Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Nuts gone at Rovers

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Another Neil O'Riordan Rovers exclusive. How he gets away with it is beyond me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Glorious stuff. I just hope David Jeffrey is as successful as Trevor Anderson was at Dundalk (apologies to Dundalk fans for the flashback)

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Ashton that was Cork caretaker mgr remind me again when he was caretaker mgr as I cant place him at all!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Ashton that was Cork caretaker mgr remind me again when he was caretaker mgr as I cant place him at all!
    Post Tommy Dunne, pre John Caulfield

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    He took over when Tommy Dunne was sacked in 2013, though in theory Paul O' Brien was in charge for the last few games as Ashton didn't have his Pro licence at the time.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Glorious stuff. I just hope David Jeffrey is as successful as Trevor Anderson was at Dundalk (apologies to Dundalk fans for the flashback)
    Nightmares now for at least a week...that moustache....

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    speaking of Tony Cousins why did he leave Galway Utd in his second season in the top flight?
    Cousins was sacked four games into the 2008 season after three defeats and a draw. To be honest he was already on thin ice from the 2007 season. Granted he had kept us up finishing 8th, but safety was only assured in the second last game. The football on show was wretched compared to the way he set up when in the First Division, it took us until the end of August to win our first game at home. He also squandered a pretty large budget on some very dubious signings- Stephen O'Flynn, Mark Leech, Dimitri Brinias, Chris Armstrong, Yeboah Mensah to name but a few. Also think he may have insisted on the players relocating to Galway when signing (which was only right) but he refused to do so himself.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufc2000 View Post
    Cousins was sacked four games into the 2008 season after three defeats and a draw. To be honest he was already on thin ice from the 2007 season. Granted he had kept us up finishing 8th, but safety was only assured in the second last game. The football on show was wretched compared to the way he set up when in the First Division, it took us until the end of August to win our first game at home. He also squandered a pretty large budget on some very dubious signings- Stephen O'Flynn, Mark Leech, Dimitri Brinias, Chris Armstrong, Yeboah Mensah to name but a few. Also think he may have insisted on the players relocating to Galway when signing (which was only right) but he refused to do so himself.
    He really isn't a people person. Fans just can't take to him even when doing well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Winning games and competing for trophies > than being entertaining but losing
    No evidence to suggest Ashton would not have done that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Winning games and competing for trophies > than being entertaining but losing
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    No evidence to suggest Ashton would not have done that.
    Guess we'll never know now ?
    However we are entertaining, scoring goals & challenging for trophies so maybe JC is the right man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Guess we'll never know now ?
    However we are entertaining, scoring goals & challenging for trophies so maybe JC is the right man.
    Thats a stretch. Particularly away from home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Sullanefc (or more 'Sullenfc with the above comments). Fair play for going against the general opinion among plenty of Cork folk that when playing in Turners Cross they transform in to a lethal tippy tappy Barcelona type team, rather than the direct style i've seen by Cork at home. They wouldn't have a benchmark to assess home performances with away as Cork fans don't like travelling though In fairness they played up to one of their strengths against Dundalk in Cork - physical, tenacious, direct and high tempo and it worked. It was a masterclass by Cork management to nullify Dundalk's attacking game but not a great spectacle to watch unless you are a Cork fan and wouldn't care how Dundalk were beaten!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufc2000 View Post
    A bit unfair to slam him for Armstrong and Mensah, as both picked up season-ending injuries just a few games into their time with us. But splashing a grand a week on Leech - his cousin, if I'm not mistaken - was criminal. And as you said, he insisted on players relocating to Galway but refused to do so himself, which was a bit silly. But ultimately it was the form and displays of the team that cost him his job. Convicted criminal, club CEO Nick Leeson, held a meeting with players demanding better performances considering the money they were getting. That didn't materialise so Cousins got the boot

18. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Never heard anything about Cousins being related to the Leeches, but that doesn't mean it's not true. He's Tommy and Richard Dunne's cousin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Never heard anything about Cousins being related to the Leeches, but that doesn't mean it's not true. He's Tommy and Richard Dunne's cousin.
    Yeah, aware of the Dunne connection, but there is one there with Mick/Mark as well

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Never heard that one about his cousin before, although a lot of people around here reckon that a lot of players we've bought in /sold to/from England have been through his brother who is an agent. Whether that's true or not I have no idea.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Never heard that one about his cousin before, although a lot of people around here reckon that a lot of players we've bought in /sold to/from England have been through his brother who is an agent. Whether that's true or not I have no idea.
    Is that lucrative business?

Are there many players who have been sold by Longford to English clubs?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I'd say that's worked in our favour overall. Selling Don Cowan for €20k and Josh O'Hanlon for €70k was great business. Not like those he brought in would cost much. There are only two or three that he's brought in so far that I can think of. Tom Morris, this Dsane chap, Philip Gannon possibly although he had come home anyway and was on trial at Pats.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    yep Andy Cousins is his brother and is based over there! Tonys dad Jimmy was a scout for the Uk clubs in Ireland.I think that is true but dont forget about Munnellys influence also!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Dave Savage left us for Millwall in 1994 for I think £100k which included increments for Ireland appearances which he made of course! Mick McCarthy was instrumental in his signing as he was Millwall manager and it worked out well for Dave when Mick was Ireland two years later! Think he got three caps for us in the US tour of 96!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345