Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions League 2016-17

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I also forgot to mention the 4 minutes extra time that turned in to 5, presumably added on for the penalty ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Adn there's teh fact that PSG completed 4 passes from the 88th min onwards... 3 of which were kick-offs.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The 5 - 10 minutes near the end of the first and second half was just perfect genius football from Barca.
    It's a simplistic analysis that PSG just collapsed didn't know how to prepare their team to defend a 4 nil lead, when they were psychologically terrorised into making mistakes by a relentless attacking football from 3 of the best players on the planet.
    That's a far more simplistic analysis I think.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    That's a far more simplistic analysis I think.
    The simple truth is that you're biased against many things Barca, well beyond the point of irrationality to have an intense dislike, therefore your opinions on Barca have to be taken with doses of salt.
    Barca were awesome last night from beginning to end, from the back to the front, as were their fans for the whole game.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I also forgot to mention the 4 minutes extra time that turned in to 5, presumably added on for the penalty ?
    Officially there were 5 minutes of extra time.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    For a team that had to overcome a 4-0 deficit, Barca were absolutely outstanding. When the PSG goal went in, it was curtains but they still managed to get the goals they needed to go through. Sure they gave up chances, they were always going to. To downplay the achievement and performance though is actually laughable.

And it was a definite penalty. Marquinhos and Meunier should hang their heads in shame, couldn't handle the Barca players at all and resorted to stupidity. Marquinhos practically crawled on all fours to get in the way of and take out Suarez for the second penalty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    The achievement will stand the test of time, there's no disputing that. And of course any team that overturns that sort of deficit deserves an awful lot of credit. Like them or loathe them, everybody accepts that Barcelona have been a brilliant footballing side with incredible players over the past decade or so.

Last night's game and this tie generally can be analysed/discussed on it's own merits though and I wouldn't really agree with much of yourself or Geysir's versions of how things unfolded. It seems to me like ye've been swept away by the drama of it all, laughable really for two foot.ie stalwarts.

I've seen Barcelona play a lot better than they did last night and I think they were gifted an awful lot, both through PSG's incompetence and that of the referee. Despite my irrational (and intense - apparently) dislike for them I thought the first penalty was the right decision, although a lot of neutral observers think it was a clear dive, that Neymar initiated the contact. I can't agree with you on the second one, the defender got himself into a poor position but there's just no way that's a penalty in my book. Not even close.

And without it - the majestic comeback falls a fair bit short one would have to assume... no tears of joy, no talk of 'more than a club', no Pique tweets of how the Catalan hospitals will need to hire extra nurses in nine months time... just a sombre feeling of regret and anti-climax followed by a post-mortem, analysing their shortcomings and how they left themselves too much to do after their shambolic showing in the first leg. Small margins.

I thought Messi and Suarez were relatively average on the night, especially by their own high standards. I don't think PSG were remotely terrorised for twenty-five minutes after Cavani scored, psychologically or otherwise. The two goals in the first half were really atrocious concessions from a Paris point of view and little to do with Barca genius.

None of that matters anyway, the simple fact remains that they won 6-5 on aggregate and are through to the quarter finals. Fair play to them, but we don't have to all agree that it was purely magical and that there were no other contributory factors to help the stars align for them to pull it off. If going through those finer details in an objective way appears to downplay the achievement, then so what.

P.S. - Did you get early release for good behaviour?
    Last edited by DeLorean; 09/03/2017 at 10:24 PM.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Fair enough! Would be boring if we all saw things the same way.

I was just banned from the Current Affairs forum. Sad!

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    The achievement will stand the test of time, there's no disputing that. And of course any team that overturns that sort of deficit deserves an awful lot of credit. Like them or loathe them, everybody accepts that Barcelona have been a brilliant footballing side with incredible players over the past decade or so.

Last night's game and this tie generally can be analysed/discussed on it's own merits though and I wouldn't really agree with much of yourself or Geysir's versions of how things unfolded. It seems to me like ye've been swept away by the drama of it all, laughable really for two foot.ie stalwarts.
    Not laughable at all
    Far from being scientific, but I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of players, ex-players, managers and ex managers were swept away by the drama that unfolded.
    As Didi Hamman said "I've still got goosebumps now"
    "I've never seen anything like that and I'll never see anything like that again.
    "They had to come back twice"

I've seen Barcelona play a lot better than they did last night and I think they were gifted an awful lot, both through PSG's incompetence and that of the referee. Despite my irrational (and intense - apparently) dislike for them I thought the first penalty was the right decision, although a lot of neutral observers think it was a clear dive, that Neymar initiated the contact. I can't agree with you on the second one, the defender got himself into a poor position but there's just no way that's a penalty in my book. Not even close.

And without it - the majestic comeback falls a fair bit short one would have to assume... no tears of joy, no talk of 'more than a club', no Pique tweets of how the Catalan hospitals will need to hire extra nurses in nine months time... just a sombre feeling of regret and anti-climax followed by a post-mortem, analysing their shortcomings and how they left themselves too much to do after their shambolic showing in the first leg. Small margins.

I thought Messi and Suarez were relatively average on the night, especially by their own high standards. I don't think PSG were remotely terrorised for twenty-five minutes after Cavani scored, psychologically or otherwise. The two goals in the first half were really atrocious concessions from a Paris point of view and little to do with Barca genius.
    In the words of Verratti, post game
    "We knew that all the players of Barcelona were better than us, all we had to do was play as a team, play together."
    Il Barcellona ci ha costretto a giocare così bassi, "Barca forced us to play this bad"

Del, when it comes to Barca, it's sour grapes topped with bitter lemon.
    Laughable really

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I really don't care enough to be compromised by personal preferences, and I've zero affection for PSG in any case. But believe that if you like.

Re: Hamman - "I've never seen anything like that and I'll never see anything like that again."

Istanbul 2005?? - Okay they didn't have to come back twice but it surely falls in the same ball park, and far more significant in many respects (i.e. the rank outsiders making the comeback, actually winning the trophy as a result against all the odds, not only on the night but from the outset). Deportivo winning the 2nd Leg 4-0 against Milan a year or two previously also, having lost 4-1 at the San Siro.

Give me a break Didi.

Re: Veratti - saving face maybe? It appears better for them if the praise is just heaped on Barca. His fans obviously don't agree with his take on things. - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39226413
    Last edited by DeLorean; 10/03/2017 at 10:27 AM.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    DeL you are a leading light in this anti-Barca faction. Mes que un poster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I like Ewan Murray anyway. I was saving that article for my train journey later.

Barca's cheating is not new. And that's before we get into the scientific enhancements that they allegedly utilise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    In fairness I thought the article was a bit pretentious (from an English players are whiter than white point of view).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I haven't read it yet. But that is usually the angle that's taken, or it's the angle I assume is behind any article or discussion by an English journalist on diving.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Fair enough! Would be boring if we all saw things the same way.

I was just banned from the Current Affairs forum. Sad!
    Oh, the referee was clearly in Barca's pocket.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 11/03/2017 at 12:00 AM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Oh, the referee was clearly in Barca's pocket.
    If he was why did he allow PSG kick the ball away on at least 5 occasions without showing a card.

The 2nd penalty when being seen live, looked like a penalty. Hamilton shouted "penalty" I think but the guy behind the goal would have had a better view but I agree it wasn't one.

Can anyone tell me why Barca is "more than a club" ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Because they see themselves as the embodiment of all that is good about Catalonia and Catalan Nationalism. Not to mention how they and their members put it up to Franco and (his team RM) in the Civil War.

It's guff.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. - https://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/ide...e-than-a-club-

I don't take any notice of the slogan itself really, pretentious or otherwise. Every club is 'more than a club' to their own supporters.

It's a bit cringing when neutral observers get reeled in by it though, I'm looking at you Liam Brady.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    A missed penalty from Sevilla and the Leicester fans can feel it. Nasri sent off.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast