Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nuts gone at Rovers

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Again? Wasn't aware he was with Rovers before?
    He worked with Liam Tuohy back when he was starting out. May have been his first job actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry 'da' Wyse View Post
    Ian Barraclough in with a shout I wonder?
    If the fans weren't taken with Fenlon's style they're hardly going to get behind Baraclough's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    No one really cares what the football is like when they're winning. O'Neills team were very effective but not great to watch and they were getting huge crowds.
    Oh there were plenty of Rovers who wanted him out as he was winning titles too. 'I've been going to Rovers 40 years but this is the worst I've ever seen us play...' types. As we're beating Partizan Belgrade. Overall you're right though, but the difference is Rovers fans would respond even to a team who create chances but lose. The trouble since MON left is we have these teams who bumble their way creating one or two chances a game.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He worked with Liam Tuohy back when he was starting out. May have been his first job actually.

His 'time in purgatory' as he recently called it, he also tends to refer to Rovers as 'that lot', so I doubt he'll be taking the job

I hope Russell gets the job, terrible manager who can't coach teams on how to defend.
    Here on a technicality.

4. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yeah, he'd never take any job at Rovers unless it was Chief Sabotage Officer. Actually maybe he might take the manager's job.

I'm fairly sure there was some disagreement in his time at Rovers relating to the international teams or something that soured his relationship, and then obviously his association with Pats sealed it.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Cheers Charles. I did not know that and nor did Wikipedia when I went to check.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    New CEO, new members on the board that are not elected by the membership(?), new manager at some point now so all change in Tallaght and it seems the old guard of the 400 club have been broken up somewhat. Going from having an 'A' team in the 1st Division for 3 seasons to binning it after 1. 3 managers in 4 seasons (not including , Glass, Laws and Bailey now), sacking a manager with 2/3 of a season gone to giving the next man almost 2 full seasons, Fenlon almost the same so at least some little consistency here. Paying off managers, paying managers out on gardening leave and bringing a director of football (wierd one this to take on the additional cost, as not as if a desperate ploy was needed to stave off relegation. Croly in, I vaguely remember it was the amount of draws that really did the damage there and also he seemed just too nice to be Rovers manager - not enough of poking opposition managers in the chest! So after giving the job to a young up and coming manager tack is changed with a manager with a track record of winning titles albeit with hefty budgets. So where to now as it seem all angles have been tried. Gary McCabe is constant from SK's time to now so it is obviously all his fault!
    There is the oddity of Croly being M'ONs assistant then, Magilton - was that the club/managers doing or did St Pats want a former club man back on board and then the main job was on offer?

As for the EL money, other threads have shown accounts of cash reserves being decimated over the last 3 years and chunks seem to coincide with managers being payed off...imo! So while the members model was always lauded as a success at Rovers, from the outside it seems as if a group within the members got a stranglehold of the club and seemed untouchable yet there was no cohesive strategy and the people on the board dont seem to be particularly held accountable for all the chopping and changing of direction. Anyway just my wandering thoughts on Rovers toing and froing and not going anywhere fast in any particular direction be it backing youth development ala Rovers A or handing reigns to a manager that's heavy on finances...Paul Doolin.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    New CEO, new members on the board that are not elected by the membership(?), new manager at some point now so all change in Tallaght and it seems the old guard of the 400 club have been broken up somewhat. Going from having an 'A' team in the 1st Division for 3 seasons to binning it after 1. 3 managers in 4 seasons (not including , Glass, Laws and Bailey now), sacking a manager with 2/3 of a season gone to giving the next man almost 2 full seasons, Fenlon almost the same so at least some little consistency here. Paying off managers, paying managers out on gardening leave and bringing a director of football (wierd one this to take on the additional cost, as not as if a desperate ploy was needed to stave off relegation. Croly in, I vaguely remember it was the amount of draws that really did the damage there and also he seemed just too nice to be Rovers manager - not enough of poking opposition managers in the chest! So after giving the job to a young up and coming manager tack is changed with a manager with a track record of winning titles albeit with hefty budgets. So where to now as it seem all angles have been tried. Gary McCabe is constant from SK's time to now so it is obviously all his fault!
    There is the oddity of Croly being M'ONs assistant then, Magilton - was that the club/managers doing or did St Pats want a former club man back on board and then the main job was on offer?

As for the EL money, other threads have shown accounts of cash reserves being decimated over the last 3 years and chunks seem to coincide with managers being payed off...imo! So while the members model was always lauded as a success at Rovers, from the outside it seems as if a group within the members got a stranglehold of the club and seemed untouchable yet there was no cohesive strategy and the people on the board dont seem to be particularly held accountable for all the chopping and changing of direction. Anyway just my wandering thoughts on Rovers toing and froing and not going anywhere fast in any particular direction be it backing youth development ala Rovers A or handing reigns to a manager that's heavy on finances...Paul Doolin.....
    Keep on wandering aka obsessing and maybe someday you'll stumble across the truth... Or maybe you have !!👽

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    To follow League of Ireland I think we are all obsessed or masochistic! Either way a health interest in the woes of other clubs is going to be based on often forlorn hopes that things are better at your own club. I'm sure Longfrod fans would give anything t be 4 th, managerless and a European game ahead and have fans of other clubs obsessed

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    To follow League of Ireland I think we are all obsessed or masochistic! Either way a health interest in the woes of other clubs is going to be based on often forlorn hopes that things are better at your own club. I'm sure Longfrod fans would give anything t be 4 th, managerless and a European game ahead and have fans of other clubs obsessed
    Couldn't agree more albeit the odd period of success helps which our respective clubs provide in a regular basis - can't imagine what it must be like to follow one of the lease lights but I certainly admire their fans perseverance
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 04/07/2016 at 8:46 PM.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Trophies would only ruin it.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    5 pieces of silverware seem to have busted 4-600 peoples interest in Dundalk going on current attendances - thank Galway it wasnt a clean sweep.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Now that he's free, Nigel Farage might be a good fit with the Rovers faithful?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Now that he's free, Nigel Farage might be a good fit with the Rovers faithful?
    No thanks, we're already out of Europe.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Walked in to that one Stu!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Dammit. thought I had nailed it.

must try harder...

"he'd bring a different type of nuts to Tallaght"...or..."something something fascist racist something roflmao"

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    speaking of Tony Cousins why did he leave Galway Utd in his second season in the top flight?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    They'll light up the first division while still conceding a goal a game with a Premier Division squad.
    He has a Premier Division half dozen. The rest not so much. (I'm not complaining I realise the rest of the division is made up of women children and people with varying degrees of disability.)

Russell teams concede goals. But they also score goals. All the goals in the case of this season.

Pat O'Sullivan got First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC relegated last year. No one else.

Don't even know why I'm leaping to Russell's defence here I'm not a particularly big fan and I'd like him to get the rovers job because a good old fashioned farcical First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC manager hunt would lively up the second half of our parade/season.

It's just I think searing insights like "durr dry conseed a gol a game, durr he relageted dem durr can't wait to play dem durr" should have a bit of context added.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Agree with this, Limerick were a mess off the field before the start of last season between player recruitment, Jackman park and banning orders. As soon as July came Russell was allowed to add quality and he almost pulled it off. Always been a massive fan of his. Would take him in a heartbeat here even if it did mean going back down for 1 year at least the football would be attractive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Good article in the Independent today.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-34856992.html

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    He has a Premier Division half dozen. The rest not so much. (I'm not complaining I realise the rest of the division is made up of women children and people with varying degrees of disability.)

Russell teams concede goals. But they also score goals. All the goals in the case of this season.

Pat O'Sullivan got First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC relegated last year. No one else.

Don't even know why I'm leaping to Russell's defence here I'm not a particularly big fan and I'd like him to get the rovers job because a good old fashioned farcical First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC manager hunt would lively up the second half of our parade/season.

It's just I think searing insights like "durr dry conseed a gol a game, durr he relageted dem durr can't wait to play dem durr" should have a bit of context added.
    Durr? Really?

Limerick realistically probably would have stayed up with a premier division team for the whole of last season. I'll grant you that, but even when you were winning games your team was seriously flawed.

The facts are despite having a team that are running away with the first division you have conceded 16 goals in 15 games ("dur dey condeed a gol a game"). This in a division where the other 7 teams are averaging just 1.39 goals per game.

Lets look at your remarkable recovery from beyond the grave last season. Starting with your first win of the season against Sligo in August (incredible by the way) Limerick went on to win 9 games of their next twelve, drawing 2 and losing one. Incredible. In that spell they kept 2 clean sheets, at home to Derry and Rovers in their second and third last games of the season. To be fair they also kept a clean sheet in the first leg against Finn Harps in the playoffs. In those twelve games they conceded 20 goals, including 3 goals on 3 occasions. 1.667 goals per game isn't terrible but its worrying, especially when the team continues to concede in a lower division. You can't keep outscoring teams, not forever.

In the whole of the 2015 Premier Division Season Limerick kept 3 clean sheets total (the third in a 0-0 draw against Derry).

So far in the first division they have managed a few more clean sheets, 5 to be precise. Two of those have come against Cabinteely, two against Athlone and one against Cobh. Interestingly those are the three teams with the fewest goals scored this season. Cabinteely have less than a goal a game scored. Between them they have 48 goals in 45 games played, or 1.067 goals per game.
    Limerick have conceded 3 goals twice already this season, against Shels at the end of May and against UCD this weekend. They have conceded twice three times, against Waterford twice and against Drogheda in June. In fact they have conceded 8 goals in their last four games.

Limerick are runing away with the first division and will set all sorts of goalscoring records, but when you are that dominant you should be able to shut out opposing teams more often than you have done. It might be entertainging to watch but it tells me that there is a serious flaw in the way your team is set up. I haven't seen you play this year, but I saw you a few times last season, including that insane game against Sligo to end the season where you were very nearly relegated in stoppage time due to some absoultely insane defending. Enjoy the First Division Romp, but be prepared for some tougher days next season.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post

Russell had a team in great form going into the playoffs and lost it. Obviously if the budget had been more consistent you'd not have been near it, but I thought he didn't cover himself in glory during those games. For which I'll be eternally grateful.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

27. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast