Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions League 2016-17

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Right. I still don't really understand how it's rich for Bayern's fans to protest about the prices though?
    They could well dislike their own "home" ticket process but the differential to what is available at the Allianz and the Emirates isn't that huge. Just seems moany. Plus I hate Bayern.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    It's not like I'd miss anything at the Nou Camp...

Grr.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Jesus Christ.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It was so unbelievable I just watched that last 10 minutes happen without any emotion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I'm disgusted here. Naturally.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Knowing that, just adds to the pleasure.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Just for you Bonnie (the fat lady sure sings)

Last edited by geysir; 08/03/2017 at 9:18 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Hopefully Bayern and Barca are kept apart in the draw to prolong BS's angst.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Hopefully Bayern and Barca are kept apart in the draw to prolong BS's angst.
    We have the horrible spectre of them getting each other and possibly meeting Man City in a SF. The worst of all worlds.

Almost as bad as the SF lineup this year...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_A...l_Championship

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    We have the horrible spectre of them getting each other and possibly meeting Man City in a SF. The worst of all worlds.

Almost as bad as the SF lineup this year...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_A...l_Championship
    A SF line-up of Bayern, Barca, Man City and Sporting Fingal would be something else.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    A SF line-up of Bayern, Barca, Man City and Sporting Fingal would be something else.
    I'd explode.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    That was remarkable. Don't think I've ever seen a comeback quite like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Well you haven't in the champions league. Wasn't City's game a couple of weeks ago V Monaco the greatest ever?

It was gash defending that more or less gave us both games. The over egging of it as a game is beyond a joke.

Anyway, only a week now before Man City and Pep's tactical nous out think Monaco...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'm with BS. I'm looking forward to the proper games that will inevitably include Ateltico, Juve and other such teams that appreciate the art of defending instead of these sh!te-fest 'classics'.

The second penalty decision leaves a very sour taste I think, pathetic stuff from an official at that level. Without that they're probably falling two goals short of this remarkable comeback, fuelled with character and inspiration.

I think the fella behind the goal got the first one right though, it only looks a penalty from one angle (not his) but it is pretty clear from that angle - the one to Neymar's back.

Neymar was incredible to be fair, his performance was the bigger story of the night for me. The composure and class to weight that final pass so perfectly (with his 'weaker' foot) was amazing.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 09/03/2017 at 7:58 AM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    The stuff about character, belief, inspiration, never-say-die attitude and all that is really over-egging it.

From the point Cavani scored until the 88th minute Barca didn't have much of that. They'd pretty much run out of ideas and given up. Even the freekick had the air of a consolation to it I thought.

Still, no sympathy for PSG really. To give away such a lead twice is unforgivable.

And Barca will come up against somebody else who will exploit their weaknesses without consequently caving in.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    The thing with Barca is that they can outscore anybody, obviously enough. They beat Atletico on a regular basis despite losing two CL knock-out ties against them. They could have beaten Juve by a much larger margin two years ago, even if they were lucky to get over the line in the end. The likes of Bayern and Dortmund probably won't be able to cope with them defensively, unless Bayern have stabilised in that regard under Ancelotti maybe?

Real Madrid are probably best equipped to beat them, as they have the firepower but aren't totally clueless defensively.

The quarter final draw will be intriguing.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 09/03/2017 at 8:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I'm with BS. I'm looking forward to the proper games that will inevitably include Ateltico, Juve and other such teams that appreciate the art of defending instead of these sh!te-fest 'classics'.

The second penalty decision leaves a very sour taste I think, pathetic stuff from an official at that level. Without that they're probably falling two goals short of this remarkable comeback, fuelled with character and inspiration.

I think the fella behind the goal got the first one right though, it only looks a penalty from one angle (not his) but it is pretty clear from that angle - the one to Neymar's back.

Neymar was incredible to be fair, his performance was the bigger story of the night for me. The composure and class to weight that final pass so perfectly (with his 'weaker' foot) was amazing.
    Was he incredible? I mean he did some nice things at the end but before the fourth goal he was wandering around and making last -ditch half-hearted tackles. Second penalty was desperate. But when Ter Stegen fell over and the referee inexplicably went back for a free kick you could almost smell the goal coming. I just knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    The stuff about character, belief, inspiration, never-say-die attitude and all that is really over-egging it.

From the point Cavani scored until the 88th minute Barca didn't have much of that. They'd pretty much run out of ideas and given up. Even the freekick had the air of a consolation to it I thought.

Still, no sympathy for PSG really. To give away such a lead twice is unforgivable.

And Barca will come up against somebody else who will exploit their weaknesses without consequently caving in.
    Absolutely no sympathy for PSG. That tie could have been killed off early enough and possibly turned into an embarrassment for the most honorable of clubs. Ah well... Luis Enrique... genius.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    The things I found interesting about that game were, apart from the obvious comeback:

a) The usual stuff of the team with the large advantage after the first leg half-thinking psychologically that the job is done and paying the consequences.
    b) The PSG manager pacing up and down the sideline like a changed animal. I have to say I felt for him, especially after the excitement of the magical "away goal".
    c) The well drilled Barca ball boys/girls who had the ball back in play almost immediately. Kept the momentum going.
    d) George H, not unnaturally this time, writing Barca's obituary with 10 minutes to go. If I had the courage of my convictions I should have immediately placed an online bet.
    e) I'd hate to be a referee immediately being pounced on by swarming and sdnarling players of the team against whom he has made a decision.
    f) And most important of all, we are without Robbie Brady for the Wales' game because he kicked away the ball. PSG blatantly did that on at least 5 occasions without punishment. It was unbelievable. I think because they got away with it the first time they kept doing it.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    The thing with Barca is that they can outscore anybody, obviously enough. They beat Atletico on a regular basis despite losing two CL knock-out ties against them. They could have beaten Juve by a much larger margin two years ago, even if they were lucky to get over the line in the end. The likes of Bayern and Dortmund probably won't be able to cope with them defensively, unless Bayern have stabilised in that regard under Ancelotti maybe?

Real Madrid are probably best equipped to beat them, as they have the firepower but aren't totally clueless defensively.

The quarter final draw will be intriguing.
    I would love to see Monaco go at Barca just for the thrill.

---

At least Dortmund are through eh geysir?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The 5 - 10 minutes near the end of the first and second half was just perfect genius football from Barca.
    It's a simplistic analysis that PSG just collapsed didn't know how to prepare their team to defend a 4 nil lead, when they were psychologically terrorised into making mistakes by a relentless attacking football from 3 of the best players on the planet.
    PSG missed a one on one, hit the post, finally did score and at that point in time Barca were dead and buried, but after nailing Barca's coffin shut for a second time. PSG had to encounter their GUBU.

From what I've seen, Real Madrid would have to be the favourites and have the best balanced team, probably Bayern are closest to them.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast