Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EPL Season 2016/7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Dermot Gallagher was the referee for the friendly against Russia before World cup 2002, but it was allowed because he was stepping down from full internationals soon after
    Him being English would have been no issue... but as an Ireland supporting Irish immigrant child he probably shouldn't have reffed it.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Him being English would have been no issue... but as an Ireland supporting Irish immigrant child he probably shouldn't have reffed it.
    He's from Ringsend, isn't he?

Mad that he was allowed ref it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    yeah. he's from Ringsend. Discussed it recently on newstalk: http://www.newstalk.com/dermot-galla...eree-interview
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    yeah. he's from Ringsend. Discussed it recently on newstalk: http://www.newstalk.com/dermot-galla...eree-interview
    I saw him sitting behind me at one of the Euro games in France, the Italian one I think, bedecked in an Irish jersey so yes, strange to see him refereeing an Irish game.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Dermot Gallagher was the referee for the friendly against Russia before World cup 2002, but it was allowed because he was stepping down from full internationals soon after
    Maybe the rules for friendlies are a bit more relaxed that for the competitive internationals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Maybe the rules for friendlies are a bit more relaxed that for the competitive internationals.
    Back in the day I have the haziest memory of John Carpenter refereeing an Irish international but I may be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    He's from Ringsend, isn't he?

Mad that he was allowed ref it.
    I didn't get to listen to that on OTB. I was listening to that night's show though but missed the interview. I vaguely remember them saying he moved. But I assumed for years he was a 1st gen child. My mistake.

Ringsend so... Rovers or Shels...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Back in the day I have the haziest memory of John Carpenter refereeing an Irish international but I may be wrong.
    Bit of a nightmare of a memory...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Bit of a nightmare of a memory...
    John's ok as he awarded that penalty to Shamrock Rovers in the 1978 FAI Cup Final - those in the red western part of the country still feel aggrieved about it although I am not sure this video enlightens us much

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Never a peno, not in a million years, he slipped on the mud.

Looks like that was a televised game from 1878.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Never a peno, not in a million years, he slipped on the mud.

Looks like that was a televised game from 1878.
    Handball ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I was wondering who really can do it on a Tuesday night in Stoke? So I checked out the numbers - http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog...28113939187465
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I was wondering who really can do it on a Tuesday night in Stoke? So I checked out the numbers - http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog...28113939187465
    I'd say you'd probably see the same record for Sunderland for most away games anywhere on any day of the week !

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Bye bye Ranieri.

I can understand the decision, but I think he'd earned the right to fight relegation himself.

Above all, he should have been allowed to quit rather than being sacked (though he may have been offered the choice).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    From a Leicester fans' point of view, I suspect that if you offered them a League title and relegation to the Championship, they would bite your hand off compared to a few seasons of Sunderland-like existence in the Premier League. He deserved loyalty after one the biggest sports achievements of the century which every Leicester City supporter will bring with them to their grave. His team is outside the bottom three, which is all a Leicester team should really expect, and in the knock-out phases of the Champions League, which they shouldn't expect. I don't understand the decision which is a disgrace and shows football up as the rotten cesspit that it is and that the only important thing is money.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Here it is:
    Howd you take that photo, hole in the newspaper? Jesus.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    From a Leicester fans' point of view, I suspect that if you offered them a League title and relegation to the Championship, they would bite your hand off compared to a few seasons of Sunderland-like existence in the Premier League. He deserved loyalty after one the biggest sports achievements of the century which every Leicester City supporter will bring with them to their grave. His team is outside the bottom three, which is all a Leicester team should really expect, and in the knock-out phases of the Champions League, which they shouldn't expect. I don't understand the decision which is a disgrace and shows football up as the rotten cesspit that it is and that the only important thing is money.
    Exactly OwlsFan. BBC5 had Kasper Schmeichel on yesterday supposedly to quash talk that the players threw him under a bus. He did everything but. Never directly said anyone approached the owners but described scenarios in which the message could be conveyed. Without any hint of disdain or dissatisfaction he described how the owners are very, and I quote him here, "hands on" and are frequently in direct contact with the playing staff. They come down the training ground etc and sound people out individually on all manner of things according to KS. He never alluded at any point -nor in fairness did anyone put it to him, that there might be something inappropriate about that. Now maybe it's just me and maybe I'm in a shrinking minority but I happen to feel one of the things that's ruining football is the emergence of the "hands on" owner who thinks he's the best pal of the clubs big egos and thinks his decisive business acumen trumps his managers coaching badges.
    Maybe, as a Leeds supporter, I'm hypersensetive to this sort of thing but it struck me it's not a million miles from what KS was describing to Cellino carry-on of phoning your "head coach" in-game to instruct him as to what would remedy your disattisfaction.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Maybe, as a Leeds supporter, I'm hypersensetive to this sort of thing but it struck me it's not a million miles from what KS was describing to Cellino carry-on of phoning your "head coach" in-game to instruct him as to what would remedy your disattisfaction.
    Pretty poor game on Saturday at Elland Road but I suppose you're not complaining. 1-1 might have been a fairer result but with 2 shots on target the whole game, one resulting in a goal and the other a penalty save, not compulsive viewing for the neutral I suspect.

When I compared that to the great performance by Southampton in the League Cup Final, it showed how far behind the Championship teams are. Genuinely (as Miriam O'Callaghan says) felt sorry for the Soton fans. Unlucky to have their first goal chalked off due to an incorrect offside call and pretty much dominated the game with some lovely football but this often happens in football. The team with the better players (e.g. Georgia vs Ireland comes to mind) are sometimes dominated by the better team but the individual ability of some players can overcome that. No doubt that Soton were the better team but Man U had the match winners in their ranks. Will it be another 40 year wait for the Soton fans? Really felt for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah, they were kind of unlucky in their F.A. Cup Final appearance a few years back against Arsenal too I think. Well, I remember James Beattie having a header cleared off the line near the end anyway and not much else.

In terms of the gap between the PL and the Championship, obviously Southampton would be a level above as a solid top half PL team, but the promoted clubs tend to hold their own generally as well?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast