Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2016/17

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree Jackass, poty for Div2 went to Jim Liston who also only played half a season and then went playing County. I hear Daragh Ranahan from Ballysteen was banging in the goals all season surely he deserved poty for Div 2.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anyone at the Div 2 cup final last Friday night, There was an awful decision that nearly cost Askeaton winning, the officials failed to spot a double handball for Shountrades late late equalizer. Is it time to bring the two officials behind the goals for cup finals and playoffs

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    There would be no harm because the other referees would be there watching anyway. I can't wait to hear what's gonna happen with both Newcastle West teams joining together and Killeaney with Bally Rovers or Carrig Celtic that I'm hearing. How many will go down to the first and up to the premier. Athea beating abbeyfeale 4-1 in Abbey the weekend. Could they beat Rathkeale in the last game and cost them the league title

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Thursday, May 25th

Division 3
    Feenagh B V Glantine B 7pm (J Molyneaux)

Saturday, May 27th

Youths Division 1 League Cup Final (et & pens)
    Rathkeale V GB Rovers, 230pm, Clounreask, (G O’Connor, T Fitzpatrick, P O’Donnell, 4th official tba)

Sunday, May 28th

Premier Division (all 11.30am)
    Athea Utd V Rathkeale (P O’Brien)
    Ballingarry V Abbeyfeale Utd (P King)
    Carrig Celtic V Broadford Utd (P O’Connor)
    Glin Rovers V Newcastle West Rovers (P Manning)
    Killeaney V Newcastle West (J Roche)

Division 3 Shield Final (et & pens)
    Feenagh B V Knockaderry 630pm, (L O’Connor, T Fitzmaurice, E Noonan, 4th official tba)

Friday, June 2nd

Desmond Cup Final (et & pens)
    Broadford Utd V Glin Rovers 730pm in Clounreask, (P O’Brien, J Roche, P Manning, 4th official E Noonan)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    nathanbrown Rathkeale B I think struggled with getting the same team out week in week out - we played them in the league near the end and they only had the bare 11 and we won 4-1 I think - played the following week in the league cup semi and a few of the faces we'd seen earlier in the season were there and they beat us

Wasnt there Shoot but did hear the equalizer was a woeful decision - just as well they came through on penos!
    Umpires are the way forward!!!
    Seriously though I'm sure the refs would welcome the extra official for a final, nobody wants to cost a team unfairly

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I think there's a much higher chance of Rathkeale slipping up away to Athea tomorrow then there is of Broadford dropping points in Carrig.
    Limerick Desmond League Preview 28/5/2017.
    Last edited by Shearer; 27/05/2017 at 7:24 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Newcastlewest amalgamation put back till next season. Clubs will go it alone for one more year it looks like. Possibly sorted by February 2018

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Well done to Rathkeale winning the league. Fair to say the deserved it over the course of the season. Desmond cup final should be a good game. Fancy Broadford myself. Hopefully the officials have a good game and their not the talking point after.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I hear it's not going down to well in the Rovers camp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Congratulations to Rathkeale, they've been threatening over the last couple of seasons & seen it out this year, worthy winners.
    Broadfords late surge just fell short but they should win the Desmond Cup v Glin... Glin do love being the underdogs though, hopefully be a good final.

Quote Originally Posted by last man back View Post
    I hear it's not going down to well in the Rovers camp
    In relation to the amalgamation, why would Rovers not be happy? Aren't NCW AFC struggling for numbers towards the end of last season, and got relegated? Would it not be the other way around?

Not great when you see teams which were in the PREMIER of the Desmond League this season looking to amalgamate (NCW/ Rovers & Killeaney) what's happening?? Are fellas simply not playing anymore?
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YA BEAUTY! What a hit son... what a hit!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Its definitely got a lot harder to get and keep fella's interested sexyfootball - Squads across the league are fairly tight I would say - bears out what you see at youth level - 1 division of 11 teams feeding into the 4 division Junior league - you'll find as well that the better youths are drawn to the likes of Abbey/Rathkeale and into the city - your team isn't as competitive as a result and you'll find lads find it easier to not make the effort - a vicious circle!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Langerdan007 View Post
    Its definitely got a lot harder to get and keep fella's interested sexyfootball - Squads across the league are fairly tight I would say - bears out what you see at youth level - 1 division of 11 teams feeding into the 4 division Junior league - you'll find as well that the better youths are drawn to the likes of Abbey/Rathkeale and into the city - your team isn't as competitive as a result and you'll find lads find it easier to not make the effort - a vicious circle!
    I don't think it's just players are the issue, over the past few years I have seen some clubs really struggle for numbers but somehow keep going at youth level, and as a result their junior teams benefited after a couple of seasons, Rovers and Broadford are 2 that spring to mind. Both are now in the top 3 of what has probably been the strongest Premier Division in over 20 years. On the flip side, some clubs made no attempt with their youth teams if the quality was poor even though they had numbers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langerdan007 View Post
    I do know there is a greater draw for younger fellas into the city to play with clubs inside, use it as a platform to be noticed by coaches & (then hopefully for them) onto to a LOI club. The Limerick FC under 17s & 19s have taken a good share from the Desmond League indirectly over the last couple of seasons.

Also in recent seasons there are alot more people within Desmond League clubs who are doing their 'Kick Start' & National/ UEFA Coaching Courses which can only be good for the the next generation of players over the next 5-10 years.

Just a shame to see such a club as NCW to be struggling as it is..., Killeaney are always yoyoing between division 1 & the Premier but they may becoming to the end of their road...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    'Shearer' as the Desmond Cup final will be the last game of the season, i just want to say fair play to you & thanks for your weekly reviews for all the Desmond League Divisions throughout the season.
    Hopefully we'll see more of the same next season from you!

You'll let us know of all the transfer dealings throughout the Summer #ITK

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sexyfootball View Post
    'Shearer' as the Desmond Cup final will be the last game of the season, i just want to say fair play to you & thanks for your weekly reviews for all the Desmond League Divisions throughout the season.
    Hopefully we'll see more of the same next season from you!

You'll let us know of all the transfer dealings throughout the Summer #ITK
    Thanks very much I really appreciate it. I've really enjoyed writing these all season but unfortunately this will be the last of them. I'll try and get some other stuff up across the Summer though.

Throwback Thursday: Limerick Desmond League Desmond Cup Final Replay 2007.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    The last of them till the season begins again only I hope you mean ?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Well done shearer, excellent work through out year..hopefully u be back. Congrats to ratkeale and abbeyfeale on great seasons and also broadford and glin for making show piece final..while ratkeale winning league was good and great to see a new team win it I think abbeyfeale played excellent football whenever i seen them, I seen ratkeale three times and neither impressed me, but league table does not lie. I think Abbey hectic schedule cost them in long run but still ended up wit two cups, one which was excellent for all in Desmond league defeating the powerhouses st Michael's in final. Ratkeale will surly try push on next year . Broadford also impressed me wit a lot of quality in their squad and hopefully they will end up with a cup to show for it.. best wishes to chris smith for summer, another great thing for Desmond league.. Any truth in rumour lynch and Kelleher are moving to district league for coming season???

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Ray lynch is manager of regional next season and is already asking players from 3 different clubs to go in next year. His playing career is over I'd say and what a player he was for Broadford. I'd say Gary Egan will call it a day too. Pushing on and is 40. Could be wrong. I'd like to see broadford win cos of lynch last game

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Was talking to Egan after they played Rathkeale and he said that next season would be his 20th season playing premier league soccer so that he would give it 1 more year to achieve that. He was debating at the time though as to whether it would be as player manager or just a player

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast