interesting off season.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Cousins has resigned. Just announced.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    The reason why Gannon and Hughes are starting is cos they are yes men. Cousins doesn't like a presence in the dressing room that might undermine his lack of tactics. Hence why I think Rice and Salmon were moved on. For the second half of last season and all this season for the first time in my life I didn't feel like going out to the CCS cos I was not enjoying it. And I can tell you, I've been around when Cleary and O'Connor were in charge so what does that tell you about the last 18 months.

It's always somewhere in the back of my mind what I would do if the club went out of the league. I dreaded the thought of it. Now, after all this I wouldn't be bothered.

To to finish off, it would not surprise me if Munnelly pulled the plug. He hasn't been around in months which is odd. I've also heard he was not happy that Cousins was kept on this season. Will be a very interesting off season.
    I feel exactly the same as you. It's horrible isn't it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Cousins has resigned. Just announced.
    Too little to late. Club didn't have the bottle to sack him months ago. Least we can build for next season now and try do what Limerick have

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Yeah that's about all we can hope for now. Try and bring back a bit of positivity and build for next year. Anyone got any thoughts on who the new man should be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    I don't know who's out there. Couldn't see Nutsy wanting it, even to the end of the season. Alan Mathews seems like an easy short-term fix.

Beyond that, I'd like a young manager who might have some new ideas. I'd like to see Vinny given another shot - I know he wants to be a No. 1 at some point but Dundalk at the moment is a tough set-up to walk away from.
    Marco Tardelli's red and black,
    Red and black, red and black.
    Marco Tardelli's red and black,
    He hates Athlone.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Yeah if Vinny wanted it I'd give him a shot. He's bound to have learned a lot since his last spell but I can't see him leaving Dundalk for another while.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    trevor croly or liam kelly perhaps.. think the club should change their opening line to GLAD instead of SAD. It was a shambles last nite. Noone blocking the long throws or blocking the corners. too many unforced errors. lack of passion. lack of common sense. then the players standing around for five minutes doing nothin before youths came onto the pitch.

I am so glad and happy Cousins is gone. Look he had his time and we thank him for keeping us up last year but the club were inept in making the change earlier this season and they have to accept blame for this.

Now with Cousins gone keep Cronin till end of season and accept relegation and then concentrate on gettin a quality manager and have a clean sweep of the club staff and players. Maybe with Cousins gone maybe the split between our fans might repair itself and Section O might resume its previous greatness but it will take a lot of work from both sides including the club.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I'm not sure what's going to be gained from keeping Gary Cronin in charge for the rest of the season if we can get someone in place who can improve things in the long run. Tony Cousins was saying himself on Shannonside that he felt the players need some fresh ideas and a fresh outlook and I don't think Gary is going to provide that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast