Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2016/17

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    What is the plan Summer Soccer wise for Junior lads? Have the FAI decreed it must happen?

A lot of the focus is on the club drawing in/poaching players but as someone mentioned it has also to be acknowledged that we've raised the facilities and improved the coaching offered within the underage, this in turn has seen fathers and mothers from outside the immediate area get involved with the club who to be fair have done trojan work with running of teams and fundraising which also factors into the influx of players, if you have more links outside your area there has to be an increase in opportunity for recruitment, its all part of it - facilities cannot be understated though, HALF the teams in Divsion 1 dont have working showers, some dont even have dressing rooms FFS!

Dec Nash has plied his trade on and off with both Rathkeale and Regional down the years, he was also part of a Kilcornan Junior team that won a Hogan cup many moons ago I think.
    Peter may have played early days in Kilcornan but his age group was sadly short on numbers and I doubt there was a team that time and as nathan said played in Rathkeale and Regional also I think

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langerdan007 View Post
    What is the plan Summer Soccer wise for Junior lads? Have the FAI decreed it must happen?
    Nothing really planned that I know of but it will happen eventually.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbrown View Post
    I cant really defend AK as I dont know what goes on there but it seems to me that fanaticfan has personal experience with the girls teams, cant tar all other underage teams with the same brush. Girls is difficult, theres not many teams and when 2 good teams (like adare and kilcornan were at u14) join up, girls are gonna wanna play with the best. If there was poaching involved in getting other girls there then thats wrong but it doesnt explain how the boys teams are so successful.
    As regards other parishes, theres no club in the league that doesnt have players from neighbouring parishes. Cappagh have no soccer, ballysteen have no underage soccer, Askeaton are traditionally under some sort of dictatorship who noone wants to play for, so you cant blame players from those parishes for playing for them.
    Langerdan compared it to St Kierans, what about Rathkeale? Successful junior team this year, how many are from rathkeale? very few. Abbeyfeale always draw from a different county, despite being a rather large town with huge catchment area. It goes on everywhere lads

Nice to have opened a can of worms. Keep it coming
    I heard that AK Utd were poaching players from all different clubs and you can see that they have from their underage girls teams. Players with them from all different clubs from the gaynor cup and also heard for a fact that they are poaching players from different clubs with underage boys.

On a different note a good win from Broadford last weekend at home to youghal in the Munster junior cup and are home to Aisling Annacotty in the quarter finals who they beat Carew Park in the last 16. A great chance for Broadford to go all the way to the final

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    AK aren't the first club to poach player's and they won't be the last. Why are ye even talking about it. Every club that wants to win trophies, go after the best players

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I noticed Wille of Brien played for Broadford last Sunday, great signing in my opinion

6. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Ya Liam o brien is a decent player, played in town for few seasons wit fairview I think?? Wats his connection with broadford? I see abbey home to glin tomorrow, more fire works expected..how come they did not give Dat game to ref Nunnan who was excellent in glin a few months back...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Rockhill Rovers giving their second walkover today against Ballysteen is worrying, especially when you consider Ballingarry B have already pulled out.
    Newcastle West AFC have a real task on their hands if they are to survive now with Killeaney getting two big league wins in as many weeks.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Do you have points deducted for giving walk overs, as well as the other team getting the three points?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think it is an awful idea football was not meant to be played with runners and on artificial pitches which would be the same as playing on hard ground in the summer. i am from the old stock of boots and green grass and good old mud if the grass is gone and if a match is called off its not the end of the world there is always another day....... not to mention when clubs will be without players every second or third week with Tommy gone away and Mick gone away and poor old Paddy gone to Santa Ponsa, and then you have the lads gone away here when the weather is good lying on the beaches of Ballybunion Tramore and god for bid Lahinch. No I'm afraid summer soccer a'int for me

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoot View Post
    Do you have points deducted for giving walk overs, as well as the other team getting the three points?
    Just a 3-0 loss.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticfan View Post
    On a different note a good win from Broadford last weekend at home to youghal in the Munster junior cup and are home to Aisling Annacotty in the quarter finals who they beat Carew Park in the last 16. A great chance for Broadford to go all the way to the final
    Good win for Broadford alright but it's nuts thinking that they have a chance of making Munster final. They are probably aiming for 4th in Prem league never mind top 2 in Munster

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I'd also be worried about Summer soccer Shoot - not worried about the conditions bit but would agree that you'll likely struggle to get your best team out 2 weeks in a row and when your pitting soccer in direct competition with GAA you'll lose some lads - on the other side of it though would we see more evening/midweek games?? I think playing on a Friday night is a very attractive proposition, do Abbey play under lights much??

Always thought it was a 3 point deduction for a walkover - If you give a 3rd walkover you do get thrown out of the league dont you?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes Langerdan077 you do get points deducted for giving a W/O but getting thrown out for giving three walkovers i don't know. I think Rockhills over W/O must have been in one of the cup competitions Shearer because they have only three points deducted from their league points.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoot View Post
    Yes Langerdan077 you do get points deducted for giving a W/O but getting thrown out for giving three walkovers i don't know. I think Rockhills over W/O must have been in one of the cup competitions Shearer because they have only three points deducted from their league points.
    Their other one was against Newcastle West B in the Desmond Cup.

To the best of my knowledge it's three walkovers and you're gone.
    Last edited by Shearer; 22/02/2017 at 8:21 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    If you give 3 walkover your gone.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Be a lot more walk overs when the summer season comes in unless clubs amgalmate first . The Desmond league covers west Limerick primarily , it makes a big difference if your rural or a town . Towns like Abbeyfeale and Newcastle west have more than enough to field different sports teams but the question is of the best sports players in your area how many will put soccer ahead of GAA ?
    In abbéyfeale soccer and football would each end up with 5 of the ten most talented sports players if I was asked which would ensure both clubs operate away at a highish level .
    But clubs like granagh , rock hill , ferry rangers , ballysteen , breska would see 9 out of ten of the most talented players in the parish choose gaa , on the other side of the coin Glin is probably the strongest and most soccer parish in west limerick , kilcornan seems to be the only parish with no gaa and along with NCw and abbey would be best placed . Broadford has north cork gaa playrs as well . Rathkeale and ballingarry should be ok although gaa is a lot stronger in rathkeale than it used be . Bottom line most clubs will be affected but most importantly the league could lose big time , a lot of clubs will still have teams but what quality ?? as in many cases the better players might be driven out of the league due to the gaa been their first choice .
    It is amazing looking on at the west gaa how poorly at times it's organised or structured but right or wrong the local gaa jersey has some hold over many people in west limerick .
    Against that , are their players presently playing rugby first over the present soccer season that would be an addition to the summer soccer season ?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbeyman View Post
    Be a lot more walk overs when the summer season comes in unless clubs amgalmate first . The Desmond league covers west Limerick primarily , it makes a big difference if your rural or a town . Towns like Abbeyfeale and Newcastle west have more than enough to field different sports teams but the question is of the best sports players in your area how many will put soccer ahead of GAA ?
    In abbéyfeale soccer and football would each end up with 5 of the ten most talented sports players if I was asked which would ensure both clubs operate away at a highish level .
    But clubs like granagh , rock hill , ferry rangers , ballysteen , breska would see 9 out of ten of the most talented players in the parish choose gaa , on the other side of the coin Glin is probably the strongest and most soccer parish in west limerick , kilcornan seems to be the only parish with no gaa and along with NCw and abbey would be best placed . Broadford has north cork gaa playrs as well . Rathkeale and ballingarry should be ok although gaa is a lot stronger in rathkeale than it used be . Bottom line most clubs will be affected but most importantly the league could lose big time , a lot of clubs will still have teams but what quality ?? as in many cases the better players might be driven out of the league due to the gaa been their first choice .
    It is amazing looking on at the west gaa how poorly at times it's organised or structured but right or wrong the local gaa jersey has some hold over many people in west limerick .
    Against that , are their players presently playing rugby first over the present soccer season that would be an addition to the summer soccer season ?
    Summer soccer would be short term gain for long term gain, young lads are already being told not to play soccer at, be pro active, make them choose soccer or gaa as early as 12. There is then plenty of time to work on the players that remain skills and u will have them for life. Look at some of the best players in the league, Alan O'Shea, Tony Quaid, Joe McAuliffe, James Cussen, Tommy Smith. All these players have soccer as number 1. Another thing with summer soccer, for all their talk the gaa can't schedule a match in June or July. Imagine how much soccer could be played from March to August with all the best weather and long evenings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Rathkeale game going ahead tomorrow?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    With the Gaa on the brink of revolt from there club players the Fai should be rolling out summer soccer asap. Players are fed up with the structure and with a guaranteed game every weekend in soccer I think the fallout that people worry about wouldn't be that bad.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The way limerick footballers are going , they needn't worry about super 8 anytime soon!

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast