Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts

Rio

Not long now.

The Olympics of 2016 will come with all the usual reasons for cynicism. The unfinished construction. The Irish selection disputes (this year definitely no exception in that regard). And of course the drugs.

For all that I'm really looking forward to it. Everyone will be hoping the boxers do their thing but I would love Annalise Murphy to come home with a medal. The way she missed out in London couldn't have been harder for her to take
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    First Olympics I genuinely couldn't give a crap about. Outside of the Irish contenders even I can't even consider watching it at all. Even then boxing is gonna be a horror show with how everything has goner and now the allegations of fixing.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Do you think that will change once you see the tricolour and the cauldron is lit?

Opening ceremonies are usually a yawn fest but the Olympic one is always a good show. I really hope Pele doesn'the light it. He never played in the Olympics. The marathon runner who that mad priest attacked in Athens would be a much better choice for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I never watch opening ceremonies.

As soon as the first fight starts I might start caring. We'll see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    You missed a hell of a good show in London in that case. Credit where it's due. They needed an Irishman as the star of the show mind you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    You missed a hell of a good show in London in that case. Credit where it's due. They needed an Irishman as the star of the show mind you.
    Apparently I did. But I got over it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Who was that?

It was ok in London, visually very good, but i felt they could have done much better with the music, its London ffs

China was a joke, all fake

I did like the Greek ceremony, a lot of history, but the Aussie one for me was the best.....fun and they did what i felt London should have done with the music, have a concert, get the people in the crowd going.

As for Rio, like Bonnie I might not even bother this year with the Olympics.....more to do with the Euros and how drained i felt after all that, not sure i could spend half my day/night watching more sport....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Who was that?
    Kenny Branagh.

I'd expect this one to be the Mardi Gras in a stadium. Can't really go too far wrong with that. Should be spectacular.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    7 years on this forum and I still think that when you guys are chatting it's one of ye talking to yourselves.

11. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Perhaps if bennocelt went back to being Billsthoughts you'd be less confused.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Perhaps if bennocelt went back to being Billsthoughts you'd be less confused.
    Even changing their names tut tut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    What really grinds my gears (to borrow a phrase) about the Olympics is people will watch even if they know absolutely nothing about the sport. Before long they become an "expert" on the sport for about a week and a few days they forget about it. Also, when they show "sports" like shooting, archery, diving, fencing, trampolining for example, who actually watches it and wants to watch it cause those "sports" are extremely rarely or never shown on TV in the in-between years so the general public would have absolutely no clue about the competitors or the rules but just watch to see their fellow countrymen try to win a medal even though they are bamboozled to why someone won or lost.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I wonder who is RTE's expert on trampolining?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Annalise took the bullet in the first race in the Laser, but picked the wrong side up the first beat in the second (and didn't help herself by being very slow off the line), and finished 14th. She's lying 4th at the moment, with 2 out of 10 races done.

Finn Lynch is looking like he's set for solid mid fleet mediocrity in the men's competition. It's his first Games though, so mediocrity is probably grand!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    What really grinds my gears (to borrow a phrase) about the Olympics is people will watch even if they know absolutely nothing about the sport. Before long they become an "expert" on the sport for about a week and a few days they forget about it. Also, when they show "sports" like shooting, archery, diving, fencing, trampolining for example, who actually watches it and wants to watch it cause those "sports" are extremely rarely or never shown on TV in the in-between years so the general public would have absolutely no clue about the competitors or the rules but just watch to see their fellow countrymen try to win a medal even though they are bamboozled to why someone won or lost.
    That's one of my favourite parts of the Olympics. Finding a sport you know next to nothing about and trying to learn as much as you can about it so you can follow an Irish athlete, or just enjoy the spectacle. Especially if there is a good commentator (or a knowledgeable mate) to explain things, I think it's great. I almost never watch boxing outside of the Olympics for example. Never watch Judo. No interest in cross-country horse racing. I've watched all of those events and more this time and really enjoyed them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    That's one of my favourite parts of the Olympics. Finding a sport you know next to nothing about and trying to learn as much as you can about it so you can follow an Irish athlete, or just enjoy the spectacle. Especially if there is a good commentator (or a knowledgeable mate) to explain things, I think it's great.
    The opposite can be true though. The guy RTÉ have on the basketball should be shot in the mouth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    The opposite can be true though. The guy RTÉ have on the basketball should be shot in the mouth.
    True. Most of the BBC commentators seem to be okay though. Or at least a bit better at having an "expert" to turn to for things the main chatterer doesn't understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    True. Most of the BBC commentators seem to be okay though. Or at least a bit better at having an "expert" to turn to for things the main chatterer doesn't understand
    The best Olympic sports are the ones where you need virtually no knowledge. Weightlifting is good for this.

"That last Russian lad lifted 175kg. This Romanian guy is trying 176 to beat him. Lets see if he can manage it...

...Nope, too much for him. Now, this next Korean lad is going for 178. Lets see if he can manage it...

...etc"

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Yeah but watching on the BBC you have to wade through montage after montage before seeing any sport.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast