Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Sonia O'Sullivan not impressed with the 10k WR being absolutely smashed there. She's 'questioning' how easy it was for 3 women to get under 30 minutes, despite 5 people only ever having done it previously.

The winner of the race just broke the record by 14 seconds, and hardly looked out of breath afterwards. Suspicious.
    It's obvious what went on. I'm tired of this.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    And then you hear Niall O'Toole on OTB earlier and now on RTÉ2 just now talking to the lads and everything is alright with the Olympics again.

My stream froze after they crossed the line so i missed out on Neville Maxwell bursting into tears on air. I love it when you get to see people being emotional about their (minority) sports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Sonia O'Sullivan not impressed with the 10k WR being absolutely smashed there. She's 'questioning' how easy it was for 3 women to get under 30 minutes, despite 5 people only ever having done it previously.

The winner of the race just broke the record by 14 seconds, and hardly looked out of breath afterwards. Suspicious.
    Its the selective suspicion that I find hard. Bolt does 9.58 with his arms outstretched for the last 10m and no one bats an eyelid. Almost as big a joke in relative terms to what happened this evening.

Watching the hockey - our lads hanging on 1-0 down after the 1st Q. Argentina should be out of sight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Its the selective suspicion that I find hard. Bolt does 9.58 with his arms outstretched for the last 10m and no one bats an eyelid. Almost as big a joke in relative terms to what happened this evening.

Watching the hockey - our lads hanging on 1-0 down after the 1st Q. Argentina should be out of sight.
    You're right about the selective suspicion. The only thing about Bolt's regards (as off the wall they are and as mental it is that the only people that have beaten him tend to be cheats themselves) is that the times have come down gradually. It;s not like a 23 year old record got smashed on this particular day!

---

Harte playing a blinder in goal. Shame to be 2-1 down now,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    2-2 now - Argentina bottled it last night - 10 mins left - whatever the result they've done very well.

edit - aaaaaannd its gone again 3-2 Argentina.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 12/08/2016 at 11:51 PM.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Michael Conlan had a good 'ol rant after that decision. Looked fairly mad alright. I wonder if combination of O'Reilly's drug suspension and coaches comments on judges after Taylor had an effect on the panel?

Bolt is one of those strange untouchables. I've been scolded by perfectly reasonable people for daring to suggest the human body can't go that fast over 100 metres naturally. It'll turn out like Lance Armstrong one day.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Michael Conlan had a good 'ol rant after that decision. Looked fairly mad alright. I wonder if combination of O'Reilly's drug suspension and coaches comments on judges after Taylor had an effect on the panel?
    I doubt they could care less about either of those things. That Russian is winning gold whether he makes it out of the ring alive or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Annalise Murphy is an Olympic medallist. So proud of her, fantastic job Annalise!

9. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I doubt they could care less about either of those things. That Russian is winning gold whether he makes it out of the ring alive or not.
    Didn't see the fight so I don't know whether he was "cheated" or not but all three judges gave it to the Russian and he should have just taken it on the chin (pun intended). He sounded a bit like Alex Ferguson/Mark Hughes/Random Premiership manager when some decisions went against them. To be honest 4 years ago Katie was fairly lucky to be awarded that win in the final bout and her opponent claimed there was bias going on. Such is a sport where judges have to make up their own mind - I am not sure that it is a scientific art.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If you haven't seen the fight I don't think you have the context to say what he should have done.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Didn't see the fight so I don't know whether he was "cheated" or not but all three judges gave it to the Russian and he should have just taken it on the chin (pun intended). He sounded a bit like Alex Ferguson/Mark Hughes/Random Premiership manager when some decisions went against them. To be honest 4 years ago Katie was fairly lucky to be awarded that win in the final bout and her opponent claimed there was bias going on. Such is a sport where judges have to make up their own mind - I am not sure that it is a scientific art.
    Here's the full fight:

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/rio...4165/10611027/

---

I'm delighted he had his outburst because being quiet gets nobody anywhere. The boxing judging in the Olympics has been brutal and clearly suspect. So I was delighted that he let rip. Screw the Olympics.

---

That being said, congrats to Annalise!

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Superb by Thomas Barr. Best male Irish track performance since...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Superb by Thomas Barr. Best male Irish track performance since...?
    Bob Tisdall?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Don't agree. It was like listening to the perpetual whinging of the Premiership managers when they lose, without the expletives. Just comes across as a bad loser. It's not as if the judges were from Georgia and Belorussia. They were from Poland (not exactly Russia's best buddies), Sri Lanka (the other side of the world) and Brazil. Is he claiming that all three were got at because all three awarded it to the Russian ? I play a lot of cricket and we umpire our own games and the amount of moaning and accusations of cheating which go on when teams don't get decisions does my head in.That said, I can understand his frustration having put in 4 years dedication and then for the judges to give the fight to his opponent.

Slightly disappointed with Annalise. She was in the gold medal position and she said she then relaxed because she knew she'd win a medal. It was as if she was happy with a medal (any medal) when the gold was there for the taking.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Don't agree. It was like listening to the perpetual whinging of the Premiership managers when they lose, without the expletives. Just comes across as a bad loser. It's not as if the judges were from Georgia and Belorussia. They were from Poland (not exactly Russia's best buddies), Sri Lanka (the other side of the world) and Brazil. Is he claiming that all three were got at because all three awarded it to the Russian ? I play a lot of cricket and we umpire our own games and the amount of moaning and accusations of cheating which go on when teams don't get decisions does my head in.That said, I can understand his frustration having put in 4 years dedication and then for the judges to give the fight to his opponent.
    two scandalous decisions in 24 hours and both to the benefit of Russians. raises serious questions really.
    you would also have to ask yourself why certain organisations, including boxing, allowed the Russians take part yet others, and the entire Russian paralympic team, were not allowed compete. also raises questions.

Slightly disappointed with Annalise. She was in the gold medal position and she said she then relaxed because she knew she'd win a medal. It was as if she was happy with a medal (any medal) when the gold was there for the taking.
    only she can know what tactics were required to ensure it wasn't another 4th place like London. if the gold was really on I have no doubt she would have gone for it. she couldn't "relax" at any stage given the threat that others posed to a medal of any colour

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Don't agree. It was like listening to the perpetual whinging of the Premiership managers when they lose, without the expletives. Just comes across as a bad loser. It's not as if the judges were from Georgia and Belorussia. They were from Poland (not exactly Russia's best buddies), Sri Lanka (the other side of the world) and Brazil. .
    Cos they love the Russians.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Reports Pat Hickey arrested

http://www.irishexaminer.com/rioolym...il-750161.html

I don't understand why he'd be touting tickets for a half-empty stadium. Crowds have been shocking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Cos they love the Russians.
    Well they love Stalin !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Real nailbiter now: Medals 2, Arrests 2.

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    I'm Conlons corner here, it needed to be said, you know when you have knocked f*~k out of someone and he had. The stadium is empty most of the time, viewing figures down also I believe. The sport is foul, it's broken. And if won't be fixed with stiff upper lipped quiet compliance and acceptance you are advocating OwlsFan.

26. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast