Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EPL Season 2016/7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Anyone ever hear the story of Messi defiantly drinking a can of Coke in front of Guardiola?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Conte bemoans Oscar's China move.

The Stamford Bridge chief revealed Oscar will leave with his blessing, but also accepted football’s ever-increasing battle between ambition and money. “I think the most important thing for us must be the passion. Okay? The passion for football,” said Conte. “If you haven’t got that, it’s no good. No good. I repeat: this concept is very important. Before the money must be the passion, the passion for the sport, for football.

“We started to play when we were children without money, and only for the passion. Then, also, came money but the passion is more important than money, for me.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...ta-435696.html

Funny Conte says this considering how the club he manages essentially bought their Premier League titles and the Champions League. The only reason he's managing that club right now is because they became money rich over night.

At least the Chinese clubs are owned by Chinese people and have a cap on foreign players.

Chelsea are supposed to be an English club, yet it's not unusual for them to put out a team of eleven foreign players.

This is a monster English football has created with the emergence of foreign benefactors and the importance placed on increasing the stock of the English game in places - ironically - like China.

It's all about money. And it has been ever since the Sky era.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 17/12/2016 at 2:00 PM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Pardew gone from Palace. Strange manager. Seems to work the oracle when he starts and then the wheels fall off in a big way after a season. A Geordie friend of mine says he is totally overrated but it won't be long before he gets another job. Then of course "Big Sam" (the man who has never been relegated) probably arrives on the scene. It says a lot about Allardyce that the big clubs won't touch him with a barge pole but is regarded as a relegation expert. Is that something you want to tell your grandchildren? "I never won a major honour but I was never relegated".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Swansea are normally quite good at their managerial appointments but Bob Bradley ? And now Ryan Giggs is the favorite to replace him ? That is a risk for someone who is just used to fighting for trophies and not scrapping away at the bottom.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Obviously it didn't work out but why was Bob Bradley considered such a suspect appointment? Hadn't he done well with the US national team and plenty other experience besides... it's only Swansea we're talking about here, not Real Madrid.

Ryan Giggs would be interesting after all the talk about him but he doesn't have much in the way of credentials from a management perspective, even his stint as assistant manager at United can hardly be deemed a particularly successful one. He's a terrible pundit though, so maybe he could be the reverse of Gary Neville (not that Valencia have improved any bit without him).

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Great win for Everton yesterday. Another nightmare from Bobby Moore.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Think Spurs might have been doing pretty well to miss out on the Olympic Stadium...

Tottenham Hotspur: New stadium images revealed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Think Spurs might have been doing pretty well to miss out on the Olympic Stadium...

Tottenham Hotspur: New stadium images revealed
    a step too far I think...
    ◾A glass-walled players' tunnel allowing people a view of what is happening behind the scenes before a game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    The myopia of football managers never ceases to irritate me. In the Palace game a Palace player tweaks a hamstring and is off the pitch and then decides to roll back on to try and stop the game. Ref ignores him. Allardyce berates the ref. for not stopping the game. FFS. Wenger was at it was well again. So tiresome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Two non-league teams in the last 16 of the Cup. Rather than adding to the glamour of the Cup, it just shows how far down the priorities of managers winning a trophy has become. At least in the old days, a "shock" was a shock when the first team of the lower team beat the first team of the bigger club. Now the lower team is just playing the reserve side of the bigger club.

As for Jeff Stelling and his "giant killing", don't get me started when one pygmy from Div 2 beats another slightly taller pygmy from Div 1 it's described as "giant killing".

End of venting.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I see the FA are taking no chances of a premature glamour club clash and have implemented a Blatter type draw, giving all the epl clubs weaker league division opponents in the 5th round draw.
    To listen to all the hyperbole about the FA cup losing its prestige, you'd think the world of football revolved around epl stalwarts such as Liverpool, Everton, Stoke and WBA. Maybe one day the penny will drop that there are football fans supporting their clubs the length and breadth of England in places like Lincoln, that in all probability have more right to call themselves football supporters than those hordes of whiners and moaners who attach themselves to the branded moneyed clubs.
    Apart from the spectacle of the cup final itself, the main attraction of the FA cup is that the smaller clubs have their day out, just as Shamrock Rovers fans traveled in numbers to Turin, or to White Hart Lane to play Juve and Spurs as equals (of sorts).

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    James Morrison's goal for West Brom is, I believe, the 28th goal scored by a Scot in the Premier League this season compared to 12 goals scored by Irish players.

That is really quite remarkable considering there are probably, roughly, the same amount of players from each country playing on a weekly basis and IRL have more strikers (Walters, Long).

At least one of Morrison, McArthur, Snodgrass or Phillips seem to score each week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    This is even better now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    How is he on television with his stupidity and xenophobia?

He can barely throw a coherent sentence together.

Listen to him.

People would rather manage Watford, Sunderland and Hull than Bayern Munich, PSG and Juventus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Here's a better question for them.

Where are the opportunities for black managers in Great Britain?

*crickets*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    People would rather manage Watford, Sunderland and Hull than Bayern Munich, PSG and Juventus.
    You could pick gaping holes in nearly everything they said. F365 covered it pretty well.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    The question is does anyone really take the pundits seriously ? The screams when the ball goes near the goal! Could you imagine them at home watching the same game. They're probably asleep in front of the TV or in the kitchen having a cup of team or G and T if it's Charlie Nicholas. We are supposed to take Chris Kamara seriously on Sunday hosting "Goals on Sunday" when he is a comic strip reporter at the live games and appears in advertisements dressed up as a woman etc (not that I am knocking dressing up as a woman you understand). It's a show like Eamon Dunphy is. Not worth commenting on really but the F365 response is excellent.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Mark Clattenburg's gone to Saudi. I don't think he's ever reffed an Ireland competitive game. Are English ref's excluded from games involving Ireland because they might have a bias?

I have only been at one game where he was the ref. He officiated the recent Iceland home game against Turkey and he effortlessly orchestrated the whole game from the middle, keeping up a frequent dialogue with players, stopped all the (one sided) diving shenanigans stone dead. He looked like he enjoyed the whole task without trying to be all pally.

If I was going to live in Saudi I'd consider buying a Harley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Dermot Gallagher was the referee for the friendly against Russia before World cup 2002, but it was allowed because he was stepping down from full internationals soon after
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I like Clattenburg's style of refereeing too but he makes a lot of howlers I think.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast