Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2016/17

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruyff View Post
    Abbeyfeale were very unlucky, Navan had 2 shots on target and scored both. Abbeyfeale had 4 or 5 great chances and a penalty that should have been given to them in the first half. The only real scare that Navan gave Abbeyfeale was a diagonal cross that bounced over Billy Quirke and hit the post, 5 minutes later a low shot from the left was parried by Quirke into the path of an incoming striker, the Abbeyfeale defender had to stick his boot out to try and stop the tap in and unfortunately turned it into his own net, no real fault on his part. Abbeyfeale were well below what they're capable of, Navan are a very experienced, clever side who knew what Abbeyfeale were going to do well and did well to take it away mostly. They pressed high up stopping the balls down the channel that Abbeyfeale usually kill teams with to get in behind, despite this Abbeyfeale were still the better side on chances created. Mid way through the second half Abbeyfeale lost the ball on half way, (probably was a foul on Barry Sheedy I thought but not given) Navan striker received the ball 30 yards out 1 on 2 with Cormac Roche and Billy Quirke, turned this way and that in the edge of the box and chipped the ball over Quirke into the left hand corner of the net, Game Over. Chris Smith and Joe Kelliher were fantastic for Abbeyfeale, really couldn't say enough about how good Smith was, must have won 20 headers.
    Fair play to Abbeyfeale reaching this stage and unfortunately they didn't get the luck on the day, still that won't be much consolation to them.
    There will be other chances especially in the Munster Junior and regardless of how their season plays out they've been terrific ambassadors for our league.
    I don't want to be too critical here lads but surely if Abbey are as good as they believe they are then getting knocked out at the last 32 stage must be seen as a major set back. Numerous teams including Abbey themselves have reached the last 16 in recent years, so surely a quarter final would be a minimum target. Apart from the St Michaels result, I'm not sure if any of their results have been out of the ordinary and in my humble opinion Rathkeale notching up 10 straight league wins matches anything abbey have done this year. Just my opinion lads before somebody throws their clothes off

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    wasnt in abbeyfeale today but by all accounts ger o Connor bottled a stone wall penalty, i think rathkeales run has to be applauded but in a poor league that they haven't won yet. i wouldn't say that they think they are anything special just get on with whats in front of them to be honest. Kelliher seems to be very grounded in what he speaks about so i wouldn't be saying there cocky, over the last three seasons theyve won a hell of a lot and to add a Munster title to that id say fair play to them. it was asked a few weeks back were they the best team ever to come out of the league, on trophies and furthering themselves in these competitions the way they have done id have no problem in saying that they must be concidered as been. ive seen Chris smith on a few occasions to date and in my own opinion he if anyone should be at least looked at for an irish junior cap. im sure the enforcer mightn't like me praising the Abbeyfeale lads and honestly I've no ties with the club but if we are talking about Rathkeale v Abbeyfeale id side with the fealesiders again just my opinion.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Ya I was in abbey also yesterday, a great crowd there to support them. I agree about the penalty claim,stonewall. Once again a desmond official screws a home side..and how he could give a free out was beyond belief.i thought the navan lads played the ref all day and he fell for it..it was a game abbey left behind them to be fair but if u don't take your chances when your on top you don't win games.. disappointing from a desmond league points of view also..it took would be great to have a team in last 16 of big competition..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Enforcer View Post
    I don't want to be too critical here lads but surely if Abbey are as good as they believe they are then getting knocked out at the last 32 stage must be seen as a major set back. Numerous teams including Abbey themselves have reached the last 16 in recent years, so surely a quarter final would be a minimum target. Apart from the St Michaels result, I'm not sure if any of their results have been out of the ordinary and in my humble opinion Rathkeale notching up 10 straight league wins matches anything abbey have done this year. Just my opinion lads before somebody throws their clothes off
    I wouldn't totally agree with that, although they've gone 10 wins from 10 (good achievement) they have yet to play Abbeyfeale in the league... a long way to go yet & in my opinion Abbey are still the best team in the league.
    In relation to the National cups a bit of luck in the draws, avoiding the 'bigger' teams allows teams to get a bit further too. Personally I think us being disappointed at a Desmond League team being knocked out in the last 32 is a good thing as it shows we feel our Leagues teams should be competing at this level.
    Locally - Rathkeale got a good 1-0 away to Ballingarry, Newcastle West Rovers beat Newcastle West 'A' 3-1, Glin had a big win over Carrig 7-2 & Broadford beat Killeaney 3-0.

I was at the Newcastle West Derby & must say the 3-1 scoreline doesn't do NCW 'A' justice - Rovers deservedly took the lead midway through the first half when a shot was deflected in (possibly Charlie Power), after this though NCW pushed and were on top for the remainder of the half.
    This theme carried on into the second half where the Rovers keeper Kevin Mee made 3 very good saves from NCW chances. Then against the run of play Rovers scored from a free kick (Shane Stack) to make it 2-0.
    NCW pushed and probed again and finally got their reward when they scored a goal on the break - not sure but i think it was Paul Downes.
    They continued to put Rovers under pressure and were awarded a penalty with about 20 mins remaining however Tony Quaids penalty was saved by Mee. With about 10 mins left Rovers scored a good third (Mike O'Keefe) as NCW had pushed forward looking for an equaliser.
    A good game to watch & on this evidence NCW should hopefully have enough to get enough points on the board to comfortably stay up.
    Last edited by sexyfootball; 16/01/2017 at 12:27 PM.
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YA BEAUTY! What a hit son... what a hit!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Rathkeale 2 Abbey 2
    Chris Smith put Abbey 1-0 from the penalty spot half an hour in. Seán O'Shea equalised with a header from a free kick just before half time. Pat Ahern put Rathkeale ahead in second half with Doherty getting a late equaliser.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    anyone at the Newcastle game they must be favourites to go down with killeany now. Abbeyfeale lucky to get a point I heard which could rock the title open now they've stopped rathkeales 10 game winning streak how was the young nash today was he at his usual best Keith?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Ya decent game this morning in ratkeale.. I think a draw was a fair result with way chances went.. thought abbey shaded the possession and played better football.ratkeale stay unbeaten so they won't worry about that..Abbey were missing 4 or 5 starters from previous week though so ratkeale should be able to beat a second abbey team, they had a lad in goal I never before seen and Quirke on bench, I presume he was injured?? Great win for broadford in munster cup,Brosnan and Egan very good throughout.. Newcastle got a hammering again..

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Yes good win for Broadford today .....amazing the desmond officials didn't screw them once again as you perceive ......title race is on between the top 3

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Desmond Cup Draw:

Abbeyfeale Utd vs Breska Rovers Riverside Park, Abbeyfeale
    Abbeyfeale Utd B vs Bally Rovers Riverside Park, Abbeyfeale
    Adare Utd vs Ballysteen Deerpark Estate, Adare
    Askeaton AFC vs Shannonside FC Pairc Eas Geitne, Askeaton Ballingarry AFC vs Feenagh B The Paddocks, Ballingarry
    Broadford Utd vs Carrig Celtic B Cove Park
    Carrig Celtic vs Rathkeale Carrickerry
    Creeves Celtic vs Pallaskenry The Thatch
    Ferry Rangers vs Glantine Tarbert Glantine B vs Newcastle West Templeglantine
    Glin Rovers B vs Glin Rovers Glin
    Granagh Utd vs Rathkeale B Granagh
    Kildimo Utd vs Newcastle West Rovers B Kildimo
    Killeaney vs Athea Utd Knockdown
    Knockaderry vs Feenagh Knockaderry
    Newcastle West B vs Rockhill Rovers The Demese
    Newcastle West Rovers vs Shountrade Woodfield Estate
    St. Itas vs AK Utd Ashford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Great win for Broadford alright, hopefully Abbeyfeale can follow suit and keep our 2 team League representation in the competition going.

Looks like I may have under estimated Rathkeale, that's a great point for them, Abbey will be looking at other teams doing them a favour now... see Rathkeale have Rovers this weekend, could be a good game but you'd have to fancy Rathkeale to at least keep their unbeaten run going.

Carrig had a very big win over Newcastle West... having seen NCW play the Sunday previous I must say i'm very surprised... was anyone at the game?
    Themselves (NCW) and Athea have a huge game this weekend... a win for either would be a huge boost to their hopes of staying up.

Desmond Cup
    Looks like most of the Premier teams managed to avoid each other; Carrig Celtic & Rathkeale probably the tie of the first round.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    NCW V Athea
    Rovers V Rathkeale
    Ballingarry V Killeaney
    3 huge games, NCW were a good bit weaker last Sunday than the previous week, will be a lot stronger for Athea game I'd imagine.
    Rovers will get something off Rathkeale probably although Rathkeale took a huge step towards the title last Sunday.
    Killeaney have to win but unlikely

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I think ratkeale will have too much for rovers.rovers are only average side at best and will Corbett out dey will struggle..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Apologies for the delay in posting this, been hard to get time to do it with work.
    Limerick Desmond League Preview 29/1/2017

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What weekend are these fixtures down for does anyone know?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Back_Of_The_Net View Post
    What weekend are these fixtures down for does anyone know?
    Last Weekend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Desmond Cup this Weekend:
    For the craic i'm gonna try and predict all the results: try & better 'Shearer'!

1. Abbeyfeale Utd V Breska Rovers - Abbeyfeale Utd
    2. Abbeyfeale Utd B V Bally Rovers - Abbeyfeale Utd B
    3. Adare Utd V Ballysteen AFC - Ballysteen
    4. Killeaney V Athea Utd - Athea Utd
    5. Askeaton AFC V Shannonside FC - Shannonside FC
    6. Ballingarry AFC V Feenagh B - Ballingarry AFC
    7. Broadford Utd V Carrig Celtic B - Broadford Utd
    8. Carrig Celtic V Rathkeale AFC - Rathkeale AFC
    9. Creeves Celtic V Pallaskenry AFC - Pallaskenry AFC
    10. Ferry Rangers V Glantine - Glantine
    11. Glantine B V Newcastle West AFC - Newcastle West AFC
    12. Glin Rovers B V Glin Rovers - Glin Rovers!!!!
    13. Granagh Utd V Rathkeale B - Granagh Utd
    14. Kildimo Utd V Newcastle West Rovers B - Kildimo Utd
    15. Knockaderry AFC V Feenagh - Feenagh
    16. Newcastle West B V Rockhill Rovers - Newcastle West B
    17. Newcastle West Rovers V Shountrade AFC - Newcastle West Rovers
    18. St. Itas V AK Utd - AK Utd

The Glin B v Glin game should be interesting!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sexyfootball View Post
    Desmond Cup this Weekend:
    For the craic i'm gonna try and predict all the results: try & better 'Shearer'!

1. Abbeyfeale Utd V Breska Rovers - Abbeyfeale Utd
    2. Abbeyfeale Utd B V Bally Rovers - Abbeyfeale Utd B
    3. Adare Utd V Ballysteen AFC - Ballysteen
    4. Killeaney V Athea Utd - Athea Utd
    5. Askeaton AFC V Shannonside FC - Shannonside FC
    6. Ballingarry AFC V Feenagh B - Ballingarry AFC
    7. Broadford Utd V Carrig Celtic B - Broadford Utd
    8. Carrig Celtic V Rathkeale AFC - Rathkeale AFC
    9. Creeves Celtic V Pallaskenry AFC - Pallaskenry AFC
    10. Ferry Rangers V Glantine - Glantine
    11. Glantine B V Newcastle West AFC - Newcastle West AFC
    12. Glin Rovers B V Glin Rovers - Glin Rovers!!!!
    13. Granagh Utd V Rathkeale B - Granagh Utd
    14. Kildimo Utd V Newcastle West Rovers B - Kildimo Utd
    15. Knockaderry AFC V Feenagh - Feenagh
    16. Newcastle West B V Rockhill Rovers - Newcastle West B
    17. Newcastle West Rovers V Shountrade AFC - Newcastle West Rovers
    18. St. Itas V AK Utd - AK Utd

The Glin B v Glin game should be interesting!
    1. Breska
    2. Abbeyfeale b
    3.adare
    4.kileaney
    5.shannonside
    6.Ballingarry
    7.broadford
    8. Carrig Celtic
    9.creeves
    10. Glantine
    11.Ncw
    12. Glin A
    13.granagh
    14. Ncw rovers B
    15.knockaderry
    16.Rock hill
    17.Ncw rovers
    18. St itas

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Massive congratulations to Chris Smith and Packie o connor who have been selected for the Irish junior team

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast