Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Record Breakers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

Record Breakers

First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC.

Longest unbeaten league run in Irish Football history.

Leave your glowing tributes here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    During the week a Limerick man wanted to know will ye be in the same division as Dundalk and Cork next season. He was amazed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    ... that these clubs will be coming to Limerick. When I just pointed out he could have seen these clubs coming to Limerick last year he was complaining that the games should have been marketed better.

Anyways back somewhat on topic, is it possible for Limerick to win the league at home to Cabinteely on August 13th?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Longest unbeaten league run in Irish Football history.
    Not sure where you got your information from but Limerick have yet to get this record, Limerick currently are on 20. The League record for most unbeaten league run is 30 gotten by Shamrock Rovers (Jan 1926-Nov 1927) & Athlone Town (Sep 1980-Sep 1981).

You may then say, its most unbeaten run in a single league season but thats also not the case, Limerick currently on 19. The League record for most unbeaten league run in a season is 27 gotten Bohemians (2008), Athlone Town (1980/81) & Cobh Ramblers (2007).

Finally, you may say its from the start of season, but again this is not the case, Limerick currently on 19. The League record for most unbeaten league run from the start of a season is 26 gotten by Drogheda United (1990/91).

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Just saw it on some random blog.

Didn't really give it much thought.

Just thought might mildly annoy a couple of people on here

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Never trust a random blog

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Anyways back somewhat on topic, is it possible for Limerick to win the league at home to Cabinteely on August 13th?
    For us to to that(make it a mathematical certainty), we'd need to be 22 points clear going into the Cabinteely game, and then win it.

If we beat Drogheda next weekend, we'll be 23 ahead of them. If UCD fail to win next weekend against Shels, we'd be at least 22 ahead of them, so we could win it against Cabinteely.

Even if UCD win next weekend, they'll play Drogheda on August 12th, and if they fail to win that, we could win it against Cabinteely a day later.

Having said all that, we need to beat Drogheda next weekend and they're definitely the team that has caused us most problems so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts

Im raging altogether that the all conquering Limerick FC hasn't smashed every record by now!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

YOUR RIGHT....you did,and of course not like you to not give it much thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    The question remains is can Limerick do it on a cold wet night in Finn Park?

With the division they are in the answer is no

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Limerick are a decent side and playing quality football, no doubt about that. However just as the case last year, when Dundalk smashed the goal scoring record in one season, it was over 33 games, the record was held by Rovers over 18 games, (open to correction) but it was a much lower amount of games played, and it was def a 2 series league, so it's right to consider that comparison, albeit from the 1920's.

It therefore has to be mentioned, and with respect to Limerick, as much as its very difficult to raise yourself after a relegation (took us 7 years), but calm it down guys, this is FD football we are talking about.
    Last edited by oriel; 31/07/2016 at 12:16 AM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

15. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Limerick are a decent side and playing quality football, no doubt about that. However just as the case last year, when Dundalk smashed the goal scoring record in one season, it was over 33 games, the record was held by Rovers over 18 games, (open to correction) but it was a much lower amount of games played, and it was def a 2 series league, so it's right to consider that comparison, albeit from the 1920's.

It therefore has to be mentioned, and with respect to Limerick, as much as its very difficult to raise yourself after a relegation (took us 7 years), but calm it down guys, this is FD football we are talking about.
    Signed,

Pat Morley

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    On a surface level the top 6 looks healthy. The urban city areas of Cork, Derry, Dublin and Galway are represented along with provincial towns of Dundalk and Sligo.

Limerick is the only big urban area missing out. The year in First Division hasn't done them much harm.

It shouldn't be beyond the teams 3rd to 6th and Limerick to compete with the top 2.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I don't think I've been particularly smug at any point this year but I think you'd do well to find any club, at any level, anywhere in the world, whose fans wouldn't be dancing with delight at the run we've been on (particularly when you look at where we were half-way through last season, hopelessly cut adrift and in the middle of an Athlone-style civil war between support and chairman). I've followed Limerick for long enough that I'm going to make the most of this season. The ghost of that second season up in Pike isn't so long ago that today's league table isn't massive for Limerick.

With all respect to Dundalk, we've spent all but three seasons of the last twenty or so in the second tier, winning again (and particularly in this fashion) is still a big deal for me personally.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

20. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    I for one hope you go the season unbeaten, but if 30 games is the record, how can you break that with only 28 games, or does it include cup runs as well

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklordsbane View Post
    I for one hope you go the season unbeaten, but if 30 games is the record, how can you break that with only 28 games, or does it include cup runs as well
    There's always the start of next season. Or even the end of last season I suppose if play-offs games weren't included?
    The ball is round and has many surprises.