Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: What happened to the 2011 team?

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

What happened to the 2011 team?

Hey all, the last time I watched any team in the League of Ireland it was Shamrock Rovers and your remarkable run in the summer of 2011. It was my understanding that the club received lots of prize money for making the group stages of the Europa League. Is this true? I remember being told at the time by a LOI supporter I ran into here in Canada that the prize money would set the club up for success for many years to come. It appears that Rovers did indeed win the LOI title later that year, but they haven't had much success since. Why is this? The manager got hired by Northern Ireland obviously but what happened to the players from that team, did they all get offered better money over in England or something?

Many thanks for any responses and best of luck in the return leg against Rovaniemen Palloseura tomorrow.
    Last edited by Colbert Report; 05/07/2016 at 6:03 AM. Reason: I've just realized that I posted this in the main forum and not the Shamrock Rovers one, sorry!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Internal battle of wits, hiring and firing managers - some too soon some too late. EL legacy squandered. The 400 club and their chairman cheerleader has since had to suck it up and accept his position of privilage is now with a badly needed investor who is now calling the shots after mismanagement at board level since at least 2012. There wasn't a huge turnover of player after M'ON left but it is said that they weren't too fond of the then new man Stephen Kenny who is on course for 3 in a row with Dundalk, a league and cup double in the bag last season, and a fighting chance with the draw in Champions League being as good as could have been got v Icelandic champions. Be warned Shamrock Rovers fans become a *****ly bunch when asked questions on where did the money go or that Jonathan Roche's dominant position within the membership to be continuously be re-elected as chairman may not have been for the best and hence the democratic model of the 400 club is no more albeit redeemable as or when an interest free loan from the Wilson Family Trust is repaid. €1.5m is the loan, €1m goes to the development of the youth academy and €500k goes to cover day to day running costs shortfall. I'm sure i'll be told im wrong by Calcio....still obsessed!!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 05/07/2016 at 3:27 PM. Reason: stupidity!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    €500m goes to cover day to day running costs shortfall.
    I know they have a fairly big budget, but holy feck.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Ooops!