Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions League 2016-17

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Nothing to be embarrassed about according to Rodgers. [After losing 1-0 to Gibraltar's Lincoln Red Imps]
    BBC Sport: Barcelona 7-0 Celtic: No embarrassment in result, says Brendan Rodgers
    You'd have to ask yourself then, is there such a thing as an embarrassing result?

2. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    What always interests me is how Barca are able to press much better than any other club. Even the likes of Arsenal can't keep the ball against them. Why is that ?

Looking at the stats, Barca had only 10 shots and scored 7. Not a bad conversion rate.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think it's a natural result of them retaining possession for so long themselves. If you're without the ball for long periods of time there's much more pressure to retain it when you do eventually win it back, particularly when Barca press as well as they do. Arsenal are used to playing against teams that allow them to have the ball as well, even most of the better sides in England play counter attacking football against them.

There aren't many (any?) teams that try to retain possession against Barcelona now either, they all try to soak it up and hit them on the break, even Real Madrid. They're a difficult team to press because they're so comfortable getting out of tight spots and then expose the inevitable gaps that would open further up the pitch. In short, they're just a lot better at keeping the ball, and a lot better at pressing, than Arsenal are.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Looking at the stats, Barca had only 10 shots and scored 7. Not a bad conversion rate.
    In fairness, they were walking the ball into the net at times. Messi's second was a futsal goal.

Iniesta's goal and Suarez' first were superb finishes of course.

Celtic could wlel be on course for the worst CL group record ever; a poor team in a nasty group. Currently it's Dinamo Zagreb's record - no points, three scored and 22 conceded. Only two sides have failed to score in the group stages - Maccabi (who only conceded 8 in losing all their games) and Depor (the year they knocked out Shels), though I think Celtic will at least score one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Will the money be worth the embarrassment?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Well it's not as if Rangers can slag them - so yeah, I guess so.

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Dundalk had beaten Legia and were facing Dortmund tonight, with a trip to the Camp Nou to come...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think Dundalk would have been pretty much exempt from embarrassment, given the scale of such an achievement in the first place. Different story for Celtic, given their history, both recent and distant.

They're still better off being there than not though, it keeps them (and Scottish football) on the map a bit. Even with hindsight, I wouldn't have wanted Ireland to have not qualified for Euro 2012 just because they were hammered in the tournament itself. It's still better than not being there at all and there's always the hope you'll give it a better go the next time, which proved to be the case.

Dundalk's victims BATE would be a decent example of how a small team can progress from year to year. I don't think anybody was really laughing at them but they were conceding some wreckless scorelines in the 2014/15 competition, albeit accompanied by one really brilliant result. The experience overall seemed to serve them well and they were much more competitive a year later. I suppose to progress you need to take that first step, it's a shame Dundalk didn't quite manage it.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    'Leicester stun Brugge to win their first Champions League game' is the headline on the BBC website. Hardly that stunning considering the Premier League's 4th placed side hammered Brugge 7-1 on aggregate in the qualifying round last season.

Then again, their two headlines yesterday were... 'Rooney left out of Man Utd squad' and 'Aguero returns for Man City', ignoring the likeliness that being left out of the Europa League was probably a show of faith more than a punishment and Aguero was obviously going to play in a game he's not actually suspended for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well it's not as if Rangers can slag them - so yeah, I guess so.

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Dundalk had beaten Legia and were facing Dortmund tonight, with a trip to the Camp Nou to come...
    They would have replaced Rostov as the lowest ranked team (and in this fantasy would have been drawn out like them) and therefore would have been in the group with Bayern, Atletico and PSV. Rostov lost 5-0 last night to the Evil Empire. Dundalk would have been massacred.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Rostov lost 5-0 last night to the Evil Empire.
    I would never have been mad about Bayern either for some reason but I'm a big Ancelotti fan so I'd be okay with them winning it this season. It would have the added bonus of showing up Guardiola a little too I think. A good little piece on Ancelotti's reign so far here.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Tough night for geysir's Basel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Fair play to Celtic, I couldn't really see them hanging on once they were pegged back the third time but Manchester City seemed to lack real intent, despite being pretty dangerous at the same time. They could end up in a tricky situation yet if they don't take something from the back-to-back games with Barcelona and, say, Monchengladbach managed to win both games against Celtic (or vice versa but can't really see that happening or Celtic getting anything in their final two games anyway). Both Celtic and City will be a bit relieved that Barca came back to win last night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    A slight bit more composure on the ball and that was Celtic's for the taking. They gave the ball away carelessly on a number of occasions and were punished. Some pride restored. Sky pundits seem to think Rodgers would be pleased. I would say before the game he would have taken a draw but having lead three times, he must be disappointed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'd agree if they weren't pretty much hanging on for the final half hour. Obviously he'll have been disappointed to have conceded three times so soon after they scored themselves, but equally Guardiola will be annoyed that City kept conceding after getting themselves back in the game. I felt watching it that there was only going to be one winner the longer it went on, so in that context I think Rodgers will be delighted and as you say, some pride restored. With the other result it gives them a fighting chance of competing for that Europa League spot, which I think would be a big achievement in this group.

Some impressive performances from Celtic players... Tierney, Forrest and obviously Dembele with his two goals. Toure and Brown were excellent in the second half having been chasing shadows as the first half wore on. Has Griffiths fallen out of their best XI with the emergence of Dembele? Must be tough to take for a guy that seems to have been carrying them for the last year or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I think Griffiths is just on the way back from an injury.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I would never have been mad about Bayern either for some reason but I'm a big Ancelotti fan so I'd be okay with them winning it this season. It would have the added bonus of showing up Guardiola a little too I think. A good little piece on Ancelotti's reign so far here.
    I too have a soft spot for Ancelloti. But Bayern are absolute filth so they can suck it as far as I'm concerned.

If Dortmund or Atletico don't win the Champions League then I'll be unhappy. So prepare for me to be unhappy come May.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    But Bayern are absolute filth so they can suck it as far as I'm concerned.
    What's your major gripe with them? Other than the obvious financial muscle they have in Germany.

I wouldn't give Dortmund much hope but you couldn't rule Atletico out. I'll be reasonably okay with anybody outside of Barca winning it this time. Ancelotti moving clear on four wins as a manager would soften the blow of Bayern winning it. Surprising that Bob Paisley's record has survived so long really, and he rattled his three off in four years!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    It's the obvious financial muscle and the impunity with which they wield it. Constantly tapping up of players.

The ballix with Götze before their Champions League Final with Dortmund shouldn't have happened and the rest.

Plus the transgressions of Ruminegge and Beckenbauer just makes you know that there's a rotten core there that will explode forth soon enough. Hopefully. (I know it won't)

But yeah, I'd have them winning it over City, Barca or Real it has to be said.

Admittedly the CL has completely slipped off my radar re interest these days. Hard to get in anyway excited about the same teams constantly playing each other inevitably in the latter stages of a competition.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Admittedly the CL has completely slipped off my radar re interest these days. Hard to get in anyway excited about the same teams constantly playing each other inevitably in the latter stages of a competition.
    Leicester City aside and Crusaders up north, is that not pretty much the way of it in most leagues/cups around the world? Same old, same old...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Leicester City aside and Crusaders up north, is that not pretty much the way of it in most leagues/cups around the world? Same old, same old...
    True enough I suppose in the grand scheme but it's the manner of these dominations'. There's precious little hope. Even if there was a clear favourite every year most teams think "this could be our year". These days the hope and joy is fraining from the game.

Barca v City on tonight now... Who cares? Can both lose?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast