Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EPL Season 2016/7

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    What's Leicester's net spend this season? And what kind of wage bill do they have now? Whatever it is, it's enough that 17th isn't really acceptable, so I understand why the trigger was pulled.

In regards the League Cup Final, definite case of more experienced heads - De Gea, Ibrahimovic, Valencia - making the difference when Southampton generally had the better of play. Saints keeping/defending for all three goals was shocking too, and they were the first they conceded in the EFL Cup apparently? Could yet turn out to be a very good year for Manchester United, if they continue on in the cups and get over the hump of the CPL places in the league. They need Mkhitarian to be fit though, huge difference when he's in the team.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    What's Leicester's net spend this season? And what kind of wage bill do they have now? Whatever it is, it's enough that 17th isn't really acceptable, so I understand why the trigger was pulled.
    how many times did MOTD and Sky highlight the lack of closing down and effort by the Leicester players? do they not watch these things themselves??
    I would love to see players getting the sack rather than just the manager as is so often the case

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    When Ranieri took them over, they were a team which had just avoided relegation. He leaves them as League title winners, outside the relegation zone (when he left) and in the knock out stages of the CL. I don't know about their net spend, but I know that their midfield general N'Golo Kanté was sold to Chelsea which is a huge loss. Disgraceful decision to sack.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    What's Leicester's net spend this season?
    A harmless enough £21.46m according to this.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    The sacking of Ranieri is one of the worst things i have even seen in football for a long long time. FFs Arsenal haven't won the league in what, ten years, and as for Liverpool.....They have just reverted to normality this season

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    It's absurd the amount of credit I have seen Nigel Pearson get for Leicester winning the league.

They wouldn't have come within an arse's roar of qualifying for the Europa League let alone win the PL under him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Pretty poor game on Saturday at Elland Road but I suppose you're not complaining. 1-1 might have been a fairer result but with 2 shots on target the whole game, one resulting in a goal and the other a penalty save, not compulsive viewing for the neutral I suspect.

When I compared that to the great performance by Southampton in the League Cup Final, it showed how far behind the Championship teams are. Genuinely (as Miriam O'Callaghan says) felt sorry for the Soton fans. Unlucky to have their first goal chalked off due to an incorrect offside call and pretty much dominated the game with some lovely football but this often happens in football.
    Not complaining but neither am I under any illusions. Neither team are in the form that's taken them to where they currently stand. The defending was shocking for the goal, the lead up to the penalty and the subsequent corner.

I similarly empathised with the Saints. A trophy that would've meant something real and tangible to them is just something for Mourinho to point to when his detractors come calling.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Hang on, hang on, did not all bar one (Kante) of Leicesters star guys turn down moves to sides they would never have expected to be interested in them in their careers, to stay and play for Ranieri and Leicester not even six months ago ? They,(and in doing so bucked a trend which I feel is destroying modern football) showed remarkable loyalty. Everyone expected Schmeichel, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Vardy and more to go.

Are none of you willing to even consider that from that starting point, to his sacking last week, that Ranieri must have really and repeatedly fupped up, to kill that ? Because he did. And it started with how he was sending them out to play, and setting them up to play, and demanding they change to conservative negative containing football, the opposite of the strength of that group (considerable strength too, strong enough to win a league) And it was downhill from there.

It wasn't just that either, have any of you read how the backroom staff were changed in the off season, one a sports psychologist Ken Way was badly treated. He had been very well regarded by the players, he had earned their trust, and it was known he was getting sacked before he himself was told. It was a Ranieri decision, as were plenty more which sapped the good will from the most beautiful story in sport in my lifetime.

Whatever he achieved last season, he was going to get them relegated this, and he has no one to blame but himself because his actions and decisions made a pigs ear of a title win. It was the correct decision. Its to my mind, lazy uninformed cliched thinking to just blame the dressing room for this and it doesn't stand up to even mild scrutiny.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    A piece from a blog on a Leicester board tonight, which is absolutely on the money regarding the fabricated mock outrage & nonsense around this.

Do they love Claudio - yes, always and forever.
    Do they want a statue of him outside the ground, - yes please.
    Do those who actually regularly watch this side play (me included, been watching them as a neutral since 2002 now) feel he had to go - yes, sadly but absolutely, yes. He fu*ked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Wallace View Post
    If you missed the online bookmakers’ stunt involving a hearse and a flower arrangement that read “RIP football” at the King Power Stadium on Monday night then you were not alone – were the gambling commission also to regulate lame ideas, it would have earned an immediate charge.

Best not to go through the excruciating detail, other than to say that it was supposed to signify what Claudio Ranieri’s sacking meant for the soul of the game because when people look for answers to the big questions of the age, obviously online bookmakers tend to be the first port of call. The response was so underwhelming even the bookies in question, a publicity-ravenous operation, quietly dropped the whole thing.

Not for the first time the mood of football fans was called wrong, and the true answers were to be found by watching the reaction of the Leicester City fans who attended the King Power. There was no mass outpouring of rage at Ranieri’s sacking, rather it was heartfelt thanks for what had been achieved, expressed most notably in the 65th minute when the mobile phone lights were turned on and his song was sung.

There was a march to celebrate Ranieri’s achievements, the occasional homemade A3 message and someone reworked their bedsheet banner to read “Dilly ding dilly wrong” but no-one called for the removal of the owners, the Srivaddhanaprabha family, or proclaimed the end of football as we know it. One week on from the sacking of the manager who steered Leicester to the title and the outrage has largely come from outside the club.

It has come from those who believe that Leicester’s Thai owners should be so eternally grateful for the 2015-16 season that their manager should have stayed indefinitely. Leicester were patronised to death in winning the title and now again in losing it.
    Over and again, we have been told that Ranieri “deserved the chance” to stay at Leicester although four of the five managers who won the six previous Premier League titles have also been sacked or replaced.

It is an interesting question. How low does a title-winning manager deserve to take a team in the following seasons before that nebulous quota of goodwill is extinguished and someone is compelled to say, “Sorry Claudio mate, but we’re out of contention for the Vanarama play-offs, I think it is time to make a change”?

On BBC Five Live’s 606 show, Robbie Savage told a Leicester fan who called in to support the owner, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, that as a player he would have accepted “eight or nine years” in the Championship and “the odd season” in the Premier League in return for that one title.

Funnily enough, if you go back 20 years, including 1996-97, that is roughly what Leicester have done – 10 in the Premier League, 10 in the Championship and one in League One in 2008-09. Even so it goes without saying: exactly from whom is this trade-off available? Because you would be pretty sure that Ipswich Town, among others, would be eager to sign up.

It also begs another question, why should Leicester not have ambition? It is the case that having had their season in the sun they simply must go away and bother no one again, or accept a Blackburn Rovers-style decline.

Leicester never expected to be champions but having done so they are entitled to protect their status even if it means sacking a decent, likeable man.

The notion that Leicester are a nonentity who should simply be grateful is somewhat undermined by their place in the trophy roll call of recent years. If one goes back to 1997, taking into account the three domestic trophies won in that year, and every year since then, the picture is quite striking.

From the 1996-97 season Manchester United have won the most with a combined total of 17 Premier League titles, FA Cups and League Cups. Next come Chelsea (14); Arsenal (9); Manchester City and Liverpool (5) and, in sixth place, are Leicester with three.

Historically they are ahead of clubs such as Tottenham, on two trophies since 1996-97, and Swansea City, Middlesbrough, Blackburn, Birmingham City, Portsmouth and Wigan Athletic, all on one.

It should be said, as politely as possible, that the likes of Everton, West Ham, Southampton, Stoke City, Sunderland, Newcastle United, Aston Villa, West Bromwich Albion – we could go on here – have won none at all in those 21 years.

There is no Leicester fans’ song for Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, the joke being that they keep running out of syllables, but perhaps there should be. It is he who spent around £120 million on the club. He also pledged £2 million towards building a new children’s hospital in the city. He gave £100,000 to the fund to rebury Richard III and £23,000 to a fan who was raising money for research into his son’s rare genetic disorder.

For a billionaire who commutes in a helicopter perhaps it is not such big a deal but it has been remembered, which is why the notion of hounding him out is considered utterly ludicrous. It does not mean he will get it right every time, but he has got it right enough times.

The League Managers’ Association chief executive Richard Bevan said that Vichai’s decision to sack Ranieri had “undermined the profession”, so it will be interesting to hear from all those managers who refuse to work for Leicester on a point of principle. As things stand, Roy Hodgson looks a good bet and he was de facto LMA president for the four years he was England manager.

It is notable that Leicester’s most famous fan, Gary Lineker, described the decision more in terms of the sadness it evoked rather than a sense of injustice. He did say though that Leicester should be building statues fir Ranieri rather than sacking him and of course, the generous Thai owners may yet do that.

In the meantime there are two crowdfunded appeals for Ranieri statues that have been launched by separate groups of Leicester fans, one which quotes its project at £100,000 and the other at a cut-price £10,000.

By lunchtime on Wednesday they had raised £90 and £817 respectively which suggests there are other issues rather more pertinent to Leicester fans than big bronze statements to reassure the rest of the football world they care about Ranieri’s feelings.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    It's absurd the amount of credit I have seen Nigel Pearson get for Leicester winning the league.

They wouldn't have come within an arse's roar of qualifying for the Europa League let alone win the PL under him.
    Can't say I've noticed it to any major degree. He deserves a lot credit for getting them promoted to the Premier League and keeping them there with a brilliant run at the end of the 2014/15 season, which can ultimately be looked back upon as the turn in form that eventually led them to the title.

I'm not sure what tributes you're referencing though so it's hard to know if it's been overblown or not, but he picked up 22 points from a possible 27 in his last nine games there which is Championship winning form in itself, granted over a less relevant time frame.

The likes of Morgan, Simpson, Albrighton, Drinkwater, Vardy, Mahrez and Ulloa were all his signings as well so I think he's obviously an important cog in what eventually happened. I agree that it's highly unlikely they would have won the league under him, but then it was highly unlikely that they would have won it under anybody. I think it's more than fair to say that he set the wheels in motion.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 02/03/2017 at 9:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Interesting posts Crafty. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the sacking, just think that it's sad the way it's panned out, regardless of who's to blame. I remember thinking it was a disgrace when Southampton sacked Nigel Adkins but in stepped Pochettino and they haven't looked back since. Basically I think sitting on the fence is a good place to be with these kind of developments. Clubs and owners will live and die by their actions and if Ranieri's sacking triggers an upturn in Leicester's form and keeps them out of the Championship (where I think they were heading to be honest) then I'll be convinced it was the correct decision. Loyalty only gets you so far and the club has to be put first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Interesting posts Crafty. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the sacking, just think that it's sad the way it's panned out
    I would agree, and that's the overriding sentiment. There is a difference between wanting someone out and regrettably seeing the need to reluctantly change it or play Burton etc instead of Liverpool & co next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post

I don't think you can say that, not to a certainty. It was such anomaly, it's wrong to apply 'what would have happened' to it. And neither have I seen this surge of credit to NP of which you speak, there had been nothing but recognition of CRs remarkable achievement season in my opinion.

What one can say though, and with some degree of confidence is that CRs needless dismantling of the workings and nuts and bolts of the NP regime have coincided directly with this collapse. The side had come from L1 remember, constant season upon season improvement and two promotions. The aspects I particularly refer to are the sports science (in which Leicester were tremendously resourced and forward thinking, a model for others in fact) including the fore mentioned sacking of Ken Way. Recruitment, several dud signings who never impacted first team from CR. Set up, way of playing, completely changed and for what ? Not better results certainly. So there is some residual credit due to NP based on the evidence coughed up by this seasons results as his vision was fully replaced.

On Monday, Craig Shakespeare - a survivor of the NP times - set them up like they used to be set up, like they were signed to play, to their qualities as players and they duly dismantled Liverpool, coincidence or more evidence ? We shall see, it could have been a dead cat bounce result but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it weren't. Interesting to watch what happens next though, definitely.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 02/03/2017 at 2:48 PM.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Spectacular bottle job from Kevin Friend in Man Utd/Bournemouth game. Mings stamps on Ibrahimovic's head, the Swede nails him with an elbow seconds later. Not even a yellow card for either, and he sends some other Bournemouth player off for dissent?

Edit: he actually gave Ibrahimovic a little shove for a second yellow. Bizarre.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 04/03/2017 at 1:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Claudio Ranierwho ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Spectacular bottle job from Kevin Friend in Man Utd/Bournemouth game. Mings stamps on Ibrahimovic's head, the Swede nails him with an elbow seconds later. Not even a yellow card for either, and he sends some other Bournemouth player off for dissent?

Edit: he actually gave Ibrahimovic a little shove for a second yellow. Bizarre.
    The only decision I thought he actually bottled was not giving Arter a second yellow having already sent off a Bournemouth player. He would have been doing well to spot Mings stamp and even better to determine it was deliberate from one viewing. The Ibrahimovic one was probably a bit more clear but again hard to gauge the intent on one viewing, especially when he didn't know Zlatan was seeking retribution. Surman can consider himself unlucky alright but stupid to get involved when he was on a yellow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    The interview by Ibrahimovic afterwards was a joke for the barefaced lies. Firstly he claims he didn't know who trod on him and yet you can see him looking up after the stamp and then the ridiculous comment about Ming heading his elbow. I think there was intent in the stamp for retribution for the stamp by Ibrahimovic in the same incident.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Claudio Ranierwho ?
    The guy who won the league for the first time in their history and lead them to the play off rounds of the Champions League and outside the relegation zone of the EPL when he was sacked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    The interview by Ibrahimovic afterwards was a joke for the barefaced lies.
    Well he was hardly going to tell the truth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    The guy who won the league for the first time in their history and lead them to the play off rounds of the Champions League and outside the relegation zone of the EPL when he was sacked.
    Who would have followed all that with a relegation. Because as I detailed above, soon as he got his tinkering hands and a bit of time on the title winning set up he inherited, he promptly delivered a nosediving tailspin through needless at best and egotistical at worst changes.

Did LCFC owe Ranieri a relegation ? Yes or no answer please. Because that is what was coming.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast