Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UEFA category 3 stadiums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    They have a lovely ground. The main stand has the level of facilities you would only get in the Aviva.

However, it was built and paid for by the local municipal authority.

The ground is part of a very large athletic complex, completely funded by government.

On the day of the game, we toured the entire complex in the morning and it is streets ahead of anything we do in Ireland.
    Was reading the wiki page on the campus. Some excellent facilities and really puts us to shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
    A question. Why did you need the temporary seats? Was it a category 4 requirement for the group games - 8,000 seats? Category 3 is 4,500 seats.
    Yep, they were needed to host the group games, if they weren't put in the only option was Landsdowne Road

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    Yep, they were needed to host the group games, if they weren't put in the only option was Landsdowne Road
    Was the RDS not an option? I can anticipate problems with sharing with Leinster but the pitch could be changed between the Thursday and Friday if Leinster had a home Friday game - it's been done in the Aviva and Croker I think.

I far prefered the RDS Pat's European games to the ones in Tallaght. Much better atmosphere, much cosier. I'd like for Dundalk to choose it over Tallaght if they make the group stage for that reason, it's not too far from Lansdowne Road train station which has trains running to Dundalk I believe. Of course there could be a variety of other factors which make Tallaght more appealing for other reasons.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    Was the RDS not an option? I can anticipate problems with sharing with Leinster but the pitch could be changed between the Thursday and Friday if Leinster had a home Friday game - it's been done in the Aviva and Croker I think.
    Cost of a relay that would otherwise not be required at another venue is a huge consideration, even with the extra cash around for advancing now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

In general what sees to happen is a club is successful for a period, money is generated and then spent/wasted on chasing success. The only exception in recent years is the Showgrounds. But then ownership is not a problem for the Bo'R. They sorted it out 40 years ago.
    Over 1 million invested in the Showgrounds in last 5 or 6 years.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Over 1 million invested in the Showgrounds in last 5 or 6 years.
    Believe it or not similar was spent on Oriel Park!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KianD View Post
    Cost of a relay that would otherwise not be required at another venue is a huge consideration, even with the extra cash around for advancing now.
    Surely he meant the markings and the goals, rather than the actual sod?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Believe it or not similar was spent on Oriel Park!!
    Really. Where has gone to. The Showgrounds has somthing to show for its money - new seated stand, new 4G astro pitch, new CL standard grass pitch, 2 six a side grass pitches,tarmac around the ground, etc.

What has Oriel had done? (genuine question) and dont get me started on that grass hill behind the goals.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Tbh we can only go on what the previous owner said it cost (it was his company that perform the renovations) but yeah the stand was rekitted out to include the front offices, that glass perspex outside stuff on thr stand was put in, the old shed being moved closer to accomdate the white elephant, ground works tarmac of the home and then the later away entrance. From recollection this happened around 2008 or 9. The banded out refit cost 1m.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Really. Where has gone to. The Showgrounds has somthing to show for its money - new seated stand, new 4G astro pitch, new CL standard grass pitch, 2 six a side grass pitches,tarmac around the ground, etc.

What has Oriel had done? (genuine question) and dont get me started on that grass hill behind the goals.
    Off the top of my head the relaying/ tarmaccing of the entrance and the side entrance into the away end, new board room on top of the bar beside the away end, the upgrade works for the first season we were back in europe getting all the seats in and remedial work done on the carrick road end and 5 min terrace end (a lot of those seats were repurposed from Croker and Landsdowne at the time and are banjaxed now again), the dressing rooms/ facilities inside the main stand and then the roof/ windows on the main stand had to be redone/ refurbished too. That's not getting into Gerrys Entertainment Centre that's now lying idle or the newer version of the pitch which is a different conversation/ can of worms that's been done to death at this stage.

The last few years we're limited to general maintanence and upkeep with the lease situation with the previous owner of the club. I did a mock up a couple of years ago that did the rounds after it was nicked off orielweb of what the stadium would look like if we put in a proper terrace/ stand coming off the YDC that wrapped the whole way around to the main stand, probably could have done it with the money thats been spent on keeping the place barely ticking over at this stage but for the lease situation.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Not that it matters, but what extras does Tallaght need to hold a CL group stage game?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Not that it matters, but what extras does Tallaght need to hold a CL group stage game?
    Extra seating, as far as I know. The stadium would have to be able to seat 8,000.

Not sure about the floodlights, there are brightness standards to be met.

14. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yes, would need an extra 2,000 capacity. Same as in the Europa League a few years back.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Yes, would need an extra 2,000 capacity. Same as in the Europa League a few years back.
    I think the seating is the only issue, everything else in Tallaght fulfils the requirements for a Category 4 stadium. It's the same requirements for EL and CL group games.

18. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    They'd probably need to sort out more permanent press facilities but that's about it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    It isn't universal that Icelandic grounds are good. Pats played away to IBV twice. One in Reykjavik as their own ground wasn't deemed good enough. Next year it was played at home. but everyone who went said it wouldn't be allowed in our league, never mind UEFA
    9/12 grounds are tidy, modern and up to scratch.

Usually it's taken into consideration that IBV are situated in the Icelandic equivalent of the Aran Islands and whatever discomfort visiting fans have is nothing compared to what the locals endure, often enough in gale force enhanced rain have to watch the game from the cosy confines of their jeep in the elevated car park and blow their horns in appreciation or derision (same sound but you can always tell which is which).

The IBV ground had 500 seats which was deemed not enough for the first EL game v Pats
    For the second EL game v Pats which was played on IBV´s home ground on the Westman islands, IBV had just completed an expansion of their seated area from500 to 1,000 and that appears to satisfy UEFA.

Stjarnan played their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round EL games in their home ground which has a 1000 seater covered stand, but had to move to the national stadium for the 4th round play off v Inter

FH were given permission to play their 4th round EL play off v Genk on their their own ground which is not in any way a category 4 ground.

It's clearly evident that Uefa are very flexible with implementation of their ground requirements for the first 3 Qual rounds, even when there are much better facilities in the neighbourhood, are more strict with ground facilities for the play offs but not letter of the law strict.
    Last edited by geysir; 06/08/2016 at 12:51 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123