Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UEFA category 3 stadiums

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Stradbrook is presumably owned by Blackrock College Rugby club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    id like to see the category listing for Thomond Park. I don't believe for one second that the stands are anyway safe due to their height and lack of any safety railings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I love the Cross. nights like tonight sre exactly why but were sort of screwed. its so tight that we could never meet all the non supporter stuff uefa look for. TX needs improvements for away fans. but its as close to perfect fot us as you could imagine otherwise. but vip seats, parking, media etc Re impossible. so long term we probably need a new home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Saw a couple of people post that FHs ground was of a good standard and from the pictures it seems that way. What category would theirs be? You'd also really have to ask the question, if Iceland can build decent stadia, why can't we? Always seems to be done piece meal here and even when done, not up to UEFA standards for later rounds.

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    It would be good if clubs could have their grounds owned by the council. Long leased, but council owned, then any upgrades required or needing grants would go through the cuoncil and joint funding could be applied for. It also means owners can use them as their own playthings, and guarantees the longevity of the grounds.

I definitely think there is a change in approach required. Not every club will be able to do this, but the likes of Cork should certainly be able have a decent 6-10k stadium with required category for competing at the later qualifying rounds of UEFA competitions.

Have to say though Turners Cross is a lovely compact stadium, which would kinda ruin it by upgrading/changing things around - even if they had the space.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    FH played Genk in the 2013/14 Europa League play-off round in the same ground as they played Dundalk on Wednesday - so presumably category 4 in that case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Saw a couple of people post that FHs ground was of a good standard and from the pictures it seems that way. What category would theirs be? You'd also really have to ask the question, if Iceland can build decent stadia, why can't we? Always seems to be done piece meal here and even when done, not up to UEFA standards for later rounds.
    It isn't universal that Icelandic grounds are good. Pats played away to IBV twice. One in Reykjavik as their own ground wasn't deemed good enough. Next year it was played at home. but everyone who went said it wouldn't be allowed in our league, never mind UEFA
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    It isn't universal that Icelandic grounds are good. Pats played away to IBV twice. One in Reykjavik as their own ground wasn't deemed good enough. Next year it was played at home. but everyone who went said it wouldn't be allowed in our league, never mind UEFA
    Been to Iceland myself and the ground was of a poor standard. However their top sides have decent grounds but ours don't. PS said above that FH would appear to be a Category 4 Stadium. I'm sure it is not the only one.

We just don't do investment into sporting infrastructure well in Ireland. It's either done in patches, isolation or not at all. We've more field sport stadia than you can shake a stick at but the vast majority are at best, in adequate.

Always plans here to do this and that but they largely remain that, plans!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    We just don't do investment into sporting infrastructure well in Ireland. It's either done in patches, isolation or not at all.
    This is it. It's criminal that Shels, Drogheda, Bohs and Derry, for all the money they ****ed away in the 2000s, did very little to upgrade their grounds. Between them, since 2000, they've added the Jodi Stand, the Lego Stand in Tolka and that's about it? Then you've the problems with Dundalk not being able to upgrade it seems. Cork in fairness have done a lot of work to Turner's Cross and turned it into a very nice ground, but obviously it's still sub-par.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
    Had a quick look at the category 3 details and I don't think OP would qualify. For starters you need 4,500 seats and then there's a load about press facilities, VIP seats................., even a jacks for the ref with a seat. Whatever next?

As Shams played their EL groups games in Tallaght then it must have met all the requirements.
    Rovers had to put in a temporary Stand for the Group games though or it wouldn't have met the standard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Saw a couple of people post that FHs ground was of a good standard and from the pictures it seems that way.
    They have a lovely ground. The main stand has the level of facilities you would only get in the Aviva.

However, it was built and paid for by the local municipal authority.

The ground is part of a very large athletic complex, completely funded by government.

On the day of the game, we toured the entire complex in the morning and it is streets ahead of anything we do in Ireland.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    We are drowning in sports infrastructure in this country but the issue is we have huge quantity and we have low quality in general.
    We also have diversity, politics and sports/competition structures that mean most of our stadia are not inter-operable and are idle / under used far too much... We also have a common feeling of entitlement to have a ground on every crossroads and village so the Govt. is being tapped all them time between GAA, FAI, IRFU, Colleges, Schools etc. the pot is being spread thin and it's delivering very bad value for money..
    Regarding the LOI there needs to be some serious investment in getting a few of the Prem. League grounds up to standard and then helping the 1st Div clubs improve over time, Dalyer needs to be redeveloped, Tallaght finished, apart from that I think Drogs, Bray and Wexford need help...
    I'd love to see a few proper grounds being built to secure the future of clubs into the future... cant expect people to hand over hard earned money to go into kips... putting people in kips doesn't encourage good behaviour either..
    I see the GAA are making noises about a stadium on the M50 to serve Meath, Louth, Kildare and Wicklow (I think) it's not a bad idea and it uses money efficiently... We need some leadership (Heaven help us) to sort this out
    innit though??

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    This is it. It's criminal that Shels, Drogheda, Bohs and Derry, for all the money they ****ed away in the 2000s, did very little to upgrade their grounds. Between them, since 2000, they've added the Jodi Stand, the Lego Stand in Tolka and that's about it? Then you've the problems with Dundalk not being able to upgrade it seems. Cork in fairness have done a lot of work to Turner's Cross and turned it into a very nice ground, but obviously it's still sub-par.
    You're missing the point. If you were living in a rented property would you spend your hard earned money renovating the landlord's property and pay rent as well? Same principle applies here. Well at least in my mind.

Shels: Tolka Park is owned by DCC but the lease is held by a third party. Apparently DCC want Shels to move to Dalymount and they take back the lease.

Drogheda: United Park owned by the FAI. Enough said.

Bohs: Lost the run of themselves and now owned by DCC.

Derry: Owned by the local council and to be redeveloped.

Dundalk: Owned by the Casey family. Will be interesting to see what happens with the lease and will there be any renovations carried out.

Cork: owned and developed by the Munster FA. Cork are just paying tenants.

In general what sees to happen is a club is successful for a period, money is generated and then spent/wasted on chasing success. The only exception in recent years is the Showgrounds. But then ownership is not a problem for the Bo'R. They sorted it out 40 years ago.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    Rovers had to put in a temporary Stand for the Group games though or it wouldn't have met the standard
    A question. Why did you need the temporary seats? Was it a category 4 requirement for the group games - 8,000 seats? Category 3 is 4,500 seats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    You're missing the point. If you were living in a rented property would you spend your hard earned money renovating the landlord's property and pay rent as well? Same principle applies here. Well at least in my mind.
    So landlord and club sit down and arrange something of mutual benefit.

Some of the council rents are going to be nominal too. Wasn't it Waterford that were getting their ground for at most a grand a year? So hardly holding them back developing their ground (and in fairness, someone's added a new stand recently)

I still think the clubs mentioned should have had a plan for ground improvements years ago, when they were flashing the cash. Drogheda paying thousands to Ibrahima Thiam and they couldn't clean their jacks like. That's a nonsense priority.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I think we pay the most for our ground and that shows in the development of the stadium over the past 15-20 years.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    So landlord and club sit down and arrange something of mutual benefit.

Some of the council rents are going to be nominal too. Wasn't it Waterford that were getting their ground for at most a grand a year? So hardly holding them back developing their ground (and in fairness, someone's added a new stand recently)

I still think the clubs mentioned should have had a plan for ground improvements years ago, when they were flashing the cash. Drogheda paying thousands to Ibrahima Thiam and they couldn't clean their jacks like. That's a nonsense priority.
    You have to apply a bit commercial reality to this. Take Drogheda, would you fancy trying to deal with the FAI? Go out, raise a load of money and pump it into United Park. For what? You'll never own the place and no doubt you'll have security of tenancy problems down the road when the clubs gets into difficulty, as all clubs do every so often.

I don't know what rent Waterford are paying but it's clear from their accounts that they have not spent one € on the RSG. And its not their ground.

Your reference to the 'jacks' is a fair point and is a H&S matter if nothing else.

All these arguments about developing grounds always comes back to money or rather the lack of it within the LOI and the ability to generate sufficient amounts.

And when you're dealing with politicians it's all about votes. There's more votes in redeveloping Pairc Ui Chaoimh than United Park. it's known as cost/vote/benefit analysis.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I think we pay the most for our ground and that shows in the development of the stadium over the past 15-20 years.
    I was told the rent figure by a committee member of the MFA about three years ago and it would go nowhere near the cost of the development gone into TX. That was a conversation I had with an in-law of a very good mate.

And I'm not bitching, I firmly believe that in order for the LOI to develop then LOI supporters have to start looking at the financials of their club, understand them and work within the constraints to develop the club and the LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    A question. Why did you need the temporary seats? Was it a category 4 requirement for the group games - 8,000 seats? Category 3 is 4,500 seats.
    Yes it's 8,000 min capacity for a Cat 4 stadium. I assume Tallaght passes all the other requirements aswell?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Slow day at work, I have been going around a few clubs via wiki, who have rented from their municipality or government. All seem to be taking the approach, at a cheap cost. I'll do up the list when I get time, but here is Partizni who are also in the 3rd round of the CL:
    "On 9 March 2016, the Albanian government agreed to a 99-year, €1 lease of the 37,000m2 Military Base 4030, located on Myslym Keta Road on the outskirts of Tiranë, which is where Partizani will build their new training complex as well as their proposed 4,500 seater stadium"
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast