Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions League 2016-17

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think they'd be in the middle maybe, along with PSG. Leverkusen and Benfica would have probably been numbers one and two with Real and Bayern the ones to avoid. I wonder though would they have been as well off with a nice glamour tie when they'll more than likely be knocked out anyway. They didn't get to play any real powerhouse in the groups, Porto's historical European credentials notwithstanding. Maybe I'm making too big an assumption that they won't beat Sevilla though.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Knockout stages. Decent draw for Leicester.

Manchester City v Monaco
    Real Madrid v Napoli
    Benfica v Borussia Dortmund
    Bayern Munich v Arsenal
    FC Porto v Juventus
    Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid
    Paris St-Germain v Barcelona
    Sevilla v Leicester
    Arsenal top their group for the first time in a number of years and are rewarded with a game against.....Bayern Munich

Predictions: Monaco
    Real Madrid
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bayern Munich
    Juventus
    Atletico Madrid
    Barcelona
    Sevilla
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Hard to argue with those, bar maybe Man City beating Monaco but I wouldn't back them with your money. I think Arsenal should put it up to Bayern as well this time.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Hard to argue with those, bar maybe Man City beating Monaco but I wouldn't back them with your money. I think Arsenal should put it up to Bayern as well this time.
    I'd back them with your money anytime, only I don't bet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Article in yesterday's Daily Telegraph that PSG intend to rule the football world within a couple of years. After yesterday's result, they mightn't have to wait that long.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Barca were atrocious though, it was like they only had 7 or 8 players on the field.

It might sound crazy, but beating a team playing like that 4-0, whether that team is Barcelona or not, doesn't actually make me think they are contenders for the title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah I see what your saying but I think it looks fairly open now. Bayern are the favourites and they don't look anywhere near as strong as they once were. Real Madrid have stuttered a bit lately and it's a notoriously difficult competition to retain in its current format. I'd probably have Atletico, Juve & PSG next in line and maybe Dortmund, but they're probably not strong enough defensively and are on the ropes a bit after last night themselves.

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Barca might come back though, or is that crazy talk? If PSG score it surely curtains but, if not, who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Arsenal humbled again.

I think the post mortem into their performances is unmerited - there is just a huge gulf in quality.

There were some individual mistakes, but their being dismantled by Bayern was quite predictable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Arsenal humbled again.

I think the post mortem into their performances is unmerited - there is just a huge gulf in quality.

There were some individual mistakes, but their being dismantled by Bayern was quite predictable.
    Football is all about making money really. Every year Arsenal qualify and that seems to be the limit of their ambition. Qualifying is as important it would appear as winning the league. Mourinho is bemoaning the fact that Man U are in the last 32 of a competition they should have a good chance of winning when he'd sooner be trying to qualify for the CL. I thought sport was about trying to win things rather than making money but perhaps I am just a bit naive.

Old George H was at it again. It was only 1-0 to Bayern at the time and he was talking as if the game was over when there was another "Danger here" moment and much to his shock it was suddenly 1-1. In all his years he still hasn't grasped that no matter how dominant one side is, there is always the possibility that the other might score. As it happens Bayern pulled away but it was so typical that Arsenal scored just as he was waxing lyrical about Bayern. I still haven't forgiven him for the Bulgaria v Scotland commentary in 1987 when, with 5 minutes to go, he was saying we should all start getting out our German travel books and 10 seconds later the Bulgars hit the post.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Old George H was at it again. It was only 1-0 to Bayern at the time and he was talking as if the game was over when there was another "Danger here" moment and much to his shock it was suddenly 1-1. In all his years he still hasn't grasped that no matter how dominant one side is, there is always the possibility that the other might score. As it happens Bayern pulled away but it was so typical that Arsenal scored just as he was waxing lyrical about Bayern. I still haven't forgiven him for the Bulgaria v Scotland commentary in 1987 when, with 5 minutes to go, he was saying we should all start getting out our German travel books and 10 seconds later the Bulgars hit the post.
    I forget which important game it happened in, but seeing as how we survived a grade 1 George Hamilton jinx late on in that game, I think our team has developed a natural immunity since.

The Madrid v Napoli game was a joy to watch, quality football for the 90 minutes. Napoli have a good bit of Bielsa influence in their style of play, unfortunately it's a big ask for them to come back from 1-3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Regular readers know how much I detest FC Hollywood but I have to say I enjoyed watching them dismantling that shambles of a team.

Lahm's ball into Lewandowski for his header was a thing of beauty. What a player he has been. A delight to have witnessed they career.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Coquelin shepherding Robben in onto the left foot!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Thought Coquelin was unfairly slated for that. It obviously wasn't a great piece of defending, but shepherding Robben in on his left foot is something some much better defenders are guilty of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I thought it was atrocious to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Mourinho is bemoaning the fact that Man U are in the last 32 of a competition they should have a good chance of winning when he'd sooner be trying to qualify for the CL. I thought sport was about trying to win things rather than making money but perhaps I am just a bit naive.
    Mourinho might be moaning about the inevitable fixture pile up but he certainly can't be accused of not trying to win things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Aguero getting booked for diving tonight will be a controversial one.

I think it was a dive, but I think I'll be in the minority.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    • The Monaco goalkeeper looks exactly like Stephen Henderson.
    • Bernardo Silva is a joy to watch.
    • Kevin De Bruyne is also a joy to watch.
    • Falcao has fairly mixed the horrid with the sublime. Badly at fault for the City equaliser but what an exquisite finish to restore Monaco's lead.
    • How is Stones remotely worth what City paid for him?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Aguero getting booked for diving tonight will be a controversial one.

I think it was a dive, but I think I'll be in the minority.
    Thought ir was a dive myself too.

He does clip the keeper's leg on the way down, but that's different to the keeper clipping Aguero's leg.

Daft stuff from him I though. Great game though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Shocking game of football for this level really, great entertainment obviously but really atrocious stuff. Monaco looked savage at times in the first half but unfortunately they couldn't mix it up and batten the hatches when they needed to. I think most centre backs would look as poor as Stones with that setup and that manager, lamb to the slaughter.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I switched over to the manchester game after Atletico M. went 2 up V BL.
    The defending in the MC v Monaco game was simply atrocious, no doubt there was a big wtf element for Man City fans to see their team score the last 3 goals.
    Now MC are 1.99 goals ahead in the tie, I don't think that will be enough, traditionally Monaco defend better at home (verified fact).
    It would be big for the French league to have 2 teams in the last 8.

In form Juve away to inform Porto tomorrow night, a draw?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Echo the sentiments on here all round. A shocking but entertainment game. Falcao's chip was wonderful. Just had me swooning.

And like TOWK I was taken aback by the joy of Bernardo Silva.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast