Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Champions League 2016-17

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Yeah, nothing needs saying wrt Dortmund.

I thoroughly enjoyed Juventus v Barcelona. As you say, a goal for Barcelona would have changed it a lot but Buffon saved expertly from Iniesta. I hadn't seen Dybala before.

I love Juventus' stadium. I think they faced criticism (or at least surprise) for limiting capacity in favour of atmosphere rather than maximising seats (take note Arsenal). What a good decision too. Brilliantly atmospheric stadium and Juventus' record there is seriously impressive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I love Juventus' stadium. I think they faced criticism (or at least surprise) for limiting capacity in favour of atmosphere rather than maximising seats (take note Arsenal). What a good decision too. Brilliantly atmospheric stadium and Juventus' record there is seriously impressive.
    was just saying that at home last night. my ideal football stadium

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    The atmosphere was electric. The Italian and German supporters seem to be able to keep the volume levels going all night, similar to the Turkish and Greek teams. The English supporters fade in and out at best. Even Anfield is a library for the majority of games and only comes to life for the really big occasions. Even in those they fade in and out depending on what's happening on the pitch.

Still though, 40,000 is pretty stingy for a club of Juve's size and importance. I wonder if they have the option of increasing it at some point? The biggest thing is that the fans are now right on top of the pitch compared to the old Stadio delle Alpi with the running track around it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I missed the Monaco Dortmund game, I hadn't copped on to early ko time.
    The penalty Bayern won looked very similar to the one Ireland got against Georgia but Bayern didn't have a cool dude in Robbie Keane to dispatch it safely. Great noisy colourful atmosphere in Munchen

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    A distinct lack of cool dudes seems to have cost Bayern the tie tonight.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Considering BM were down to 10 in the 2nd half, Madrid were distinctly cautious about taking advantage. First half was good, the second half was dull as dish water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I thought Real pretty much battered them after Bayern were reduced to ten, chance after chance for fifteen minutes before they eventually took one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    UEFA's insistence that the Dortmund-Monaco game go ahead today was crazy. The incident yesterday - in which lives could very easily have been lost - was clearly an extremely distressing and traumatic one for the entire Dortmund team and staff. How they'd be expected to be mentally right to play a game a day after that, I have no idea.

Nuri Sahin admitted in a post-match interview that his head wasn't even focused on the game earlier until he was already half-way through it: https://twitter.com/ViasatFotball/st...34963281956866

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Crazy alright. I think they should have just refused to play as a club though, instead of giving their individual players the option. That would have put UEFA in an impossible position really and shown up their decision as ridiculous and insensitive, instead of complaining about it after they lost.

11. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    A distinct lack of cool dudes seems to have cost Bayern the tie tonight.
    I'll tell you who cost Bayern: Dunphy. Before the game he said that "Ronaldo was a shadow of his former self". I texted my friends to put money on a Ronaldo hat-trick. Hopefully they didn't because he only scored two.

Poor form for UEFA to ask Dortmund to play a day after they were all almost murdered. I know the calendar gets a bit congested at this time of the year but....
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Crazy alright. I think they should have just refused to play as a club though, instead of giving their individual players the option. That would have put UEFA in an impossible position really and shown up their decision as ridiculous and insensitive, instead of complaining about it after they lost.
    I see UEFA are now claiming they didn't force the clubs to play the game and that the rescheduling decision was made after both clubs were consulted: http://www.the42.ie/borussia-dortmun...38213-Apr2017/

Quote Originally Posted by The42.ie
    A UEFA spokesperson said: “The decision to play the UEFA Champions League match between Borussia Dortmund and AS Monaco FC on Wednesday at 18.45CET was made on Tuesday night at the BvB Stadion Dortmund in cooperation and complete agreement with clubs and authorities.

“UEFA was in touch with all parties on Wednesday and never received any information which suggested that any of the teams did not want to play.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Maybe the lack of communication was between the Dortmund suits and the team management/players.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I thought Real pretty much battered them after Bayern were reduced to ten, chance after chance for fifteen minutes before they eventually took one.
    I had considered Madrid to be the nr 1 team left in the comp and BM nr 2.
    Bayern were pretty much rubbish from the 2nd half ko onwards, even Lahm carelessly the ball away. That's mainly why I thought it was a poor 2nd half, I thought RM should have been able to bury the tie on the night. Battered isn't a word I'd use, RM managed to create a few very good chances in the 2nd half but really only turned the screw after Bayern were obviously all knackered out.
    In the possible event of Lewandowski and Hummels returning, bench Muller, the door has been left open for Bayern to rescue the tie.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I see UEFA are now claiming they didn't force the clubs to play the game and that the rescheduling decision was made after both clubs were consulted: http://www.the42.ie/borussia-dortmun...38213-Apr2017/
    I get the impression that Dortmund did not make their case properly. Their bosses should have got together with Monaco's bosses and agreed together to ask/demand for a postponement, but they didn't. Clearly the players were effected but the plight of the players wasn't fully appreciated until the game progressed. Then they all start moaning to Uefa.

I was reminded of Neil Lennon and how reluctantly his fortitude was appreciated after the the time he turned up to play for NI against Norway in a friendly after receiving death threats, hundreds loudly booing his every touch and a spineless NI manager post game. Lennon still refused to give in and turned up to play in an away fixture and just stood down after he was told his family had received death threats.
    Even after all that, you still had people thinking Lennon brought this all upon himself.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    EL news, excellent refereeing from some Spanish bloke at Lyon v Besiktas this evening. Also he couldn't help himself from offering a genuine consoling gesture towards the Besiktas goalie after he made a howler for Lyon's second.

Not like those nasty rugby refs who just poke fun at players' shortcomings.
    Soccer 6 Rugby -2

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I had considered Madrid to be the nr 1 team left in the comp and BM nr 2.
    Bayern were pretty much rubbish from the 2nd half ko onwards, even Lahm carelessly the ball away. That's mainly why I thought it was a poor 2nd half, I thought RM should have been able to bury the tie on the night. Battered isn't a word I'd use, RM managed to create a few very good chances in the 2nd half but really only turned the screw after Bayern were obviously all knackered out.
    In the possible event of Lewandowski and Hummels returning, bench Muller, the door has been left open for Bayern to rescue the tie.
    I'd agree with your pecking order even if the bookies didn't, Real being number one I mean, not so sure about Bayern being number two.

I think 'battered' is certainly a more accurate word than 'cautious' to describe Real's dominance after the sending off. Sure, ideally, they would have loved to have finished the tie but it wasn't for the lack of ambition. They took complete control, the game was played in Bayern's half and generally pretty close to their goal.

I actually thought it was really impressive by Real, they were still playing a very strong team away from home, even if they did have a numerical advantage.

I checked with the BBC match tracker to see if things unfolded as I had thought and I think it backs up what I'm saying. I've extracted everything of relevance from the time of the sending off until Ronaldo's winner. I think it indicates total dominance in any man's language and but for Neuer and some poor finishing (as opposed to Real's lack of ambition) the tie would be over.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Live Text
    61'
    Dismissal.
    Second yellow card to Javi Martínez (FC Bayern München) for a bad foul.

66'
    Attempt missed. Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid) right footed shot from outside the box is close, but misses to the right from a direct free kick.

69'
    Attempt blocked. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) right footed shot from the right side of the box is blocked. Assisted by Marcelo.

72'
    Attempt missed. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid) header from the centre of the box is too high. Assisted by Marco Asensio with a cross.

73'
    Attempt saved. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid) right footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the bottom right corner. Assisted by Daniel Carvajal.

73'
    Corner, Real Madrid. Conceded by Manuel Neuer.

73'
    Attempt saved. Marco Asensio (Real Madrid) left footed shot from outside the box is saved in the bottom right corner. Assisted by Luka Modric.

75'
    Attempt saved. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) right footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the centre of the goal. Assisted by Karim Benzema.

75'
    Attempt saved. Casemiro (Real Madrid) right footed shot from outside the box is saved in the centre of the goal. Assisted by Karim Benzema.

76'
    Attempt blocked. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid) right footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by Cristiano Ronaldo.

77'
    Goal!
    FC Bayern München 1, Real Madrid 2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the centre of the goal. Assisted by Marco Asensio with a cross.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Chiellini's goal was like a defender's version of the Berbatov "just taking a lie down" volley.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I'd agree with your pecking order even if the bookies didn't, Real being number one I mean, not so sure about Bayern being number two.

I think 'battered' is certainly a more accurate word than 'cautious' to describe Real's dominance after the sending off. Sure, ideally, they would have loved to have finished the tie but it wasn't for the lack of ambition. They took complete control, the game was played in Bayern's half and generally pretty close to their goal.

I actually thought it was really impressive by Real, they were still playing a very strong team away from home, even if they did have a numerical advantage.

I checked with the BBC match tracker to see if things unfolded as I had thought and I think it backs up what I'm saying. I've extracted everything of relevance from the time of the sending off until Ronaldo's winner. I think it indicates total dominance in any man's language and but for Neuer and some poor finishing (as opposed to Real's lack of ambition) the tie would be over.
    After all that tricky like stats waffle, you neglected to appreciate the import of "the door has been left open for Bayern to rescue the tie"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Seeing the refereeing decisions that have went Real Madrid's way in this tie, I am sorely tempted to put a hundred grand on Barcelona overturning the deficit against Juventus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    After all that tricky like stats waffle, you neglected to appreciate the import of "the door has been left open for Bayern to rescue the tie"
    It was insanely naive on my part. I thought that by demonstrating that Real had at least nine shots at goal in a mere eleven minute spell, that it might force you to soften your bizarre stance that they became cautious after the sending off.

Mad game tonight. Poor decisions went against Bayern, marginal ones against Real. Overall I thought the right team went through but you'd like if it could happen without the controversy. Some day soon perhaps.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 18/04/2017 at 11:18 PM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast